WineBoard
Merlot as a gift - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Merlot (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Merlot as a gift (/thread-9134.html)

- shansde1 - 07-14-2000

I would like to buy a bottle of Merlot as a gift. I would like to spend no more than $40. Can someone recommend a good Merlot for that price or less. Thanks.

- Drew - 07-14-2000

My favorite is the 1996 St. Francis Reserve Merlot and its close to $40, $35 if you look hard. The Blackstone Napa Merlot is great for about $20.

Drew

- shansde1 - 07-14-2000

Thanks for your reply, Drew. I really appreciate it.

- Bucko - 07-14-2000

The best Merlot that I have tried in a while (and I am not a big Merlot fan) is:

1997 Geyser Peak, Merlot, Reserve, Sonoma County, $32, 940 cases. Hang on to your hats! This is one big, blow your socks off Merlot. If you like BIG, this one is for you. Loads of blackberry and blueberry fruit, chocolate, and balanced smoky oak come together in a tasty offering. The tannins are generous but rounded. Drink over the next ten years.

Bucko

- shansde1 - 07-15-2000

Thanks Bucko!

[quote]Originally posted by Bucko:
[b]The best Merlot that I have tried in a while (and I am not a big Merlot fan) is:

1997 Geyser Peak, Merlot, Reserve, Sonoma County, $32, 940 cases. Hang on to your hats! This is one big, blow your socks off Merlot. If you like BIG, this one is for you. Loads of blackberry and blueberry fruit, chocolate, and balanced smoky oak come together in a tasty offering. The tannins are generous but rounded. Drink over the next ten years.

Bucko[/b][/quote]

- winoweenie - 07-15-2000

Shan, Welcome to the board. Both choices given to you are fine wines. IF you can find it you should look at Pride Vineyards. On top of Spring Mountain they produce some marvelous wines , but the Pride and joy(Couldn`t Resist) of winemaker Bob Foley`s stable is his Merlot. And this young man can make some wunnerful juice. Winoweenie

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-15-2000).]

- MrGarrison - 08-01-2000

I too am looking for a good merlot and am wondering: I found the following here on wine.com 1998 Blackstone Winery Merlot, California - is this the same Blackstone Napa Merlot everyone suggests on here?

- hotwine - 08-02-2000

That's the one. Should be priced at $9.99-10.99 per bottle.

- Drew - 08-02-2000

MrGarrison, there are two Blackstone Merlots. Blackstone, California about $10 and Blackstone Napa about $18. Both are good....the Napa a little richer.

Drew

- hotwine - 08-02-2000

Hmmm. Thanks, Drew. I've been slugging away at the $10 Blackstone, not knowing there was another one. But I'll go on doing that, for it's a wonderful wine.
Gil

- winoweenie - 08-02-2000

Mr G and Hotsie, the Blackstone Calif is a 98 whilst the Napa is 97. The extra bottle age adds some stuff and such plus the fruit has more Nappi-ness. The Napa is a superior(IMHO) bottling for the extra bucks. The Calif is a nice food wine. However, both have one marvelous attribute;..They both be RED. Winoweenie

- cd4814 - 08-03-2000

MR G.

WW is correct, the Napa is a 1997. I picked one up last night with a case of the 98 California Blackstone Merlot. I had the shop keeper order the Napa after seeing a post from Drew. (Drew, spent many a great summer vaccation at O.C. growing up, hope you have a BLAST). I have never bought a whole case before, this should bring to lite how much I like the 98 BS Merlot California.
Plan to pull the cork on the Napa tonight!

Cheers,
Clint

[This message has been edited by cd4814 (edited 08-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by cd4814 (edited 08-03-2000).]

- hotwine - 08-03-2000

Regarding your case purchase, Clint: Bravo! I'm sure there will be many more.
Highly recommend that Blackstone accompany a hearty meal of grilled beef. Tell your beloved that you need to eat steak at least once each week, to do justice to the wine.

- winoweenie - 08-05-2000

Clint, what Hottie forgot to mention was that by eating beef every week you keep the economy in his state MOO-ving along.(hehehehe) winoweenie

- hotwine - 08-05-2000

I didn't want to be too obvious in plugging the state (and family) economy, Wino. But you're right!

- winoweenie - 08-06-2000

Goodness Gracious Hotwine, Take a lesson from the champion recluse of all time Foodie. Reluctantly,and with a modicum of humility,humor, and greed his plug was as discreet as our visit to Hiroshima. winoweenie

- winoweenie - 08-06-2000

[quote]Originally posted by winoweenie:
[b]Goodness Gracious Hotwine, Take a lesson from the champion recluse of all time Foodie. Reluctantly,and with a modicum of humility,humor, and greed his plug was as discreet as our visit to Hiroshima. winoweenie[/b][/quote]By the way Shansde1 we spell your name in our area Sunshade-15