WineBoard
2002 Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage (/thread-9353.html)

- robr - 07-11-2005

Has anyone tried this yet? I just bought a bottle for $13.

Rob

- Kcwhippet - 07-11-2005

If you search on Zabaco in this folder, you'll find numerous references going back to 1999.

- wondersofwine - 07-12-2005

I like both the Rancho Zabaco Sonoma Heritage Zinfandel and the Rancho Zabaco Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel (but not the Dancing Bull.)

- robr - 07-15-2005

Well,

I just opened it. Wow! This is my first bottle of red zin. I LIKE it. It has a very fruit forward flavor, and a lot of alcohol (14.2%) which gives it a little more sizzle on the tongue than I am used to.

Is this what Port tastes like?

I saw another bottle of this, a 1999 today. I think I might have to go get it.

- wondersofwine - 07-21-2005

No, it is what Zinfandel tastes like. Port is something different.
Glad you liked it.

- robr - 07-21-2005

I just got a bottle of Sandeman Port, the type which is a blend of tawny and ruby. You're right, it's nothing like Zinfandel.

As good as it is, I still prefer a drier, less sugary wine.

- californiagirl - 07-21-2005

Curious, what does the label of the Sandemans say? I'm not familiar w/ a tawny/ruby blend.

- robr - 07-22-2005

FOUNDERS RESERVE

The reverse is the usual PR stuff, the history of the family business, and an admonition to "serve in large glasses to appreciate fully"

My wine advisor (the store manager/owner) told me it was a blend of the two, and a good introduction Port. He also recommended some vintage Ports to try if I like this one, some drier, some sweeter. I can't imagine anything sweeter than this, except drinking maple syrup.

[This message has been edited by robr (edited 07-22-2005).]

- Kcwhippet - 07-22-2005

Actually the Founders Reserve is a ruby, not a blend with tawny in it. Don't know how your wine guy would think it's a blend of both types. It is blended from ruby ports from different years, though not much, if any, from declared years.

- robr - 07-22-2005

That explains why it's so sweet, then, right? Isn't the ruby the sweeter one?

- wondersofwine - 07-22-2005

I think generally the ruby and vintage ports seem sweeter than the tawny or colheita but there may be exceptions. I like the 10 and 20-year tawny ports or colheitas myself (the 10-year olds run about $20-$30 usually). They may have nutty flavors, dried fruit flavors (dried apricots, prunes, etc.), sometimes a caramel or burnt sugar aspect. Australia has some "ports" that can be enjoyable and are considerably cheaper than the real thing from Portugal. You might get a Hardys Whiskers Blake Port from Australia to compare to a Sandeman or Cockburn or other Tawny Port.

- Kcwhippet - 07-22-2005

Sandemans Founders Reserve seems to me to be a bit sweeter than most ruby ports - a bit more than I care for, frankly.

- wondersofwine - 07-22-2005

I'll keep that in mind. But in general, are ruby ports sweeter than tawny ports?

- californiagirl - 07-22-2005

It depends on your definition of sweet. I get two different things from both ports. I prefer the tawny, with the caramel, butterscotch flavors. I guess it's more rich than sweet. The ruby is still quite good in it's own right. More alcohol on the nose, (usually for me), with more concentrated black fruits.