WineBoard
99 Coffaro Dry Creek / 99 Seghesio Sonoma - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 99 Coffaro Dry Creek / 99 Seghesio Sonoma (/thread-9567.html)

- raggedy1 - 02-08-2001

David Coffaro Dry Creek Valley - This is a blend (75zin, 8PS, 7CS, 7CF, 3Barbera) 985 cases.
Ah, if only I could find more of this... I paid $18.99 and the store I purchased this at sold out before I returned for more. This definitely tasted like a blend, but it was delicious nonetheless. Coffaro has a reputation for blending unique wines, and this one doesn't disappoint. It is full of fruit and spice; even slightly sweet. I am not a fan of sweet wines, so don't misunderstand; there is a sweetness that is wonderfully balanced in with the qualities I look for in a Zin. A unique drinking experience that I highly recommend. Full, balanced, long finish and delicious!

Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel - Shows some oak that the Coffaro didn't. A little spicier than the Coffaro. The finish was not as long but it is great on the palate. Smoky, spicy and dark fruits is the best way to describe this one. A great buy at $11.59.

- Kcwhippet - 02-09-2001

raggedy,

If you want to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, with David Coffaro's wines, go to his web site at www.coffaro.com. You can then sign up for his futures and get the wines even cheaper. Since you're not that far away, you can visit and pick up your futures when they're released in the fall. Read his diary, too. It has good insight into the methods he uses to determine the blends.

- raggedy1 - 02-09-2001

Thanks for the tip! As a new fan of his wines, I will definitely be taking advantage of his futures offerings!

- mrdutton - 02-09-2001

IMHO Caffaro produces some very nice wines!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-11-2001).]

- raggedy1 - 02-09-2001

Agreed. His wines may not be true to the varietal due to his blending, they are nonetheless very tasty offerings. All wine lovers should give them a try. Fun wines...

- raggedy1 - 02-11-2001

KC, I placed my futures order this morning! 4 each of the Estate Zin, Syrah and Block 4. Grateful I will not be paying the mark up at the retail store level...
thanks again for the tip

- mrdutton - 02-11-2001

A 100% varietal red is, generally speaking, boring to me. It is the blends that add distinction to the wine and make drinking it a special experience.

I wish that I could join the crowd and get some of the Caffaro futures. Unfortunately, Virginia is not a reciprocal state. That may change in the future, but for now....... I am out of luck and out of Caffaro wines...

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-11-2001).]

- raggedy1 - 02-11-2001

KC, I've looked over the website and found quite a few articles fascinating. Dave's blunt honesty about price gouging and the true costs of winemaking are good reading. I wish more wineries would follow his lead...

- Kcwhippet - 02-12-2001

Raggedy,

Glad to hear you got in on the futures. I chanced on his web site about two years ago and I was really intrigued by his blending theory, so I ordered the futures then, as well. Plus the fact that I read in his diary about some of his visitors dropping by the winery. He mentioned Bucko, and I figured if he liked the wines, there was probably some merit to them.

MrD,

Like you in VA, we have problems getting wines shipped into MA. However, we go out to CA every fall, ostensibly to visit our daughter and her family in Sacramento. It's a great excuse to pick up our futures and do some other wine shopping. This past November we also stopped by Lewelling and picked up a case of their two 97 Cabs. Simply wonderful wines! They'd be cult wines if they weren't so inexpensive, because they only made a combined total of 433 cases.

Bob

- winoweenie - 02-12-2001

KC, I totally agree about the Cafaro and the Lewelling wines. Don't think I'd call the Lewelling inexpensive, unless you are considering the quality. As one of the only vineyards in Napa under one family ownership for over 125 years the Lewellings have produced some magnificient juice.The " Wight " vineyard is a piece of land that Has produced great grapes for most of the premium wineries in the valley. Sit on those 97s'. They be great! WW

- Kcwhippet - 02-13-2001

WW,
When I'm talking inexpensive, of course I'm speaking in relative terms. The regular bottling of the Lewelling is $33.50 and the Wight Vineyard is $42 - and then you get the 10% case discount. So, they're certainly inexpensive when you consider the prices other wineries are charging for wines made from grapes out of the same vineyards. I guess this part of the thread really should be up under the Cab heading.

Bob