WineBoard
2002 Thierry at Pascale Matrot Volnay-Santenols 1er Cru Controllee - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Thierry at Pascale Matrot Volnay-Santenols 1er Cru Controllee (/thread-6902.html)

- TheEngineer - 02-20-2005

This wine opens very closed. Tasted thin for the first hour and then starts to slowly open up. If we did not wait for a couple of hours, we would have been highly disapointed. Once opened, this was a very elegant drink. It was still a bit on the light side but it was well integrated with acids, tannins, and alcohol working very well together. Decent Burgundy for $50.

- Drew - 02-20-2005

This statement is not to be critical, Engineer, but for $50 you could have enjoyed a GREAT Northwestern or California Pinot instead of a, if I'm reading your post correctly, an ok Burgundy. I don't get Burgundy. Every red Burgundy I've bought/sampled has been thin, acidic and somewhat weak. Just my 2 cents from a penny pitcher.

Drew

- TheEngineer - 02-20-2005

Oh no worries here....skin is pretty thick and seeing that I'm still in education mode, gonna make lots of mistakes.

I am however, in the middle of a Burgundy self study guide by my local pusher. I've tasted some fantastic Burgundies and this one was by no means my favorite. However, unfortunately, every other burgundy that I've liked has been on the higher side of the $$$ bar. Only two sub $100 Burgundies have really made me smile, whereas, others are higher. Trust me, next areas for education will be a more QPR appropriate locations (wallet needs healing).

I can understand the fanatacism for Burgundies, but I prefer Bordeaux which are going to be more consistent and less costly.

- Innkeeper - 02-20-2005

As much as we love Pinot, we've pretty much sworn off Burgundies, except for a couple of consistent low price ones like Drouhin's Laforet. WOW, however, is a big fan of the Burgs.

- Thomas - 02-20-2005

Burgundy has two things going against it: price and pinot noir, a most difficult grape to control year in and year out. But when they are good, they are fantastic.

Engineer, as you discovered, this wine is too young to consume. And I like that description--elegant.

- wondersofwine - 02-20-2005

Drew, you plan to be at the Washington offline don't you? I intend to bring a Burgundy that illustrates what I love about Burgundy. (Probably the 2001 Robert Chevillon Nuits-St-Georges "Vaucrains" (a premier cru), but the selection could change. Nothing thin or wanting in this wine. (But it is pricy).
Yesterday I tried some Andrew Will wines from Washington at a free tasting at a wine shop. I like the Sheridan Vineyard red blend but it cost about $50. My reaction was, too pricey, I can get a nice Burgundy for that price.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-20-2005).]

- Drew - 02-21-2005

Wow, unfortunately won't be there. Still have too much going on here with house remodeling, reconstruction and Eileens Mom who's been up and down with illness. One of us has to stay in town at all times as there are no other care givers. Also anticipating new job promotion (hearing whispers from top bosses)which would occur July 1, which would make it tougher to slip away.

Drew

- wondersofwine - 02-21-2005

Sorry you won't be joining us but congrats on possible promotion. I met a couple at a wine dinner in Raleigh who are caring for three elderly parents in their home--a mini-nursing home as they said. More kudos to them for their loyalty and dedication.

- hotwine - 02-21-2005

I'll echo Wonders' words Drew. Sorry to hear you won't be there but fully understand.... my mom turned 93 a couple of weeks ago and still lives alone, so I don't roam very far for very long. Good luck on the possible promo.