WineBoard
Know nothing about Bordeaux - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Know nothing about Bordeaux (/thread-6014.html)

- simmasow - 03-24-2005

I'm pretty new to the wine game and drink mostly "New World" wines. Of course, despite some personal political feelings concerning the French, you have to eventually dip your toe in the water. Couple of questions:

1) What is a moderately priced Bordeaux for someone to try?

2) Does anyone have suggestions on a Bordeaux that would be good to drink 5 years from now for a special occasion?

Thanks in advance

(I live in the NYC area and frequent the Stew Leonards wine shop out on the Island--if this helps in the suggestions)

- Innkeeper - 03-24-2005

Hi Simmasow, and welcome to the Wine Board. For instant gratification you can try any of many excellent current bottlings in the $10-$12 range. One we recently enjoyed is Chateau Tour d'Auron, Bordeaux Superieur. Ours was a '00, but have heard good things about the '01. Search the achieves of this tread for other ideas.

For a five year lay downer recommend the current release of Les Fiefs de Lagrange. This is the second label of Chateau Lagrange. Big papa (Lagrange) and its breathern in a good vintage, need 10 years or so of rest.

- hotwine - 03-24-2005

Welcome to the board, Simma. For recent releases that are ready now, try the '01 Ch. Talbot for about $25 or the Ch. Malescasse for about $14. The former is far superior to the latter. As Inkeeper said, for agers the Fiefs de Lagrange is hard to beat in the $16-$18 range and its big brother Ch. Lagrange is only mid-to-upper twenties (or has been.... with the euro strong now, don't know the current price). In the upper $30's range, the Ch. Lynch Bages is very nice indeed. Depends on what's "moderately priced" in your terms.

- Toasty Oak - 03-24-2005

Hi Simmasow, I'm in the same boat as you, I feel comfortable and even somewhat knowledgeable with 'New World' wines but know very little about French wine. I recently asked my local wine shop employee for a recommendation and he sold me a 2001 Chateau Teyssier St-Emilion Grand Cru for $23. I have yet to try it and would appreciate any info on this wine.
Thanks
T.O.

- TheEngineer - 03-24-2005

From an equal newbie at this, this is what I have been trying (rather "unsuccessfully" mind you) to do. Since we have had a terrific vintage of late (the 2000), I've kinda centered my samples around that (kinda like establishing the TYPE as in archeology). Also lets me sample what a young bordeau is like.

(1) tried several Left Bank ( St. Estephe, St Julien, Paulliac and Graves) but mostly moderately priced or second wines of the winery (like Les Haut de Pontet-Canet) which as a group tend to be more approachable now (the main wines can be way too Tannic right now).
(2) tried several right bank wines to understand the difference between cabernate sauvignon dominant left bank bordeaux versus more merlot dominant right bank bordeaux (and there are reasons for that).
(3) The above would show me what newer bordeaux taste like, so obviously now need to learn what older bordeaux taste like. So have or will try, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 1998 wines (so far missing the 1985). This will also provide some insight into vintage differences.

Not a perfect setup but hoping to gain as much as possible with as minimal amount of cash as possible as well.

Some suggestions on purchase from 2000 vintage (based on my VERY LIMITED knowledge:

(1) As the lower end education, the 2000 Tour D'auron (at less than $20) and the 2000 Chateau Villa Bel Air $24 should be easy to find.

(2) One step up a left bank wine called Chateau Pontet-Canet which can still be found for around $60 and will stand up well against pricier competitors. The right bank is interestingly a wine called Chateau Grand-Pontet which should still be around for about $50.

(3) For those few bottles to lay down (since I can't afford first growths), I would suggest 2000 Chateau Pichon Lalande de Comptesse. These bottles are still pricy but at $200 per bottle, they can still be had. Slightly less expensive at the $100 would potentially be Chateau Calon-Segur.

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-24-2005).]

- winoweenie - 03-25-2005

Hi Simmasaw and welcome to the board. All the above is good advice. If you go back on the Bordeaux thread for a year, somewhere in there are lots of tasting notes on the marvelous 2000 vintage. If my memory serves (It's the 2nd thing to go) I posted on a bunch of the less pricy 00s. The prices have risen but still offer lots of bang fer 'd buck. Good luck. WW