WineBoard
Desperately Seeking... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Desperately Seeking... (/thread-7010.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Brian_Loring - 01-15-2003

I'll certainly try [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 01-15-2003

Welcome Brian. Glad to see you here. I've thoroughly enjoyed your participation at eRobertParker. I sure wish I could get you to ship your wines out here. I'd sign up on the mailing list in a second, but for now I have to be content with what my daughter picks up for me out there in CA.

Regards,
Bob Sisak

- Brian_Loring - 01-15-2003

I thought that there might have been a change in MA law... A recent mailer from the Family Winemakers of California showed that MA allows consumers to apply for a permit that would allow them to have a limited amount of wine shipped directly to them. I called the "Legal Dude" at FWC, and he said that it's ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY IN MA!!! It's just that the MA ABC NEVER ISSUES PERMITS. They always say NO!!! What's up with that? Anyone interested in applying for one of these permits and seeing what they say? Maybe things have changed... Anyone? Anyone want to take them to court if they do say no? Anyone?

- Kcwhippet - 01-15-2003

I applied. They said NO!!!. They won't issue any permits, and they say they're not going to, and they say they don't have to give me a reason why they won't issue. We do get shipments here in MA from many wineries in CA and OR, who have chosen to go by the ideal of the Commerce Clause of the Constitution of the United States of America.

- Bucko - 01-16-2003

Sounds like MA needs a lawsuit to shake them loose. Maybe Free the Grapes or someone is up to the challenge.

- Kcwhippet - 01-16-2003

Outside help would be greatly needed and appreciated. I've talked to most, faxed and emailed all the state Reps and Senators who are on committees with any legislation in front them pertaining to wine, and its sale, use, shipment or whatever. Well, as a result of my efforts, they still won't issue permits to individuals, and now their considering extending the 5% sales tax to wine and beer. I don't exactly have a stellar record of pushing reform. However, I'm one person and there seems to be a terrible epidemic of rampant apathy among my fellow Bay State wine lovers, plus the fact that the WSWA has incredibly deeper pockets than I do. Oh well, we survive however we can.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 01-16-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 01-16-2003

KC, please e-mail me.

- tear wah - 02-05-2003

Passion for Pinot. . .

I love Pinot Noir. I also love Barolo. To me, these wine shave that unique combination of elusive, layered complexity, exotic fruit and non-fruit aromas and flavors - right out of the shoot and the ability to express the uniqueness of their vineyard source like no other wines. Pinot Noir expresses itself clearly to me. If you try to trick it out with winemaking tricks or cost cutting measures (i.e. over-cropping, filtering, etc.) you blow it. Hell, Cabernet will probably be there with the roaches after nuclear war (God forbid we ever have that).

Try:

Melville Pinot Noir from the new Santa Rita Hills appellation. Deep, highly perfumed wines at screaming good prices.

Capiaux Pinot Noir, Gary's Vineyard, Santa Lucia Highlands

Kalin Cellars Cuvee DD 1995 (This is their current release!!)

These wines are complete, harmonious, layered, inetersting "food for the stomach and soul."

Judging by your intial question and the fact that you are obviously an experienced taster, maybe you have had these and they simply didn't turn you on. If that's the case, I guess all I can say is, "To each his own." There are plenty of great wines and I hope you are able to enjoy as many of them in your life and work as possible!

- Kcwhippet - 02-06-2003

Stevebody,

If you want to try a domestic Pinot Noir that just might do it, look for the latest from Arcadian. Tried two this weekend -one a Bien Nacido Vineyard and the other a Sleepy Hollow Vineyard.

- winoweenie - 02-06-2003

Hi Steve and now fer me 3&1/2 pesos worth. I for the most part totally agree with you. If I had all of the cash I've flushed buying burgandies, Oregon, Wash, and Calif. Pinots I could retire (in Luxury).The only exception is Tom Dehlingers' RRV Pinots. I know it's the pits getting on his mailing list but well worth the effort(regardless of Buckos' comments). At from 5-10 years his pinots bloom into majestic bottles that satisfies' this ole jaded palate as much as any of my beloved Calif Cabs. Call Tom at 707-823-2378 and see what his current status is. The few Loring wines I've had were also terrific but didn't get on his mailing list as I just paid attention to them 3-4 years ago. Joe Swan was my first intro into Calif Pinots with his late 60s' and 70s' which were ethereal. Found out that not all wines are created equal. By the way, I used to travel the Seattle area and have a good friend who owned Sound Floorcovering, Pete Chick. Call him at Sound and tell him I said hi iffn' he's still working. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 02-06-2003).]