WineBoard
Last night's tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Last night's tasting (/thread-7866.html)

- Duane Meissner - 07-12-2008

Hosted a successful tasting last night. Did a short tour of Southern Tuscany. The following are the wines that made a positive impression on the drinkers for one reason or another.

Bruni Poggio D'Elsa. 50/50 Cab and Sangiovese. 12.5% alcohol. As this was the first wine of the evening, and I was playing host for the first time, I wasn't paying too close attention to my palate. Nothing spectacular, but I remember this one being rather nice for the $10.95 price tag.

2006 Morellino Di Scansano "Marteto," again by Bruni. 85% Sang. 15% Merlot. 12.5% alcohol. This is more like it! I'm drinking the last left-over glass as I type. It has held up decently overnight. The merlot (at the 15% legal maximum) did a better job of taming the juice in this one. A nice buy at $17.20

2004 Rocca Di Frassinello Poggio Alla Guardia. 45% Merlot, 40% Cab, 15% Sang. Surprisingly no oak aging. This was the wine of the night, almost unanimously. Tasted like a right bank Bordeaux (and could rival many that I have had at double or triple the price). Mild spice, earthy, with nice tannins. It is a joint effort by Paolo Panerai and Eric de Rothschild. This one will drink excellent for a number of years. It's an absolute steal at only $20.50! Highly recommended.

Had three others, but they were either not impressive, or had a QPR that didn't make them worthwhile. What have I learned over the past week? 1. For me, Sangiovese needs to be tamed by some other grape. 2. I appreciate the presence of merlot more than I'd like to admit. 3. I can't wait for my Tuscan vacation in September!

- winoweenie - 07-13-2008

Nice notes Duane.I've kinda' eased into some Italians the last year or so meself. When I first started drinking wine seriously most of them were absolute plonk dressed up in a straw basket. Have been pleasantly surprised on several occassions. WW

- dananne - 07-13-2008

With the board's other MO resident traveling, I thought I'd ask you: Have you ever tried any wines from Adam Puchta or Les Bourgeois? I'm traveling up there in a week, and I'll be passing some wineries. I wondered if either of these was worth a stop.

- Duane Meissner - 07-13-2008

Haven't visited or tasted from either of those, but have toured several MO wineries in the St. Louis and Branson areas. I'm not much of a fan of whites and usually do not taste them, so I can't speak for those. Some wineries up here do some rather nice things with the Norton grape, and I've had a few very enjoyable "ports," but other than that I haven't been impressed with anything out of MO - they tend to be overly fruity and sweet.

Chances are the whites are better than the reds (??) In any case, it's beautiful up here now, and any tour should be quite enjoyable! I'd be interested in getting your opinion after you've been through.

DM

- TheEngineer - 07-14-2008

Great notes Duane! There are many great values to be found in Italian wines. Even the greats are not necessarily that expensive (Try a Mastrobernadino Taurusi (sp) for example .... incredible wines for around $30-$35).

BTW, you are gonna have a great time in Tuscany! You are even smarter going after the vacation crowds have left and hopefully will find a more normal pace of life to Tuscany when you are there. Post picts!

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 07-14-2008).]

- dananne - 07-14-2008

Thanks, Duane. I like Norton, and I've tasted many nice hybrids and natives from everywhere from Illinois to Georgia. I'll let you know where we visit/what we taste when we're back from our trip.