WineBoard
2002 "Santa Cristina" Sangiovese - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 "Santa Cristina" Sangiovese (/thread-7541.html)

- jackl - 11-24-2003

2002 Santa Cristina Sangiovese Tuscana

I was looking for a basic Chianti but this was the closest thing I found. It seemed to be a straighforward, decent sangiovese. Aroma of cherry pie on first opening, tasting of dark sweet cherries with a nice, clean finish. Nothing fancy but it did the trick and was better than some basic Chiantis I´ve tried. I´ve heard that 2002 was a particularily bad year for Tuscany. Anyone else heard this? It seemed to me the producer managed to scrape together some decent grapes for this wine, though it would probably hard to judge much from a wine like this.

- scimmiatinit - 11-25-2003

"I´ve heard that 2002 was a particularily bad year for Tuscany. Anyone else heard this?"

Right !!! A bad year for most italian regions.

Santa Cristina, in Italy, is considered a "supermarket" wine (like Pinot Grigio santa Margherita which is so popular abroad!). Good ratio quality-price nothing more...

- Auburnwine - 11-25-2003

There is much more to Italian reds than the chiantis that are so readily available in the U.S.

For example, Falesco's Vitiano is inexpensive and widely distributed and provides greater depth and flavor than equivalently priced chiantis.

- Thomas - 11-25-2003

...and if you can find a Morellino in Houston go for it. It is another under-rated Tuscan wine here in the USA.

- Kcwhippet - 11-25-2003

Why is everybody frowning? While the Morellino is a wonderful expression of Sangiovese, it also usually contains about a 15% mix of Cabernet Sauvignon, Malvasia Nera and Canaiolo Nero.

Oh great! The smilies get reordered and now I'm aghast!!

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 11-26-2003).]

- Auburnwine - 11-25-2003

I'll continue to toot my horn for Sicily and Umbria (and wonder about other regions) as supplements to the wines of Tuscany.

Oh, and I believe the Vitiano is a fairly-equal blend of Cab, Merlot and Sangiovese.

[And I cannot make that purple frownie face go away -- it was not intentional!]

[Oh -- I just read the posting about the new server. Purple frowns seem to be a temporary default. I understand.]

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 11-25-2003).]

- jackl - 11-25-2003

Yes, I have seen the Vitiano in the store (it was actually right next to Santa Christina when I bought it), but I was just in the mood for a straight Sangiovese. I have had a few wines from Umbria, which I've enjoyed, but like the Vitiano they were blends that usually included sangiovese, merlot among others. If I want just sangiovese (or mostly), then I find that Tuscany seems to be the place to go. One that I haven't tried is a Morellino. That is one that will have to go on the list. Thanks.

- Thomas - 11-25-2003

jackl, it's full name is Morellino di Scansano--that is its DOC designation. While it may contain a blend of about 15% of other grapes (not all do) it truly is an outstanding version of Sangiovese, and usually at a better price than many Chianti of comparable quality.

- Kcwhippet - 11-26-2003

One Morellino di Scansano I like a lot, for it's wonderful Sangiovese qualities and for its QPR, is the one from Erik Banti. You should be able to find it around $9 or less.

- jackl - 11-26-2003

I have spotted one or two of these in the stores though I haven't seen one quite that cheap ($9). In any event I'll give one a try one of these days. thanks.