WineBoard
2000 Chateau Thebot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2000 Chateau Thebot (/thread-5990.html)

- Drew - 10-22-2003

Please somebody help me. I know this is gonna be a contraversial post but, I DON'T LIKE BORDEAUX! This was yet another fruit starved, lean, tannic beast that was unenjoyable. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME???? Every Bordeaux I've ever had is the same. If'n I'm gonna drink a Frenchie, I'm gonna drink a CDP or a CDR. I just don't see it! I've not much experience with the Bordeaux's but I've drank enough to proclaim....STICK IT!!! I think the French have teamed up with extra-terrestrials and have the Americans brained washed about this wine. 13% Alc/vol $14. HATED IT...

Drew

- randery - 10-22-2003

Oh... so THIS is how TNs are supposed to be written.Thanks for the clinic, Drew. Sounds like last years Beaujolais Nouveau. Same aliens, maybe.

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 10-22-2003).]

- Thomas - 10-22-2003

Wait it out, Drew. Hotwine is coming to help you...

- hotwine - 10-23-2003

As Foodie promised....

Drew, I think a lot of juice that finds its way over here IS pure junk. But when you find that pearl in a sea of crap, it's like winning the lottery. The hunt is part of the fun of it to me. We had one last night with grilled portobellos that I wouldn't walk across the street for - Ch. de Lisse St Emilion Grand Cru, 2000. Fortunately, that was my last bottle, out of only two purchased several weeks ago. But the Ch. Malescasse pinned my ears back! Will try to find more of it today.

- winoweenie - 10-23-2003

Couldn't have ranted any more clearly noble Drewski. It was a gone conclusion that with the hype on the 2000 vintage that every bottle of Drano the Frenchies could export would find some unsuspecting sucker to pay actual dollars for it over here. The same thing happened with the 82s. BUT, when some of them suckers get some whiskers they are wines, you, me, Hotsie, IK, even LT Buckinheimer would enjoy. The problem is their low-end stuff is, by and large, dreck and you need to get into the classified wineries to get satisfaction. There are a lot of petite chateauxs that produced superior wines but they need time and most were snapped up as futures. What a long-winded way to say Yup!WW

- hotwine - 10-23-2003

Yee-haa, the drive was worthwhile.... scored a box of Malescasse at the other Costco!

- thewoodman - 10-23-2003

Got to agree Drew. Seems like anything in the under $20 range just isn't worth it. Not that I have vast experience with Bordeaux, but with my track record so far, I just can't see throwing away the money.

Maybe I'll check my Costco for the Malescasse.

- Thomas - 10-24-2003

Drew, time for me to pipe up.

Next time you try a Bordeaux--if you want to give it a next time--go for something like a Bergerac. Mostly Caberent Franc and Merlot, producers there have over the years developed a nice style that leans toward elegance, with a touch of plum-like fruit. And then there are Pessac-Leognan or St. Foye wines that might interest you.

As for the big name Bordeaux, I have been impressed with Haut Medoc wines lately, and also impressed with second label wines of named Chateaux: Cantermerle comes to mind.

I suggest you give a few a try, and the ones you do not like send up my way for a second opinion...

- wondersofwine - 10-24-2003

I think you've already been given the two most relevant answers--age of the wine, and quality Bordeaux versus dreck. I've spoken to British citizens who had French wines regularly at dinners in Cambridge or Oxford but were drinking from large cellars and generally had bottles 15 or 20 years old. From the 2000 Bordeaux tasting I attended in Raleigh I ordered two bottles each of three different wines I liked that ranged in price from under $20 a bottle to under $30 to under $40. At least two other wines we sampled that night were already drinking well but were beyond my price range at $80 or so. The three I purchased may be hard to find in your area or may cost more elsewhere. They were:
2000 Tourans, St. Emilion @ $19.99 on sale or $16.99 a bottle by the case--a Parker 88-90 advertised for $30 a bottle elsewhere. Described as dense, thick, opulent.

2000 Behere, Paullac @ $29.99 on sale or $26.99 by the case; tiny production; little press in the USA but popular in Britain; from vineyard plots beside Pichon-Lalande and Lafite; Revue de France compared it to Pichon-Lalande praising its "great purity" and "rich and complex bouquet" calling it "a superb success" elsewhere it might cost $36.99

2000 Chateau La Source Merlot micro cuvee
@$39.99 or $35.99 per bottle by the case

- jackl - 11-15-2003

I doubt if I'm qualified to be giving out advice since I'm just getting to know some Bordeaux wines, but I think you might be trying to hard to like something that just doesn't float your boat. Why stress out over liking wines from one region when there maybe many other wines that you prefer? From what I gather, Bordeaux does represent several different wine styles with varying grape profiles. My advice would be to sample a good example of each of the varying styles based on the suggestions given by someone whose palatte you trust. And then if you still don't respond to any of those, then just move on to greener pastures (or wine regions, as the case may be). Life's too short, and you could missing out wines you really enjoy. And I hope that's the point of this whole wine obsession! Talk to you later.