WineBoard
A dozen aged Bordeaux (plus 2 Champagnes) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: A dozen aged Bordeaux (plus 2 Champagnes) (/thread-6102.html)

- newsguy - 03-03-2009

My TNs straight off the page (for better or worse) from a recent offline dinner...

N.V. Domaine Gasnier La Cravantine: ethereal, remarkably light and airy, fine bubbles. tasty. 89 points.

1996 Duval-Leroy: WOW. toast right out of the toaster. remarkable complexity and mouthfeel. very long finish. stunning. 94 points.

1982 Ch. Beychevelle: looks very young (garnet/purple). aromas jump from glass. earth, green pepper, dark fruit, cigar box & cherry. silky mouthfeel yet some power's still there. has to be VERY close to the top of its game. 94 points.

1982 Ch. Legune: medium red. very good/exc. aromas/flavors of buttered corn, black pepper, hint of barnyard. smooth mouthfeel. nowhere to go but down. 91 points.

1982 Ch. Calon Segur: medium reddish purple. elegant. beautiful nose (nose of the night), plus flavors that include plums, cream lead pencil. remarkably layered in the mouth, though the finish not quite as long as the 82 Beychevelle. 93 points.

1983 Beychevelle: medium red going brownish at rim. slightly corked (so no score), but there's plenty of surprisingly youthful tasting fruit there. (The corked aroma blew off a good bit over time. I'd definitly buy this wine, considering the value of the vintage.)

1986 Ch. Leoville Barton: nose of wonderful cabernet sauvignon from bordeaux: lead pencil, creamy cassis & plum, tobacco. 92 points.

1988 Ch. Gruaud Larose: caramel (in a huge way) on top of black pepper, bordeaux fruits, but finish falls of fast. 89 points.

1989 Beychevelle: wonderful. very similar to earlier beychevelles, but younger. very tough not to drink now. 93 points.

1989 Calon Segur: beautiful nose, young & old elements, including a floral note the others didn't have, high-toned red fruits over darker, silk on the palate. 95 points.

1996 Pagodes Les Cos ('second' wine of Cos d'Estournel): medium/darkish purple, red at rim. a little green, but lots of cigar and other stuff. needs 3-5 to peak. 90 points.

1998 Leoville Barton: damn good, open nose that includes a touch of petrol. ripe fruit (dark & red), lots of upside. 91 points.

1995 Pavie Macquin: excellent nose of sweet oak, red & blue fruits. seems a bit new world compared to others. definitely needs more time. 91-93 points.

I did not take notes on the stickies, but must say I really enjoyed the '87 Rieussec.

So you probably surmised: I fell in love with the Duval-Leroy and became a huge fan of Calon Segur (the '89 was my WOTN) and Beychevelle.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 03-03-2009).]

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2009

Thanks for the notes. I can but dream. Who put on the tasting? a private group or an industry event?

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-03-2009).]

- newsguy - 03-03-2009

WOW: this is a DC/Baltimore area group from another board that meets monthly for offlines. they're about evenly split between restaurants (we bring our own bottles) or privates homes. if you're interested, could try to schedule one around the next time you're up this way. let me know.

- Drew - 03-03-2009

Very nice, not a dog in the kennel....Always nice to hear from you.

Drew

- newsguy - 03-03-2009

thanks, drew. invitation goes out to you, too. several people in the group are from the baltimore 'burbs. i can't make it, but they're doing a dinner up there this week (where one of the guys put together the restaurant's wine program).

you know you and i *still* need to share some mine together. just found two orphans you night enjoy: '97 and '99 gallo barrelli creek cabs. pair that with an '01 (which i have) and we have a nice mini-vertical of one our favorites.

i don't have a spare dime right now, but i do still have some decent wine. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 03-03-2009).]

- winoweenie - 03-03-2009

Cupboards Bare..... But a FULL wine cellar. LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!ww

- Drew - 03-03-2009

I remember when I had a ton of Barrelli but couldn't keep my hands off 'em. All gone now. What's the info on the wine group and the restaurant? I know I couldn't any way with work and all...just curious and would very much love to get together.

Drew

- TheEngineer - 03-04-2009

Great post Newsie,... Love the "cream lead pencil" description... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Came back from a week of serious Duval-Leroy drinking (probably had 6-8 bottles myself) and then found myself looking for the NV over the weekend. Your description on the 96 vintage version sounds GREAT!

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-03-2009).]

- wondersofwine - 03-04-2009

I'm planning to be in DC/Baltimore area April 17-20. Already have an offline in Baltimore tentatively scheduled for the 20th but that leaves several evenings free.

- newsguy - 03-04-2009

drew: the offline group is from WS board. check under "Off-line Events." you'd be welcome to attend anytime. next is tentatively scheduled for sat. 3/21. don't know where yet or what the wine theme will be. usually about 10-15 people at these things. always a great time. a small group of them is having dinner thursday night at 7:15 at an italian restaurant in downtown b'more to meet a out of town board member. i can't make it, but let me knof let me know if you want in. you still have my e-mail addy?

engineer: that '96 is one of my top 3 favorite bubblies ever. just incredibly unique. and i think i probably should have put a comma between "cream" and "lead pencil." i told ya this was verbatim from my notes. ;-)

WOW: i will try early to get a date declared for the april offline for the weekend you're here. first choice will be sat. 4/18, with sunday 4/19 as a backup. would that work for you? let me know, and i'll post about it ASAP.

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2009

Yes, either of those evenings would work Newsday. Thanks for your offer. If it doesn't work out for your group, that's okay. Also, if the offline in Baltimore comes off on the 20th, you are welcome to join us. The theme is Australian wines but I may bring at least one off-theme dessert wine. We will probably meet at Samos Restaurant in Greektown and usually get there early (5:00 or 5:30) because there are limited tables and no reservations. I will keep you informed as we get closer to the date.

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2009

I was just reminded that my supervisor may be attending a professional conference April 20-24 and I may have to rearrange the dates of my leave. It would then be April 15-19 but I could still do an offline on the 18th.
I should know next week whether I will be in the area April 15-19 or April 17-21. The Baltimore offline on the 20th will have to be canceled (or rescheduled for the 15th or 16th) if my boss does go to the conference.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-05-2009).]