WineBoard
Pinot Tasting I attended March 25 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Pinot Noir/Red Burgundy (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-29.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Tasting I attended March 25 (/thread-6325.html)

- wondersofwine - 04-19-2005

Carolina Wine Company held a special Pinot Noir tasting. I scored using a 20-pt. scale to find my own preferences. The Carneros district representative was a favorite of mine, the 1998 Casa Carneros Pinot Noir (limited production and distribution). I scored it 18 out of a possible 20 pts. Sold out but I had previously purchased about four bottles. We then tasted three Russian River Valley Pinots--the 2002 Martin Family Vineyards, the 2001 Selby and the 2001 Willowbrook Owl Ridge. The Martin Family tasted light-bodied but might be a good food wine. It was somewhat viscous. I think I had earlier purchased two bottles but overall I gave it only 13 points--not a good showing. I prefered the Selby Pinot Noir which I awarded 17 points. It was perhaps a touch denser and darker than the Willowbrook but not a pronounced color difference and was also viscous. I much prefered the Selby Pinot Noir to the Selby Zinfandel I had tried earlier. The Willowbrook Owl Ridge had a high acidity. I have purchased at least four bottles of this but rated it 16-16.5 points--less than the Selby or the Casa Carneros.
Then we moved on to six red Burgundies, four of them from Digioia-Royer (I'll use D-R).
2002 D-R Bourgogne Rouge was leggy, quite promising on the palate but with a somewhat muted nose. Could be a good everyday wine at the special price of $16.99. Vineyards are in the Chambolle area. Producer favors low yields to optimize the grapes.
2002 D-R Chambolle-Musigny was a deeper color than the generic bourgogne rouge. Also more aromatic with Morello cherries, slight sous-bois or truffle aspect. Very nice. I gave it 18-19 points. Also leggy or viscous. Normally $34.99--selling for $29.99 at the tasting.
2002 D-R Chambolle-Musigny V.V. (old vines) had almost a floral nose and a mouth-filling texture. I liked it very much and gave it 19 points. It normally sells for $39.99 but was available for $33.99 that night. The producer uses different styles for the regular Chambolle-Musigny and the old vines wine and I was attracted to both but maybe would favor the less expensive one.
2002 D-R Chambolle "Groiselle" (not a premier cru but a lieu-dit vineyard). Richer, deeper aromatics but I actually prefered the flavor of the two Chambolle-Musignys that came before it. This was sold out before the tasting.
Now came two Grand Cru wines.
2001 Perrot-Minot Clos Vougeot exhibited almost a plummy nose. It was drinkly nicely this evening. It was a darker color than the Corton which followed. The producer does not own the vineyard but rents the vines. I gave this wine 17-18 points. It normally sells for $99.99 but was offered that evening at a price of $79.99.
2001 Martray Corton--Corton is the only Grand Cru (red Burgundy)vineyard in the Cote De Beaune (the other Grand Cru red Burgundies are from Cote de Nuits). Corton is a large vineyard area and some of the Corton should probably not be labeled grand cru. I gave this wine only 16 points (too young? or from a part of the vineyard that does not live up to grand cru billing?)
This was a case where I was happy to take home Digioia-Royer Chambolle-Musigny without the Grand Cru or even Premier Cru designation and pay a lot less in the bargain.

- hotwine - 04-19-2005

Nice notes, Wonders. Thanks for taking the time.

- dananne - 04-19-2005

Good notes, Wonders -- thanks!