WineBoard
'99 Campus Oaks Lodi "Old Vine" Zin - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: '99 Campus Oaks Lodi "Old Vine" Zin (/thread-9268.html)

- Drew - 10-29-2001

Wow...my new favorite. Label states 'Gnekow Family Winery, Collegeville, California'.
Deep purple, almost opaque. Rich nose of mature plum and dark fruit with spicy port like tones. Very rich, fruit forward flavors of ripe dark fruit and a touch of toasty oak that finishes looong with spicy chocolate nuances with a litte heat from the alcohol. From 80 year old vines. 14.4% Alc./vol $10.99

Drew

- winoweenie - 10-30-2001

Gnewkow? That's Wokweng bakards. There are some tremendous old zin vineyards in Lodi. Evertime I drive thru there I stop and buy some bottles from wineries I've never heard of. Some killer stuff. Are you sure of this spelling? WW

- Bucko - 10-30-2001

Their web site blurb:

Gnekow Family Winery and our Campus Oaks line were founded based on one philosophy - craft quality wines with a hands on approach from an area primed to enter the national market.

We start by working in the vineyards with our growers. Reducing crop yields, leaf pulling, and well thought out irrigation practices all lead to better fruit on the vine, which in turn provides the solid foundation upon which our wines are constructed.

Tour our spotless facility and you'll discover a bladder press that gently extracts juice from the skins, a temperature controlled cellar with a pristine barrel fermentation area, and a state of the art filtration and bottling system that further enhance the quality we carefully set in the field.

Encompass our grower relations and outstanding cellar with a premium winemaking mentality showcased by slow cool fermentation, months of barrel aging to soften our reds, barrel fermented Chardonnay with hand stirred lees to add flavor, and hours of pumping over red must to extract color, and our philosophy becomes not just a slogan, but a way of making wine on a day to day basis.

Having said all that, ultimately people are the deciding factor in any endeavor, Jim Yerkes and Blake Bomben are our winemakers, and they bring over 30 years of uncompromising winemaking ability to our team. Jim has literally won over one-hundred gold medals during his illustrious career, and Blake has become a rising start under his tutelage. Support those folks with a management team and a cellar crew that loves what the do, and once again our company mission comes shining through.

Gnekow Family Winery is proud of our Campus Oaks line, the region we represent, and the people who help us create great wines at a great price. Our practice is to continually provide the tender loving care grapes need to produce quality wine while maintaining our friendly professional approach to doing business.

- Thomas - 10-30-2001

I have made the following offer in column after column: any winery/pr firm willing to hire a writer to clean up those over-worded, pompous back label and Web site blurbs, could get me to do it for half the $ that they gave to whomever came up with the stuff. If it was written for free, well then: you gets whats you pays for and you stuck with it!

- Drew - 10-30-2001

I'll tell you what...don't worry bout the fancy wording, just buy and drink the stuff and you'll be amazed for the money...great QPR!

Drew

- Drew - 04-28-2002

Popped another tonight with grilled chicken, salad and Cuban black beans and rice and it was a match made in heaven. Very concentrated with a long, 25+sec finish. Becoming very aromatic, smooth and DELISIOUSE! One of my fav wine stores is offering a case at $115, a no brainer.

Drew

- winoweenie - 04-28-2002

Intend to stop in next month on a trip to the vine country and will definatelly report. In the meansmile, I'll have my local pursuader check and see if eeny of the local distribulators can spell the name. Once more the Cleauseau-Drewseau done smelt out von more snuper drinker. WW

- Drew - 04-28-2002

WW,(Verne) send me your e=mail address)

Drew