WineBoard
2 Pinot Noirs--both new to me - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2 Pinot Noirs--both new to me (/thread-6959.html)

- wondersofwine - 04-04-2006

After many dinners at Enoteca Vin in Raleigh, I had a chance to try Sunday brunch there. Had brown butter shrimp with mixed greens, Laura Chenel chevre, and ripe olive tapenade with a Mimosa. (Other menu selections included beechwood smoked ham, menu items with grits, French toast, etc.) I also ordered 3-oz. pours of two Pinot Noirs I was curious to try.

2004 TURNER AND COLE RESERVE "ADELAIDE HILLS" PINOT NOIR, AUSTRALIA 14% alcohol
$16.99
This has been hyped recently by CWC. It was a bit paler, less dense than the Eric Ross wine; not opaque; a burgundy color. Violets on the nose. Quite aromatic. Immediate first impression was that I like this better than any of the N.Z. Pinot Noirs I've tried to date. It was not heavy tasting but showed a fairly lengthy finish. Dark cherries on the palate with a touch of mild pepper. Gives a chewier, fuller texture when held in the mouth before swallowing. Quite nice. (I received a small tasting pour the next day at Carolina Wine Company shop and got more berries on the nose and palate--strawberry, yes; cranberry, maybe.)

2001 ERIC ROSS "SARALEE" VINEYARD PINOT NOIR, RUSSIAN RIVER VALLEY, CA 14.2%
alcohol aged in French oak $24.99
slightly darker, denser than the Turner & Cole P.N.
Unable to get much nose with swirling (small 3-oz. pour in a large Burgundy glass made it more difficult to get near my nose but I think the Turner & Cole was more aromatic.)
Loved it on the palate. Reddish brown color; not opaque. More nose after 15 minutes in the glass. Tart on the finish with mild pepper. Seamless texture. Both Pinots were balanced for fruit, acids, tannins. Slightly preferred the Eric Ross Saralee but feel that both wines are worth their retail price. Both have a lengthy and pleasant finish. Both suggest Burgundy more than the average New World Pinot Noir. The Eric Ross had a very slight smokiness that differentiates it from the Turner & Cole (perhaps from aging in French oak).
I was thinking that they were both about $25 but the Turner & Cole is only $16.99. I bought a bottle of the Eric Ross to take home but may snatch some of the Turner & Cole on my next trip if it is still around.
Thumbs up on both wines which enhanced the brunch.

- dananne - 04-04-2006

Sounds nice, and thanks for the notes. I'll take a look around these parts for either one.

- Kcwhippet - 04-04-2006

Don't know either one. I've had a Stephen Ross PN or two, but not Eric.

- winoweenie - 04-05-2006

The Saralee is a fine vineyard so would expect this wine to be top-notch. Hard to keep track of all the labels appearing on the market. WW

- wondersofwine - 04-05-2006

I'm already in love with the Eric Ross Occidental Vineyard Old Vine Zinfandel. Here's some info from the Eric Ross Winery website: "In 1994 two award-winning photographers from San Francisco's competing newspapers, Eric Luse and John Ross Storey became committed to producing wines with big personalities and heartfelt passions...Today they produce some of the finest wines in California." Their wine notes are from the 2002 Saralee Pinot Noir (I had the 2001) but they say the mouth has a nice complexity with silky smooth tannins and a soft long finish (I would agree with that on the 2001). Also "Low yields and a long cool growing season produced grapes with great complexity and finesse."
They produce two different Old Vine Zins, another Pinot Noir called "Poulet d'Or" (Golden Hen), a Carignane with Lodi grapes, an old vine Zinfandel Port and a Russian River Valley Chardonnay from Weeks Vineyard (which claims acidity in the finish and perfect to accompany any type of shell fish or light pasta or chicken dish.) I would like to give the Chard a try although it is given French oak treatment. Several of the wine notes comment on subtle French oak or sweet toasty French oak or a note of French oak. However, the Zin and the Pinot Noir I have sampled have not been buried in logs.