WineBoard
3 reds, 3 whites at sponsored event - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: 3 reds, 3 whites at sponsored event (/thread-7524.html)

- wondersofwine - 02-28-2007

The second monthly meeting of the Fayetteville Wine Society went much smoother than the first when the number of walk-ins overwhelmed the organizers. This time the crowd was somewhat smaller, more staff were on hand to do the pouring, large information packets were available on the wines tasted and on Italian wine nomenclature in general, and we sat comfortably at tables with antipasto on each table and the pourers came around to us instead of us standing in line each time to try a different wine or get some food from the buffet.
We tried 3 white and 3 red Italian wines in flights of two.

2004 Pietra Porzia Frascati Superiore Regillo, 13.2% alcohol (about $10 a bottle?)
Frascati is associated with Rome.
From Trebbiano, Greco and Malvasia grapes--the Superiore usually has more Malvasia.
Floral scents. Quite acidic on the palate. Less flowery taste than nose would suggest. Suggestions of pear. I prefered the Gavi di Gavi to this but the crowd was divided on preferences.

2004 Broglia Gavi di Gavi La Meraina, Piedmont 12% alcohol single vineyard within the Gavi village district
Slightly more texture than the first wine. Nice. Would be good with a variety of seafood. Growing district is near the coast and the populace would consume lots of seafood there normally. Reminds me a bit of an unoaked chardonnay.

2003 Maso Poli "Costa Erta" Chardonnay, Trentino 13% alcohol Pale color. Leaves legs on the side of the glass.
fermentation for 8-10 months in barriques
Nice rich nose. Slight hint of buttery popcorn but not too overdone IMHO. After swirling, it leaves a nice impression on the palate, coating it well. Taste of vanilla and muted white fruits. Good finish--some length for a white wine. I liked this one best of the white wines.

2004 Rive Barbera d'Asti Piedmont Langhe region 14.5% alcohol DOC wine
available for purchase for $24 a bottle
Big nose. Dark crimson color. Nebbiolo grape. Winemaker uses new and one-year old French barriques. Fruity, with cherries and some unerlying pleasant funk or earthiness. Suggestion of mushrooms. I have not been thrilled with the few Barbera I've tried, but this was pretty nice. I could find other types of wine that I would prefer at this price point.

I didn't get the vintage on the next wine (copious packet did not give the vintage!)
Azienda Agricola Bruni Palo Morellini di Scansano Martello (I didn't bring the info packet with me so will go back and edit 12.5% alcohol $16 a bottle
Described as a baby Tuscan or baby super Tuscan. 30% Merlot with Sangiovese. Dark crimson color but not opaque. Quite smooth tasting. Could be food friendly with pork or roast game birds--similar to the way I might pair a Pinot Noir.

Final wine was a winner--2000 Camigliano Brunello di Montalcino $59 a bottle and limited supply
13.5% alcohol
Medium garnet color. Very pleasant taste (I might even call it lip-smacking). Most Brunello can age 10-30 years. Italy experienced good vintages in 1999, 2000, and 2001.

I enjoyed the evening, conversation at the table and the antipasto and wines. ($15 fee)

I signed up for the March meeting which will feature Old World vs. New World. The sommelier at Hilltop House restaurant has joined with a couple wine distributors, a wine retailer and the wine director of an Italian restaurant in town (I believe he is also a son of the family that owns the restaurant) to plan the meetings and to make the wines available for pickup at several locations at a members' rate. She (the sommelier--should there be an extra 'e' on the end for a female?) is very enthusiastic about wine and wants the meetings to be both fun and educational.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-28-2007).]

- hotwine - 02-28-2007

Good notes, Wonders, as always.

I poured the '01 Castel Giocondo Brunello for guests from Turkey last night, and they were suitably impressed. That's the only label I have of the '01s and would like to find more.

- Drew - 03-01-2007

Very nice notes and a great entry price!

Drew

- wondersofwine - 03-01-2007

HW,
How did you end up with guests from Turkey (if the question isn't too nosy).

- hotwine - 03-01-2007

Not too nosy at all, Wonders. My better half spent two weeks there in September on a tour and met these folks; they were in our area on business and called to ask to visit, which we were pleased to accommodate. They were only here for a few hours. They represent some 1600 families who are weavers of oriental rugs back in Turkey and work out of Atlanta under the business name "Anatolean Treasures". Really nice folks, with exquisite heirloom-quality rugs. Good taste in vino, too.