WineBoard
Best Zin available now? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Best Zin available now? (/thread-9544.html)

- eskinnyc - 10-10-2003

Assuming price is no object (wouldn't that be nice?), what do you all feel is the most outstanding Zinfindel currently available? And out of curiousity, what does it go for price-wise?

From my own (limited) tastings, probably the best Zin I've ever had was the Joel Gott 2001 Dillian Ranch Amador County, around $30 I think. But the Ridge 01 Dusi Ranch Paso Robles Zin ($25) is also up there.

Thanks for the info, I'm turning into quite the Zin-ophile but last week I plunked down 40 bucks for the Ravenswood Monte Rosso, which was harsh, chunky, and lacking complexity. What a train wreck of a wine. Really disappointing since most of their mid-range county series Zins (~$15) have been pretty good.

- stevebody - 10-10-2003

I've probably tasted 200 Zins in the past six months and the one that sticks particularly in my memory was the Hartford Russian River '00. It was wonderfully complex and had an odd, fascinating aroma of lanolin at first opening. I had it with my darlin' on Valentine's Day and, over the course of three hours, it opened, breathed, and evolved remarkably, finishing up as almost a totally different wine than the one we opened. It was almost like a Barolo by the time we finished (the ONLY time we've finished a bottle of wine in one evening since we've been together!) and lingers in my memory still as a completely hedonistic experience that tickles my wine-snot synapses as well. It cost $19.99 at the time we carried it at Esquin and is regularly about $24. Hartford makes several excellent single-vineyard bottlings but none was appreciably better than this Cuvee.

I also had the '99 Ballantine Napa, which was, for $15, easily the best sub-$20 Zin I've tasted. Runners up were the Pedronelli Mother Clone, the Cedarville California, and, as usual, the Seghesio Sonoma.

- wondersofwine - 10-10-2003

I lack the wide experience with this varietal of Stevebody. I would like to try the Ridge Dusi Ranch (possibly the only 100% zinfandel wine Ridge makes) and the Scherrer zinfandels that WW writes up. My current favorites are old vine zins from DeLoach--1999 and 2000 Barbieri Ranch and 2000 Gambogi Ranch and 2000 Rosenblum Harris Kratka. The DeLoach wines were running less than $30 and the Harris Kratka less than $40. I also like Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel.

- Glass_A_Day - 10-10-2003

The 2000 Elyse. There is no substitute for vintage as Elyse is stylistically different each vintage. Now, I'm sure there are better for big bucks, but at my budget, Elyse is tops.

- Innkeeper - 10-10-2003

The recommendation for Dusi Ranch Zin is right on. If you want one different from the Ridge look for 2000 Peach Canyon, Benito Dusi Ranch, Zinfandel at $26. I'm waiting till next year to pop my 2000 Tobin James, Dusi Canyon Zin ($28) but don't think it is available any more.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 10-10-2003).]

- winoweenie - 10-10-2003

My own personal favorite of the Ridge bottles is kinda a toss-up between the Geyserville and Lytton Springs. As reported many times the Dusi is a terrific bottling but the Geyserville evolves into a great wine. I admit I'm predugiced towards the Scherrer as the old vines, IMHO, produce a majestic proportioned wine. His wines, like the Geyserville and Lytton will DEFINATELY get better with some whiskers on 'em. WW

- Thomas - 10-10-2003

Check out the Elyse that GAD speaks of--outstanding stuff.

If you want the old school of Zinfandel--instead of all the fruit, you get all the bramble--try Pellegrini Old Vines, at under $20. We used to carry it at is-wine, and we will again, but for now, we are into other things.

- Glass_A_Day - 10-25-2003

There isn't much of the 2000 left out there, so grab it while you can.

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 11-09-2003).]