WineBoard
Barolo and Barbaresco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Barolo and Barbaresco (/thread-7657.html)

- JohnG - 01-02-2003

I'm a big fan of Italian reds, but because I rarely spend over $15 for a bottle of wine, I've never tried some of the more expensive Italians. Now having won my fantasy football league championship, I can justify (to my better half) buying some nicer bottles. I'd like to try barolo or barbaresco because they seem to represent the best that Italy offers (true?).

Most of the barolos that I've seen around here are $50 and up, whereas the barbarescos are in the $30's. How similar/different are these two wines? Are there particular producers or years that folks would recommend?

Thanks very much!

- Kcwhippet - 01-02-2003

Both wines are similar in that they're both from the Piedmont district of Italy and they're both made from the Nebbiolo grape. As for vintages, 1996 through 2000 are all very good years with 1998 probably the best of the lot. Be prepared to spend the bucks for wines from the better producers, and be prepared to let them sit in the cellar for 5, 10 or more years to let their huge tannins resolve.

- Thomas - 01-02-2003

As to the "best that Italy has to offer" not on your life. You can save money and get some great Italian wines if you go after Ruche or Barbera D'Alba (Piedmonte), Sagrantino, Rosso di Montefalco (Umbria), Cabernet Franc or Merlot (Friuli Venezia-Gulia), Lagrein (Trentino), Aglianico (Campania or Basilicata), and the beat goes on...

- JohnG - 01-03-2003

Thanks very much for the information. So, perhaps Barolo is only the king of marketing? I appreciate the tips for other reds to try -- I don't remember seeing those names at the wine shops I frequent (none of which do justice to Italy), but perhaps I'll just have to look a little harder.

- scimmiatinit - 01-03-2003

Dear JohnG of course it' s just my personal opinion but please don't give up with Barolo and Barbaresco...
as to the "best that Italy has to offer"..I would say "some of the best that Italy has to offer"...
for sure very typical indeed !
so GO ON and buy one of the great traditional producers of Barolo(I don't know if You can find Mascarello or Conterno)and keep it for a special occasion in the following 5 to 10 years
..or if You are lucky and want to spend maybe a little more buy an "old" one (eighties)and drink it right now !
They are not "easy" and often very personal in style but I am sure they will bring to You a memorable scent of the wonderful Piemonte ...

- stevebody - 01-11-2003

Must, must, must alert you and anyone else who cares to the 1997 Seghesio Barolo "La Villa". My Gawd, what a beautiful bottle of wine. I poured it for a British symphony conductor - a guy who has a basement full pricey Bordeaux and Burgundy at home - at my restaurant and he swooned, saying it compared with some of the very best Paulliac and Margaux he had ever tasted. Retails in the lower end of the Barolo spectrum, too, about $45. The vintage may have changed over to '98 but a lot of people think this is the Seghesio from CA that makes those nice Zins, when actually the two families are only very distantly related and these guys are old Piedmonte citizens. The '98 is almost as nice but try for the '97. I cannot recommend a wine more highly. WARNING: Italians may say this is not a typical Barolo. Agreed. I'm just saying it's a splendid job of winemaking, not a classic, representative Barolo.