WineBoard
ITALIAN DESSERT WINES - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Italian Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-24.html)
+--- Thread: ITALIAN DESSERT WINES (/thread-7349.html)

- GUSS - 04-01-2002

I WAS IN ITALY 2YEARS AGO AND CAME ACROSS A DESSERT WINE NAMED PICOLIT. PICOLIT WAS ONE OF THE BEST WINES I EVER TASTED.I READ ABOUT THIS WINE AND A SIMILAR WINE(VERDUZZO DI RAMANDOLO)THEY ARE VERY RARE DO TO THE GRAPES NOT ALWAYS MATURING.DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD FIND THESE WINES HERE IN THE U.S. I BOUGHT THIS WINE AT A MILITARY INSTALLATION.THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION.

- winedope - 04-01-2002

Gus- welcome to the board. it is considered equivalent to shouting at the top of your voice to capitalize your entire note. sorry, I can't help you, but I'm sure someone here can.

- Drew - 04-01-2002

A check of www.winesearcher.com reveals many Picolit available but alas all in Italy. Please tell us where you're located and may be some one on the board can help.

Drew

- Botafogo - 04-02-2002

How much would you like? It is indeed wonderful but is not inexpensive. Expect to pay at least $25 per 500ml bottle or more. If you want some I can order it pronto, Roberto

- Thomas - 04-02-2002

As Roberto knows, Picolit is a rare commodity, and many Italians scorn those who say they produce it, since--they claim--too much of it is in the bottle as it relates to how little of it is in the ground.

The rumor is that Picolit is a "wild" or indiginous variety!

As for Verduzzo: love it, and it is available here in New York.

- winedope - 04-02-2002

could one of you guys in the know tell me a little about thi/these wines ? sounds interesting. Thanks, WD

- Thomas - 04-02-2002

winedope, Picolit gets its name from its minuscule (or piccolo) production on the vine. It is believed to be a wild vine because it has great difficulty pollinating, which is why grapes are cultivated through grafting, to perpetuate self-pollinating varieties. The grape's home is Colli Orientali del Friuli DOC, in Friuli Venezia Giulia. Its wines are usually delicate, on the sweet side and overpriced. I referred in an above post to the "abundance" of Picolit relative to its vineyard production. What I meant is that a lot of Picolit is stretched, and Verduzzo is likely the stretcher of choice.

On its own, Verduzzo is astrigent and uninteresting as a dry wine, but as a sweet wine it can sometimes be quite pleasant--I like it better than Picolit. Verduzzo flourishes on hillsides and does quite well in the Colli Orientale del Friuli DOC, but also grows in the Grave DOC of Friuli Venezia Giulia.

Oh yeah, for the benefit of ww: these grapes is white.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-02-2002).]

- winedope - 04-02-2002

thanks for the info, Foodie. I appreciate it. WD

- winoweenie - 04-02-2002

DUH! ww

- GUSS - 04-16-2002

Botafogo,thanks for the information on Picolit,You made My day. Let Me know how I can make an order. Sorry I took so long To contact You back. Thanks,Guss.