WineBoard
2002 Ch. Haut-Bages Liberal (Pauillac) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: 2002 Ch. Haut-Bages Liberal (Pauillac) (/thread-5768.html)

- hotwine - 05-15-2005

OK, so I'm a baby-killer. Had to try before deciding to buy more or pass. Will definitely buy more.

Decanted in a wide-mouth glass vase but not long enough. Very dark, almost opaque, in the glass; nose of violets and cedar shavings; delightful cassis and dark fruits on the palate, moderate finish. WS 90. 12.5% alc/vol and about $23. With grilled ribeyes over oak, boiled & slided spuds sauteed in OO, and FRESH GUMBO! Yee-haa!

- TheEngineer - 05-15-2005

Thanks for this! Any other 2002 Bordeaux's that you try, please post as I am still sorting through what to order.

- Bucko - 05-15-2005

You know how to hurt a guy Hotsie. I'm batching it this week while Carole is spending a week on the beach in Costa Rica (girl's week out).

Thanks for the tip, Bubba.

P.S. I managed to ruin a brisket in the new locomotive -- cooked it too long. So, it got chopped up and mixed with my special sauce. It made great sandwiches.

- hotwine - 05-16-2005

Sorry to hear about the over-cooked brisket. It can happen.... especially if the cook dozes off when he's supposed to be tending the fire.

- Georgie - 05-16-2005

hmmm..slided spuds? Did you mix them with that okra slime from the gumbo? That would make them slide-able. You know how I feel about okra....yuk

- Kcwhippet - 05-16-2005

Well, if you use file powder instead of okra for the gumbo, you don't get the slime.

- hotwine - 05-16-2005

Fingers did a WW number on the "slided".... that was supposed to be "sliced".

I now think she sliced them raw, then sauteed them in OO. Didn't ask, didn't watch, not much help in the recipe dept. Too busy contemplating the vino.... that takes concentration, don't you know.

- Bucko - 05-16-2005

Right KC! Adding file gives it a nice snot consistency. Oh yum!

- hotwine - 05-10-2009

Had left this alone for four years, but now needed something semi-mature for filet mignon and escargot tonight for Mothers' Day din-din. Decanted for three hours while preparing the other goodies and that was just about enough. Nice Bordeaux nose, soft fruit on the palate, lip-smacking finish.... all is right with the world (except for the friggin' loonies in D.C.!) Will be in no hurry to finish the remaining bottles. Nice close to a day of pampering her with breakfast of bacon & eggs, Prosecco in OJ, bouquet of roses, yada yada. Dessert of crepes suzette will have to wait. Life is sweet.

Wrong-o! She demanded the crepes thingees, so back to the cook-top. Had the little pancakes made already, so only had to do the flambee thing with the brandy & Cointreau... topped with ice cream. If this doesn't get me brownie points, I'm toast.

Back to the wine: the most sediment I've ever seen in a Bordeaux! Should have screened it.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 05-10-2009).]