WineBoard
help - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: help (/thread-748.html)

- densonnier - 09-20-1999

hi i'm very very inexperienced when it comes to wines...i am having a dinner party this weekend...i'm preparing a light salad, and a main course of shrimp spaghetti, (red sauce).......i don't know what kind of wine to buy. i heard that a Pinot Noir or a kiante (spelling?) would be good. also an issue is price, being that i am in college. thanks

- Randy Caparoso - 09-20-1999

You are wise beyond your years. Chianti from Italy and Pinot Noir from California are two excellent choices for dishes with tomato based sauces; and if you use a good, round, winey vinegar (like a balsamic) and a good extra virgin olive oil, the wines will do pretty good with your shrimp salad as well. Some oven crisped French bread slathered with garlicy butter, or simply dipped in olive certain can't hurt either!

You can get perfectly delicious wines for $8 to $12. The best value in Chianti type wine that I know of is the Antinori "Santa Cristina." For Pinot Noir, both Napa Ridge and Mirassou make excellent, reasonably priced examples. Others may have suggestions. Enjoy!

- Jerry D Mead - 09-21-1999

Another good Chianti in the price range is Gabbiano which is imported by the Beringer folks...another tasty Pinot Noir at a reasonable price is Meridian.

Let us know how it turns out.

Note to Randy: I think the shrimp are in the sauce not the salad, but I think Pinot and Chianti still work fine, don't you?

- misterjive - 09-24-1999

Another sugestion for a reasonable bottle of Chianti is 1995 Isole e Olena, which can occasionally be found for under $20-25. Ditto Castello Quercetto. Avignonesi Sangiovese is usually under $15. Pinot Noirs are also a good bet, but if the tomato-based sauce is spicy, don't be afraid of California zinfandels.

Another sugestion for a reasonable bottle of Chianti is 1995 Isole e Olena, which can occasionally be found for under $20-25. Ditto Castello Quercetto. Avignonesi Sangiovese is usually under $15. Pinot Noirs are also a good bet, but if the tomato-based sauce is spicy, don't be afraid of California zinfandels.

Another sugestion for a reasonable bottle of Chianti is 1995 Isole e Olena, which can occasionally be found for under $20. Ditto Castello Quercetto. Avignonesi Sangiovese is usually under $15. Pinot Noirs are also a good bet, but if the tomato-based sauce is spicy, don't be afraid of California zinfandels.

And one more thing--don't be afraid of posting the same reply twenty times, especially when your computer and/or brain is malfunctioning!

- densonnier - 09-28-1999

hey guys, thanks for all your help. my party was a huge success. i got many complements on both the dinner and the wine( I'm so proud.....i'll have to do this agian) I got a couple of different wines. not sure which brand of pinot noir, but the chianti was a Raffini. we all had a great dinner and dessert....great wine (and also had some cigars) thanks again. your help has been immeasurable. dennis