WineBoard
Bordeaux questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Bordeaux (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Bordeaux questions (/thread-5757.html)

- Duane Meissner - 12-30-2001

After looking through a "Wine Spectator" I've decided I would like to try a bordeaux... The problem is, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, and I don't want a poor quality wine.
My question is this: What would be better for drinking Now... a fully matured Bordeaux that is rated as good, or a Bordeaux that could still use 3-4 more years in a bottle that is rated as excellent?

Also, just to make sure, "Bordeaux" is used for both singular and plural forms of the wine, correct? And pronounced the same way?

Oh, and if buying the young and excellent Bordeaux is the best option, would the wine call for a decanting?

Thanks for all the help!
DM

[This message has been edited by Duane Meissner (edited 12-30-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2001

Hi Duane. Try a Chateau Les Fiefs De Lagrange. It will run you around $15. Hotwine recently popped a current release, and we recently popped a six or seven year old one. We were both hoppy.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 12-30-2001).]

- Duane Meissner - 01-06-2002

Thanks for the suggestion IK!
Could someone enlighten me with answers to any of the above questions? I'd really like to know more about the wines that come from this region. From the small amount of research I've done so far, it seems as if Bordeaux is the chief of wines.

DM

- Innkeeper - 01-06-2002

Duane, we usually buy Bordeaux only for the cellar. How long there depends on the quality. Top quality, you are looking at ten or more years from harvest. Second labels from top producers such on the one I recommended above should rest for four or five years from harvest. East bank Bordeaux (Pomerol & St Emilion) mature faster, because their lead grape is merlot; so take a year or two off those.

Singular and plural are the same. Fully mature high quality Bordeaux are hard to find and hard to pay for. Most mature wines made from Bordeaux type grapes need to be decanted.

For drinking Now, buy a Bordeaux that costs less than $12. There are hundreds of so called cru Bourgeois, third and even fourth bottlings from major producers, and those bottled by negotiants. Names vary in different parts of the country because of regional importers. In a good year such as 2000, you can hardly go wrong. These are approachable upon release. Chateau Bonnet is one that tends to be reliable year in and year out.

- wondersofwine - 01-06-2002

If you look back on the Bordeaux thread to a posting by Winoweenie on 08/27/01, there is a list of 2000 Bordeaux futures with good quality to price ratio. These wines won't even be released for some months but retailers take reservations and payments now to guarantee them to customers at a certain price. I put in for a half-dozen bottles of the La Tour Figeac. Some 4th and 5th classification 1995 Bordeaux are drinking nicely now (if you can find them). (Some 4th and 5th classification wines should probably be rated higher but since the classification was done in mid-19th century it isn't a perfect reflection of present-day quality. It does serve as general guide to top estates.)

- Duane Meissner - 01-07-2002

Thanks guys!
DM

- winoweenie - 01-09-2002

Hi Duane.... Concerning the question none of the others wanted to try; In Shawnee if'n we don' think the stuff 'aint good we pernounce it BordeaUXX... And if'n it be pleesuarable we'uns proclaim it BordOOH!. WW