WineBoard
Nina Franco Prosecco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Nina Franco Prosecco (/thread-7592.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-03-2003

This may have been my first Prosecco--just a 1.5 oz. pour at a wine bar/restaurant to try it out. It was a medium straw color. Quite refreshing and tasty, slightly lemony. Would go with many appetizers or salads and seafood entrees. Foodie, I got the impression somewhere that Prosecco was like a Champagne Rose' with raspberry flavors and maybe a pink or blush color. Is Prosecco the grape? Is it a white grape? What's the deal?

- winedope1 - 11-03-2003

WOW- this wasmy best personal adventure of the summer. (finding Prosecco, that is) I have been drinking Mionetto Prosecco- haven't tried yours yet. Prosecco, as far as I know is both the grape name and the name of the wine. I know that there was a topic on this earlier in the year but I can't remember which section of the Board it was on. I find it very appealing with a number of different light foods and have been trying to keep a bottle or two on hand. WD

- hotwine - 11-03-2003

Our favorite Italian jernt (Ristorante Grisini in San Antonio) serves Prosecco as a complementary dessert wine. Very refreshing, and in a full-sized Champagne flute.

- Botafogo - 11-03-2003

Our general discription of Prosecco is as follows:

Mother Natures final retort to wine coolers, lite beer, alco-pop and other fizzy, cold, but ultimately unsatisfying industrial crap, Prosecco just plain rules: It is is not about being super dry and toasty and yeasty and all those things we love in great fizz from la Champagne, it chooses to forgo the cerebral path and head straight for the pleasure centers of your brain. It is lighter, zestier and more aromatic but never actually sweet and has plenty of refreshing acidity to take on anything from traditional anti-pasti platters to chicken salad, ceviche, Thai food or even some serious BBQ.

Quality producers include Toffoli, Ruggeri, Bisol, Nino Franco (although from Wonder's post Nino may have gone to Sweden and become Nina), Col Vetaraz, Loredan Gasparini and a few more.

Mionetto is OK for a large industrial producer but costs less than all of the above in Italy and more here as they are applying Santa Marg-a-whatta style marketing dollars.

As to what it is: Prosecco is a grape. Prosecco di Valdobbiadene or Prosecco di Conegliano are DOC Zonas. It is made Charmat method to retain the aromatics and you want it fresh. Any rose color or exessive sweetness is the result of someone putting framboise or some other liquor into it (and the classic aperitivo, Bellini, is made with Prosecco, pureed white peaches and a touch of raspberry).

Cheers, Roberto

- Thomas - 11-03-2003

Roberto beat me to it. But I do like Bellenda and Ombra Prosecci over many others. As for Mionetto, it is priced over its quality--in my always humble opinion.

- winedope1 - 11-03-2003

Mionetto is just my first experience with Prosecco. I do plan to expand my experience, especially now that I have some good names from you all.

- quijote - 11-03-2003

I haven't tried it yet, but plan to have a bottle on Thanksgiving. I'll look for one of the recs.

- Kcwhippet - 11-04-2003

Our favorite is Bisol. It's not a Champagne, but it is a delicious, non-pretentious, great tasting sparkler.

- ShortWiner - 11-08-2003

Had the Nino Franco "Rustico" as part of "Holly quit her job" celebration last night. Didn't take notes, but it was a good example, with a bit of a floral, nearly Muscatish touch. It's a Prosecco di Valdobbiadene, 11% alc.

- quijote - 12-01-2003

We had the Nino Franco "Rustico" on T-Day, with a cheese plate (Saint Andre triple creme and Coach Farms Goat Cheese, plated with walnuts, basil, Carr's water biscuits). It was delicious--certainly strides better than the similarly-priced Spanish cavas I've had. Even my friend, a bubbly-hater, enjoyed this one. Thanks for the rec.