WineBoard
Prosecco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Prosecco (/thread-7778.html)

- mrdutton - 11-30-2000

In another thread, Foodie posted his opinion that Prosecco and Parmesan cheese went well together. He also noted that proscuitto would go well with the sparkler.

Substitutes: I used Asiago cheese and cured Virginia Ham (Surry Ham from Edwards, not Smithfield - there is a difference).

Why Asiago, cuz the price was right and it was available. Why Virginia Ham....... oh- come-on!!!!

Delicious combinations; a wonderful, dry white with subtle little bubbles which snapped, crackled and popped on the end of my tongue!!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-30-2000).]

- Thomas - 12-01-2000

Dutton, we are each accused of chauvinism--me for Italian stuff; you for Virginia!

There is a difference between a fine chunk of Reggiano and a piece for grating. In fact, the first time I tasted Reggiano in the Friuli district I was incredulous that such a fine cheese existed and I had yet to taste it. I was more shocked when I learned that it was Reggiano--no relationship to the often dry, hard tasteless stuff many stores in the USA offer as parmesan.

As for Asiago--another wonderful cheese.

- mrdutton - 12-01-2000

I've had Parmesano-Reggiano from stores here in the US and have really liked it. But, I've never had the pleasure of tasting it in Italia herself (though I've been there a number of times).

Did you notice my Crab Stuff recipe? I indicated the use of Guryere or Asiago. Both fine cheeses just for nibbling let alone using for cooking. The last batch I made, I used Asiago. Yum, yum, yum......!!

We munched the crab dip with a Prosecco and then with an Alsatian Pinot Gris. YUM!

Oh-by-the-way, should I ever get back to Italy one of the places I want to visit most is Genoa, second is Venice (because I've never been there) and third is Porto Fino.

Been to the two places three times before (amongst many others) and ....... well you know........ especially Porto Fino, wow!

Also liked Naples and Rome. (Actually, at first I hated Naples, then I got out of the gut [water-front area, kinda like skid-row] and learned more about the city and the people - that is when I really started to like the place.)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-02-2000).]

- Thomas - 12-02-2000

I am one of those grouches who dislikes Venice: too greedy and commercial for me; had to watch my wallet. But if you do get into the Veneto region, you will be surprised by some of the wine quality.

Haven't visited Genoa yet.

- mrdutton - 12-02-2000

Foodie, as I am sure you must know: When a recipe calls for something exotic that is not available locally, then the only choice is to replace that item with something local.

Good cured ham from Italy is difficult to find around here. Good cured ham from Virginia is a no-brainer.

Don't even mention fresh mozzarella - impossible to find around here. One store said they had it. When I went there to check it out, the stuff was wrapped in plastic. Fresh, come on, get outta here!

I told them no way this is fresh. I said, "where's the water-soaked stuff", they said, "huh". I left without any cheese. Maybe I should have asked for home-made......

GRIN