WineBoard
A good solid starter Burgundy - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: A good solid starter Burgundy (/thread-7055.html)

- Cowboyin Blake - 04-28-2005

anyone got a basic starter Burgundy i should try out ....i am just getting into Burgundy and would like to do some tastings and dont know what good ones start off with are. Any suggestions? Thanks guys and gals!

- Capocheny - 04-28-2005

For a really easy drinking pinot... try the Marimar Torres. I always have a few bottles in the cellar for friends who aren't much into wines (in general) and they seem to enjoy it very much.

This isn't to say that there isn't any substance to it though... it's quite delicious.

You can also try some of the Domaine Drouhin pinots... again, they're quite tasty and won't break your pocket book.

Babcock is another one I really enjoy...

So many wines... so little time!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

- Cowboyin Blake - 04-28-2005

I really am looking for French Burgundy ... any suggestions of a good starting point and then where to branch out from there?

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2005

As you may have gathered if you been reading the TNs on Burgundy on the board, buying Burgundy is a kind of roulette. A trustworthy retailer is your best bet. If you want to pick something on your own, a Volnay is a reasonable choice year after year, even when much else goes wrong.

- wondersofwine - 04-28-2005

Burgundy Wine Company in NYC ( 143 W. 26th St.) specializes in Burgundies, Oregon Pinot Noirs and Rhone wines. Their prices seem high (probably because of costs of doing business in NYC). I just viewed some of their offerings and most of the wines I would suggest are more than $40 or $50 dollars. They do have Joseph Drouhin Volnay for $28.75 and Joseph Drouhin Chambolle Musigny for $34. These are both 1999 vintage which may be closed down now. I also saw a 2002 Pernand Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses (a premier cru Burgundy) from Rapet Pere & Fils (father and son) for $39.50. Nicolas Potel, a Burgundy negociant whom I respect, is represented with a couple wines from the very good 2002 vintage: a half bottle of Bourgogne A.C. Vielles Vignes (old vines) for $11.75 (I assume that is red Burgundy although the notes don't say red or white) and a regular-sized bottle of Chambolle-Musigny for $49.50. The website says Burgundy Wine Company has nightly wine tastings so maybe you could attend one of those. They open wine for tasting from 5-7 PM (free) (also free wine tasting on Saturdays from 11-7 PM)and have a monthly special tasting with a particular winery for $20 (price may vary) with wine and cheese (6:30-8:00 PM). On May 4th they are having jazz music at the nightly tasting.

Chamber Street Wines has some relatively inexpensive white Burgundies. These include two different 2001 Pouilly Fuisse wines at $16.99 and $19.99. There is a 2002 St. Veran at 14.99 and 2002 St. Aubin at 23.99 from one producer and $31.99 from another producer.

I'm editing this to add that a basic starter with Burgundy is a generic such as Bourgogne Rouge or Bourgogne Blanc. These can be quite variable and may not leave a good first impression. Burgundy region also includes Chablis and Macon for white wines, although this may not be what is typically thought of when you mention Burgundy. The Macon wines in particular can be fairly inexpensive. Beaujolais is considered part of Burgundy too, but its red wines are from the Gamay grape and not the Pinot Noir that is generally considered the red grape of Burgundy. So while exploring Burgundy, you may want to try a Chablis, a Macon, and a Beaujolais-Village or Beaujolais Cru (such as Moulin a Vent, Fleurie, Brouilly, Julienas, etc.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 04-28-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 04-28-2005

I totally second the post from WOW. I've been getting lessons from my local pusher in Burgundies this year as well and he's walked me up and down Cote de Nuite and Cote De Beaune...almost forcing me to memorized the appellations in order...which helps by the way. Also, there are many levels/qualities/locations of wine, from Bugundy in total, an appellation, a village, a specific vineyard (and how this will appear on the label)/Monopole and maker. This is way it is very difficult to find great burgundy....add to this the way vineyards are passed down through the generations...it gets tricky. A good book will be needed to go through this in any fairness. Brevity in this base will not do it justice.

I will add a few other suggestions for the 2002 vintage which is current release.

I like Jadot stuff even though he is a negociant. 2002 Domaine de Heritier Louis Jadot Savigny-Les-Beaune, La Dominode, 1er Cru which can be found for $24.99 is cheap. The 2002 Domaine de Heritier Louis Jadot Corton-Pouget Grand Cru is better but at $75.

Another Volnay, the 2002 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay Champans Premier Cru can be found for about $65.00

There apparently is a saying that there are no common wines in Vosne Romanee....I'm not sure on this but just in case...2002 Earl Daniel Bocquenet, Nuit Saint George Vosne-Romanée for about $45.

Also if budget is tight, you can look outside the traditional Cote d'Or and look at appellations like Mercurey .. 2002 Francois Raquillet Mercurey 1er Cru Les Vasee which is a more reasonable $28.

FAVORITE 2002 BURGUNDY tasted to date....a 2002 Domaine Jean Trapet Latricieres-Chambertin Grand Cru and a 2002 and a Comte Armand Pommard Clos des Epeneaux, 1er Cru Monopole. The later two are not cheap (around the $100 mark) but are by far no where near where expensive burgundies prices which can be in the hundreds of dollars if not higher on release.

BTW, my understanding is still rather amateur...please take everything I say with a BIG GRAIN OF SALT. Also, with the exception of the Jadot products and teh trapet, all the others were tasted at store tastings lest I be identified for openning these things up a bit too early...

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 04-28-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 05-02-2005

I forgot to mention Santenay as another relatively inexpensive Burgundy region such as Mercurey mentioned by Engineer. I have loved the two or three Santenays I have tried.

- wondersofwine - 05-02-2005

Engineer, and anyone else interested, Boquenet also makes a nice Nuits St. Georges "Aux St. Julien" which I have now bought in two different vintages. (A '93 version got a good recommendation from Mark Squires of the eParker board).

- TheEngineer - 05-02-2005

Thanks!

I picked up a couple of his 2002 Earl Daniel Bocquenet, Nuit Saint George Vosne-Romanée but have not had a chance to try it.

With your recommendation, I'ma gonna go back for a few more!

- Capocheny - 05-02-2005

CB,

Sorry for my posting of all Californian pinots... I hadn't realized you were asking about true Burgundy pinot noirs.

Try a bottle of the 2002 Jacques Prieur Volnay-Santenot. It's delicious (see my notes on this forum.) Or, their 2002 Musigny.... give it a bit of time to breath. It's delicious. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

If you can try an old Burgundy such as the 1978 Remoissenet Pommard.... don't hesitate! A taste of heaven! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

I believe in tasting something old, something new, and something in between... just to get an idea of how wines can taste over time.

Cheers