WineBoard
2000 Sarget de Gruaud-Larose (St Julien) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Sarget de Gruaud-Larose (St Julien) (/thread-6236.html)

- hotwine - 08-21-2004

What a gorgeous wine! Black currant and pencil lead on the nose with a bed of mountain cedar underneath; more pencil with leather on the palate, with a lingering finish of spicey crushed raspberries. Costco price of $23.99 and 12.5% alc/vol. As a Saturday sipper with Tillamook white cheddar and water crackers while watching the Olympics. Life is sweet.

I'm going to start buying a case per month of this stuff until she catches me, or the local supply dries up.

- Innkeeper - 08-21-2004

Sounds great!

- winoweenie - 08-22-2004

Loved the juice whenced 1st tasted at Hi-Time in Costa Mesa. Had a box ordered on futures so was happy as could be on the arrival. Resting comfy in the cellar. The big brother (Gruaud Larose) has been on the radar since the marvelous 82. Will open one next week. WW

- hotwine - 08-25-2004

Don't let 'em rest for long, WW. Having another now, just having finished dinner of Costco NY strips, russet spuds and pinto beans. Decanted for less than an hour before dinner. She didn't ask about the price, just said to buy more. If the Sarget's big brother is any better than this, I couldn't stand it.

- winoweenie - 08-26-2004

Buy one of the 00 Grauads' and prepare yourself. Tremendous juice in most vintages.WW

- winoweenie - 09-18-2004

Opened a bottle for lunch. Delicious juice that, like its' Big Bro, has loads of fruit, a ton of terrior, and tannins that will carry it another 10-15. Tastes like a miniture Gruaud and probably has the same mixture of 57% Cabernet, 30% Merlot, 7% Cab Franc, 4% Petite Verdot, and 2% Malbec. From one of my favorite 2nd growths this has a lot of breeding. Am amazed at the quality across the board of the 2000s'. Have been an avid booster of this Chateau since tasting the incredible 61. Let rest in the glass for 1&1/2 hours and was rewarded with a nose of jammy blackberries, cigar box, cassis, and earth. All came across on the palate. The only way to distinguish this from its illustriuos big-bro is a lighter mid-palate and one lap difference in the finish. A solid 90/95. 14.49 from Hi-Time on futures.12.5% alc. WW

- winoweenie - 09-12-2007

After partying at Mikes' new digs and opening the 1st of 3 bottles there(will post in cab thread) we ,BRW, Mikey and Moi, adjurned to my jernt and this was the 1st on the agenda. The additional time in the cellar has softened the silky tannins but still has adequate to carry it the 2-4 to full maturity. Seductive nose neat entry, silid center and a 4 lapper finish. Great juice that makes you look like you knew what you were doing when you ordered this sucker. Next on the agenda was the impressive Haut Medoc Ch. Sociando-Mallet 2000. Earthy, leathery aromas, blackberries, and red plummy hit the schnozz along with a cocoa/choco-latte note that came over on the tongue. With 30% Merlot and 10% Cab Franc supporting the 60% Cabernet this could easily be mistaken for a Medoc classified growth. This is the best wine I've experienced from this property. Was part of my futures order. 24.99 WW

- wondersofwine - 09-12-2007

I had heard that the 2000 Sociando Mallet was a good buy. Regrettably, I don't think I purchased any on futures. I ordered six bottles of La Tour Figeac and maybe two bottles of a couple other Bordeaux from the vintage. I found a recent review on the La Tour Figeac which suggests that it is giving a sweet and jammy impression at present but possibly could become more savory with additional cellar time.

- hotwine - 12-12-2008

Prepared her b-day dinner around the '00 Sarget; escargot (sauteed then grilled), spinach salad, baked spuds, bacon-wrapped filet mignon, crepes suzette. Very nice din-din but the vino seemed to be taking a nap. Had spent two hours in the decanter.... maybe that wan't enough. Fruit was there but subdued and tannins were still pretty fierce. Lots of sediment. Will wait a couple to try another.

- winoweenie - 04-03-2009

Opened another of these babies for lunch yesterday. The additional time in bottle has helped flesh this sucker out and the aromatics are more dominate. Still some silky tannins lurking but aren't nearly as intrusive as the last bottle. Everything is still intact but more intense and an added dimension of brite red fruits and saddle leather. Got to kick tjhis baby up to a solid 91 and almost add a 1/2 lapper. WW

- winoweenie - 02-07-2010

Forgot to post on this from lunch Friday. Had it along with the 00 Bernadotte and can happily report this baby done gots its' walking shoes. Lovely balance, supple and strong at the same time. Real kick-patootie juice that is now DOTOIG. Should hold easily another 6-8. No change in scoring. The Bernie is also on top so both of these lil' lovlies should face the end shortly in the weeners cellar. WW