WineBoard
2004 7 Deadly Zins - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Zinfandel (The Real Red Stuff) (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: 2004 7 Deadly Zins (/thread-9198.html)

- winoweenie - 03-29-2006

Rhe newest version of this weel-crafted bottle. All kinds of berriness going on in the nose with just enough spiceiness to keep it interesting. Solid entry, heavy center and a 4-lapper finish. Jumped to the head of the class. Great with mesquite-broiled tri-tip. 92/91. 15 by the box. 14.9% alc. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-29-2006

The tri-tip sounds good too.

- Glass_A_Day - 03-30-2006

Got a case recently, but have not tapped into it. I look forward to the first.

- californiagirl - 04-01-2006

I can find this on sale around here for about $12. This is my all time favorite every day wine. I like their next step up too. I think it is called Earthquake.

- VouvrayHead - 04-01-2006

yeah, love this wine.
the earthquake zin is nice, too, but the earthquake petite sirah is massive and awesome.
2004 especially. i'm sure it'll be better in a few years, but it's really good already.
dare ya to drink it.

- californiagirl - 04-02-2006

Had that one too. Just as good=)

- Glass_A_Day - 04-03-2006

Just started the 04. Even better than the 03 with less heat and better fruit. Fantastic value. Had the Earthquake Syrah last weekend and it was truely a crowd pleaser.

- hotwine - 04-22-2006

Had the '04 7 Deadlies last night with oak-grilled burgers; lots of berry stuff going on but nothing dominating, very nicely integrated. Even the whopping alc wasn't noticeable. $13.89 at Costco five days ago. Great stuff!

- Innkeeper - 05-02-2006

Picked one up on sale at NH Liquor store yesterday for $14.99. Will let you know how it turns out.

- Kcwhippet - 05-02-2006

Just curious. When all these prices are quoted, how many of you pay sales tax on top of the bottle price, and how much? Here in MA, there is no sales tax on alcohol. The taxes are figured in as an excise tax the distributor pays before the retailer gets the bottle. So, the price on the shelf is what we pay. I know I had to pay sales tax on top of the bottle price in CA, but I'd like to know where else this applies. Should be interesting.

- Innkeeper - 05-02-2006

No sales tax here! The wine normally sells here for 16.99.

- hotwine - 05-02-2006

We have to pay state & local sales tax on top of the stated price. Current combined rate is 8.125%.

- winoweenie - 05-02-2006

Sales tax here keeps the economy going. WW

- Innkeeper - 05-29-2006

Had ours tonight with smoked baby back ribs in Carolina red sauce; and some salad in blue cheese dressing. All excellent!!! Marched today in full 4th Degree regalia. Don't know how I did it!

- hotwine - 05-29-2006

Good grief, IK! 'Way too hot & humid for marching, unless to the line of departure on the attack.

The Zin chosen for burgers this evening was a '98 Deerfield Ranch. Dee-lightful, still holding lots of zinsberry fruit, tannins long gone, but the 16% alc still very much in evidence (snore!)

- Drew - 11-23-2009

Popped one of these last night with my version of Chicken Chesapeake, twice baked potatoes and garlic asparagus. Spicy berry, raspberry and some underbrush. Nicely concentrated with a long finish. Very nice and still improving imho. Very nice night.

Drew

- Kcwhippet - 11-23-2009

This brought back an issue I had raised earlier - sales tax. Well, in their infinite wisdom, our stellar legislature has raised the state sales tax from 5% to 6.25% AND they've removed the alcohol exemption. So, instead of absorbing the federal and state excise tax on alcohol, we now have to pay an additional 6.25%. That amounts to a tax on a tax!!! I always thought that just wasn't done, but it sure is here now. There's been enough of a backlash that some activists have gained enough petition signatures to put a referendum on the ballot for the next election to remove the sales tax on alcohol. Let's see where this goes.

- TheEngineer - 11-24-2009

That would be nice KC. I hope it goes away too!

As for the wine, I'm a fan of it as well!

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2009

Seems appropriate that we are discussing 7 Deadly Zins and taxes on the same thread.

- Drew - 12-13-2009

Popped a 2007 7 Deadly Zins last night paired with home made red beans and rice. No formal notes but a deeply flavored, spicy zin with a long finish. Eileen loved this wine so much she made me open a second bottle.....she's not feeling 100% this morning! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/eek.gif[/img] Highly recommended. $14 on sale, (reg. $18)

Drew