WineBoard
Logan Pinot Noir - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Logan Pinot Noir (/thread-6748.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2001

1997 Robert Talbott, Logan, Pinot Noir, Sleepy Hollow Vineyard ($18.00). This has to be the most financially approachable pinot from the Santa Lucia Highlands. Even though Sleepy Hollow is Talbotts "second vineyard" this wine in simply sensational. Georgeous transparent ruby red color, floral berrylike scents and upfront flavors; silky smooth concentration with old world like earthy tones on the palate; and a finish that wouldn't quit. Would nominate it for the number one American Pinot under $20.00, knowing full well what competition lays north of Santa Lucia. Placed an order for a case immediately after finishing bottle. Matched wonderfully with the following:

SAUTEED HAM SLICES IN CREAM SAUCE:

1 or more large 1/2" thick slice(s) of cooked leftover or fresh smoked ham trimmed of all rind, fat, gristle, etc, and cut into serving size pieces for two people.

1 tbl Butter
1 splash Olive oil
1 Shallot, scallion, or small white onion minced
1 tbl Cognac (or brandy)
3 tbl Red wine
2/3 C + 2 tsp Heavy cream (saving rest of 1/2 pt for your morning oatmeal)
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Tomato paste (easiest from tube)
Few grindings from peppermill

In a medium skillet saute the ham pieces in butter and oil till brown. Reserve on plate or platter in warm oven. Add onion to pan and cook two minutes. Add brandy and wine and cook down to a syrup. Mix 2 tsp of cream with mustard and tomato paste with a saucier or whisk, and add to 2/3 C cream. Add cream mixture to skillet with pepper and simmer slowly for ten minutes. Sauce should be slightly thick. Return ham pieces to pan, and nap with the sauce. Serve sprinkled with fine herbs with spinach or green beans.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-18-2001).]

- mrdutton - 04-18-2001

I just ate dinner. Had a nice chuck roast with garlic mashers and mixed green and yellow vegetables. The meat was smothered in gravy and a few dribbles of steak sauce.

The whole of it was washed down with some 1998 Cline Small Berry Mourvedre.

I read your post and got hungry all over again!! You know I'm going to save that recipe!

- Innkeeper - 05-18-2001

Had another bottle tonight, with broiled Maine Atlantic Salmon fillet. It had OO on the bottom, and when turned, lemon juice, butter, and fine herbs. Wonderful. This has to be the best American Pinot under $20.00.

- winoweenie - 05-19-2001

Ik, I thoroughly agree. Haven't done a post on this as it doesan't have much distribution. WW

- Innkeeper - 05-29-2001

Available from A Taste of Monterey, 831-646-5446, www.tastemonterey.com . That is where I got my case.

- ddf68 - 05-29-2001

You guys are making me thirsty. My one and only experience with Santa Lucia Pinot is the '99 Barnett, and it was delicious.

ddf

- Innkeeper - 01-09-2002

Had another '97 Logan last night with grillpanned pork chops. It has developed even better, showing even more complexity now. Have to admit, that it may have peaked. Have a couple of bottles left, and will keep you posted. In the meantime, will be going back there next month, and will report on the newer vintages, and more from Talbott.

- Kcwhippet - 01-14-2002

IK,

Tried the recipe the other night with some modifications. Changed the ham to boneless, skinless chicken breast (Judy doesn't like ham, among other food idiosyncracies). Also added diced sweet red pepper to the cream mixture. Delicious.

Bob

- Innkeeper - 04-18-2002

We were able to taste the '97 versus the '98 in the tasting room in February. At that time we preferred the '98, bought some, and wondered what we would do with the rest of the '97. Well last night we popped one with the same pork chops. Incidentally they are rubbed with OO, and seasoned on one side with Penzeys' Pork Chop Seasoning and on the other side with their Bay Leaf Seasoning. The wine was better than ever. It had become darker in color, and the juice had morphed into an elixer similar what happens to a twelve year old Bordeaux. Acidphobes might not be too happy, as the acid did become pronounced. We loved it. Even this "second tier" Sleepy Hollow stuff does wonders in the bottle.

- Innkeeper - 11-24-2002

Popped a '98 ($19) with the same pork chop dish last night. Absoultely fantastic. Mother, in particular went gah gah. Promptly ordered another case.

- Innkeeper - 09-09-2003

Opened our fourth '98 this afternoon with sauteed ham steak, spinach, and Early Girl tomatoes in vinaigrette with chopped fresh basil on top. Since Mother can't eat too many tomatoes these days, had most of them wtih the pinot. Acid with acid is wonderful. Have really been enjoying our Early Girls this September! Still have eight '98 Logans to go!

- Innkeeper - 11-22-2003

Carried five bottles to a kind of special get-to-gether last night. Those who partook of it were regular wine drinkers, but none had had anything like to before. They were hooked for good. Tis better to give than to receive.

- Innkeeper - 02-13-2004

The '99 is better than the '98 which was better than the '97. The folks at Talbott think this is their best, and we agree. Tons of cherry berry fruit on the nose and upfront. Fantastic complexity and Sleepy Hallow dirt cross the palate, and the finish lingers and lingers. Price remains at $18. Matched it last night with baked salmon pieces and salad. Wonderful.

- Innkeeper - 03-02-2004

Second '99 Sleepy Hollow (NOT Hallow) from Logan last night, was just as nice. Matched with grillpanned boneless pork chops and salad with blue cheese dressing. Alcohol level: 14.1%.

- winoweenie - 03-02-2004

You tryin' to take over the " Fat-Finger" Award frum me there IK?ww [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- KateMaine - 03-29-2004

Hi Innkeeper,

Did you buy this here in Maine? If you did, do you by chance know who the distributor is? Have you had any of the current bottles that are available? Think they're as good?

Kate

- Innkeeper - 03-29-2004

Hi Kate, don't know of any sources or distribution in Maine. Brought three bottles of the '99 back with us in January. Still have one if you guys want to come up and share it. In the past, we have been able to get cases of it shipped from http://www.tastemonterey.com They usually are a vintage behind in what they offer, but we have been able to convince them to get the current vintage for us at no additional cost. The only reason why we insist on the current vintage, is because they have constantly improved over the past several vintages.

- KateMaine - 03-29-2004

Thanks IK. Well, I need a great pinot noir for a brown bag tasting. What's your favorite, that we can get here, in the $25 and under range? Most of the people there are in the wine business, one way or another, so I always try to surprise them with what I can find.

Kate

- Innkeeper - 03-30-2004

You should be able to find a Buena Vista "BV" Carneros Pinot Noir at about the same price as the Logan. Also, I know that Holly at Miranda's Vineyard in the Portland Public Market has a good selection of pinots, including two or more nice ones from Oregon.

- KateMaine - 03-30-2004

[img]http://wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the idea IK. Do you get down to Portland often? There are a few really very good wine shops around. The Clown on Middle St is wonderful. Upstairs is an art gallery and antique shop and downstairs is the wine. They are part owners of some vineyards in Italy themselves and are the best around for knowledge of wines from there. Don't miss them your next time down. Hmmmmmmm, now that I think about it, I'm thinking that they also have a shop downeast somewhere.

Kate