WineBoard
Gutturnio Colli Piacentini - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: Gutturnio Colli Piacentini (/thread-7363.html)

- paolo - 12-30-2000

I've been trying to find a US importer of
Gutturnio from the Piacenza hills ( colli piacentini) region of Italy. I've found 1 or 2 wineries in Italy that will ship directly , but the shipping costs are 4 to 5 times the cost of the wine. If anyone knows of where to look I'd appreciate the info. Been looking on the internet quite a bit , but havent found a US importer. I'm in the NY metropolitan area.
I've been trying to find a US importer of
Gutturnio from the Piacenza hills ( colli piacentini) region of Italy. I've found 1 or 2 wineries in Italy that will ship directly , but the shipping costs are 4 to 5 times the cost of the wine. If anyone knows of where to look I'd appreciate the info. Been looking on the internet quite a bit , but havent found a US importer. I'm in the NY metroploitan area.

- Botafogo - 12-30-2000

Vias Imports (who handle Dal Forno, Aldo Conterno and Foradori) import wines from Castello Luzzano including a Gutturnio Reserva called Romeo. They are based in NY so you should be able to find them.

Roberto

- Thomas - 12-30-2000

Paolo, unless you have a license to sell wine either at wholesale or at retail you cannot legally import direct from Italy.

Go to your favorite wine retail shop and ask the proprietor to look up the product in Beverage Media magazine, or buy one of the magazines yourself in Manhattan (Coliseum Books on 57th Street). That mag is a listing of distributors and products they sell in NY State. There is no guarantee that the product you seek is imported into the US, but if it is, you can find it that way.

- RAD - 12-30-2000

Foodie, while it may be illegal, it is still possible. The last time I was in Italy, in May of 1998, places were recommended to me that would ship wine to the States--at a price, of course. This is somewhat analogous, I suppose, to the "Mailboxes Etc" type shipping posts that exist in Napa/Sonoma that will ship anywhere in the US, regarless of the law.

But Foodie, your response really rubbed me the wrong way. You said "Go to your favorite wine retail shop..."

While I know you just opened a shop, and I plan on purchasing wine from you, this whole 3-tier system, I believe, is utterly ridiculous. I am all for empowering the consumer/customer. And while there are no doubt shops like yours, Roberto's, and CCK's that will no doubt bend over backwards to please customers, I want to be able to have the option to make a call or point and click and have a second (or third) means of getting things.

No offense meant. I feel better now. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

RAD

- mrdutton - 12-30-2000

RAD - you are so very correct. However, I don't think foodie is in a position to encourage civil disobedience. At least not in public forum.

I am not trying to speak for him, the above statement is my opinion. He fought long and hard to get his license; I don't think he would want it taken away because he encouraged private citizen importation of wines from either out of state or out of country.

We all should be able to purchase wine from any source we may so please to use. However, that is not yet the case. Free trade has a long road to travel before we can all buy what we want from where we want.

- Thomas - 12-31-2000

Gee RAD, you either are sensitive or insensitive, cannot figure out which. I simply stated the obvious, and as Dutton points out, it would be foolish of me, or anyone, to encourage someone who may not know that what he/she is about to do could get him/her into legal trouble.

I, too, hate the three tier system, and I hate the government and its many interventions into my life, not the least of which is how wine is over-regulated. I hate it almost as much as I hate insurance agents, stock brokers and all those middle-people who perform a regulated service that costs the consumer extra.

I happen to be connected to wine and food because I cannot think of a better way to earn a living and not because I want everyone's money. If it were not regulated, i think I still would sell wine.

- paolo - 12-31-2000

Thank you all for your replies.

Maybe I was not clear in my original question. I'm not a seller or buyer or anything.
I'm just a consumer who is appreciates greatly the wines that come from the Piacenza province of Italy. I'm just looking for somewhere here in the US that I can periodically buy cases of this type of wine as easily as I could buy a case of Chianti or San Giovese.

That said, thanks for your responses . I appreciate them greatly.