WineBoard
Foradori Teroldego Rotaliano - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Foradori Teroldego Rotaliano (/thread-7553.html)

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2002

1995 Foradori, Vigneto Sgarzon, Teroldego Rotaliano ($18.99 WineExpo). This is one of those deals one falls into when visiting the Little Ole Wineshop on Santa Monica Blvd. We picked up two as part of a mixed case during our early February visit. Roberto held it until we finished our subsequent three week roadtrip with granddaughter. When the case arrived this was the only one we couldn't put a face or price to. So, we popped the first one with grillpanned Porterhouse steak last night. It and the match were fabulouso. So we wired Roberto to get the details, thinking it might be a cab/merlot blend with a splash of nebbiolo and some Italian earth thrown in. He replied that it was a varietal, that normally went for $45, that Ms Foradori stopped bottling it, and that he stole it from the importer.

Teroldego Rotaliano grows only in Trentino, at least up to this point. It is almost black in color, gives you blackberries on the nose and upfront, and dense flavor with crisp acidity and smooth tannin across the palate. The finish is still in my grey matter. If I were thee, would call immediately to see if he has any more.

- Innkeeper - 09-22-2002

Well again it was a sad night. We opened the second and last bottle with stuffed peppers in the Tuscan style, and deep fried zucchini. Simply wonderful, but sad. Why do good things have to come to an end. Only God knows.

- Innkeeper - 10-03-2003

Wine Spectator (10/31/03) has named Elisabetta Foradori who has been running her winery for 20 or her 38 years, as one of "Italy's New Faces." She looks good on the cover and in the article, but "new face!" Sigh!

Incidentally our favorite wine shop in Santa Monica has one of her 2000s for $3 less than we paid for the '95 above (it may not be the exact same wine). At any rate happiness is having two of the '00s squirreled away.

- Botafogo - 10-03-2003

Wow, I have not seen that yet (we don't sell their rag and I am frantically packing to go to Rio on Sunday Morning) but if they think that a winery that has had BIG press and worldwide distribution for 15 years is new then they are REALLY stupider (or, more likely, more arrogant as in "if we don't talk about it it doesn't exist") than I thought.

Karl, the current offering is the "basic" Teroldego but it is her best such yet and may give the Granato ($40) a run for the money....

Ate logo meus amigos, Robertinho

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 10-04-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 01-04-2004

2000 Foradori, Teroldego Rotaliano ($15.99 WineExpo). This may be her "basic" wine, but it is a bottle and a half! Very dark and robust. Gives you a rush of black fruit and spice on the nose and upfront. Huge complexity of more fruit and spice, Mezzolombarden dirt, and chewy tannin cross the palate. The finish lingers on and on. Matched very well with sliced grillpanned sirloin covered with richly sauteed mushrooms, accompanied with baked sweet potatoes, and salad vinaigrette. All, very very nice.

- Glass_A_Day - 01-04-2004

I was curious so I went to the WS site. They have been rating it for the last 15 years, so I guess they knew about it before now. I was suprised to see it only got an 85 for the 2000 vintage. Goes to show opinions vary!!

- Innkeeper - 03-16-2004

Popped another '00 tonight with the last of our last batch of Belgian Beef Stew. It was fantastic; better than either of the Australians we had with the first two batches. Will remember this, believe us.