WineBoard
2004 Turley Old Vines Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2004 Turley Old Vines Zinfandel (/thread-9749.html)

- dananne - 06-24-2006

Consumed with friends in the informal lobby dining area of a new, upscale Atlanta hotel Twelve. Anne and I had never tried a Turley wine, and we were with a person who is a Zin-head. Sweet nose of blueberry pie and dark plums, and all dark fruit flavors carried on a soft texture. Very plush and soft. Maybe too soft -- shouldn't Zins be a bit more unruly? Seemingly no tannins at all. I found it as easy to drink as fruit punch, but it's not my style of Zin. Yummy, I guess, but don't try to match it with food. Anne liked it maybe a bit more than I did, and it was a hit around the table. I didn't notice the alc., but it wasn't hot. RP gave it a 90-92 and said drink '05 to '09. Well, now I can say I've tried a Turley.

On an amusing side note, and this will probably only be understood by the folks from last year's offline who know what I look like, but I was mistaken for the music artist Moby all evening by the wait staff, and the waiter kept calling me "Mr. Melville" (his real name). According to the others, the service at the table really picked up once I arrived [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2006

Maybe you should change your moniker.

- winoweenie - 06-24-2006

I'm really ticked!!!My main claim to fame was when I used to wear a crew-cut EVERYBODY thot I was George Gobel.(Sorry babies, he was in youse Mamas' time. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- dananne - 06-24-2006

Well, then, in honor of WW, some classics from Hollywood Squares:

Peter Marshall: According to an old song, you should "Wrap all your troubles in..." What?
George Gobel: Furs...and tell her to stop calling your house!

Peter Marshall: Can breathing in and out of a paper bag help stop anything?
George Gobel: If it's filled with wine it can stop me from shaking.

Peter Marshall: True or false, George...experts say there are only seven or eight things in the world dumber than an ant.
George Gobel: True, and I think I voted for six of 'em.

Peter Marshall: According to the Reverend Billy Graham, what sin have you committed if drink too much?
George Gobel: Gluttony. The neighbors say I ate their cat.

Peter Marshall: True or false, the Pope believes the Vatican might be bugged?
George Gobel: And he also believes that 18 minutes of the new testament are missing.

Peter Marshall: What do you call a cow that won't give milk?
George Gobel: Hamburger.

And, finally . . .

Peter Marshall: True or false, drinking alcohol reduces the amount of male hormones in your body?
George Gobel: You can't scare me!

- winoweenie - 06-24-2006

He was one funny dude Dan! I remember one winter in Chicago at the Executive House bar having lunch with Bill Veeck and this lil'lovely comes to our table accompanied by what can only be described as the left tackle/left guard for the Bears and says " You're George Goble aint' you " Starting to shake my head vertically she turned to goliath and said " They said he was a big prude" and as he started toward my vulnerable side/front/behind I smiled widely and said " Just kidding pretty lady.... what's your first name?" WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 06-24-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2006

G.G. had been a regular on several New York based TV shows such as Ed Sullivan and others of that ilk. After he moved to Hollywood and got his own show, I cought the first one. He said: "I noticed that a lot of women out here wear slacks; I also noticed that a lot of women shouldn't wear slacks."

- dananne - 06-25-2006

It's really neat to me that you knew Bill Veeck. Bill Veeck was a legend in Chicago, as he likely was everywhere he went. My favorite story is when he signed Eddie Gaedel to a baseball contract with the St. Louis Browns. Gaedel, a midget, was sent in to draw a walk -- which he did in 4 pitches. Veeck, hearing that Gaedel might try a swing, though, told him that a sniper would be sitting in the stands! At least, that's the story as I know it. Of course, the AL Commish was not amused by the stunt, and he had the contract voided the following day. If I'm not mistaken, Veeck was also responsible for, among other things, player names on the back of jerseys, signing the first African-American to the AL (Doby), signing the oldest rookie in baseball history (Paige), installing moveable outfield fences (against the rules now), the exploding scoreboard, and the infamous Disco Demolition Night. Actually, the only time I ever saw him in Chicago was just before that. Soon after, he had to sell the Sox.

- winoweenie - 06-25-2006

Dan he was, to say it mildly, one of the greatest characters I've been privilaged to meet. Not one minute went by without him telling some regaling story that was so funny you snorted your martini thru your nose. His check kiting stories of his early days to make payroll are hilarious. WW

- wondersofwine - 06-26-2006

The restaurants I frequent know about my habits but when I go into a new restaurant and start taking notes on the wine in a little notebook some mistake me for a food critic. I've been asked several times by other diners and somethimes waitpersons if I write for a newspaper or something. It probably doesn't hurt the service if the waitpersons think I'm going to be writing up the restaurant (which I often do on this forum).

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-26-2006).]

- wondersofwine - 06-26-2006

There's Helen Turley who is famous or infamous. Then I understand that her brother has a winery. Do you know which Turley is behind the wine you tasted? I think the only one I tasted (at a Zin tasting in DC area) was from the brother.

- dananne - 06-26-2006

I believe the winery is Larry Turley's, and I don't think Helen is involved anymore. I think she stopped consulting in '95, and she now focuses most of her energies on Marcassin.

- winoweenie - 06-26-2006

Helen founded the winery with her brother and stepped out when her consultanting biz became so large. Still has a piece of the action. WW