WineBoard
2001 William Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Chardonnay/White Burgundy/Pinot Blanc/Melon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 William Fevre Chablis Champs Royaux (/thread-5518.html)

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2003

Had a glass of this at Black Olive Restaurant (Greek food) in Fells Point section of Baltimore. (Hey, Drew, I survived the traffic mess in downtown Bal'more on the 4th of July evening, but did nearly run a red light right in front of a police car. I was concentrating on getting into the left lane to pick up 95 South and almost didn't spot the red light. The police car braked in case I entered the intersection and I stopped just in time.)

Now, the chablis: 12.5% alcohol
Nose of tart apple and pear. Taste: lots of mouth presence; crisp and pleasant with a slight pucker factor, tasting of green apple, pear. Not too flinty as I find some Chablis to be. Had with calamari stuffed with warm herbed Feta cheese and small Greek salad. Liked the calamari stuffing better than the calamari. After another experience with grilled calamari in Charleston, SC, I've decided I like deep-fried Calamari (Monterey style) but not the grilled.

Attended two Orioles games--they won one and lost one. Temps were in the 90's. Drank lots of water at both games.

- Thomas - 07-14-2003

WOW the absolute best calamari dish I ever had was prepared in a family-run restaurant on the Greek island, Samos. I have been trying to duplicate the wonder of that dish since I had it in 1975. I have come to the conclusion that it was so good because the calamari had been alive until about an hour before the restaurant battered it in a light lemony breading and quick fried it in olive oil.

- wondersofwine - 07-14-2003

I think you're right. The Monterey calamari is freshly harvested. The calamari both in Baltimore and Charleston, SC tasted a little rubbery in the skin. But preparation may have had something to do with it too. Deep-fat fried foods are tasty although not healthy. I avoid fried fish and go for broiled or baked fish dishes instead.

- winoweenie - 07-14-2003

Foodie, count my vote also on the Greek prep for Calimari. A great joint in Monterry changed my whole perspective on fried Squid. The Sardine Factory made melt- in- your- kisser Calimari that I oredered every time I was there. Key is freshness and super quality OO. WW

- Thomas - 07-15-2003

ww, get me their recipe, and if you can, the freshest calamari--quick!

- Innkeeper - 07-15-2003

Am glad the Sardine Factory still gets some respect on this board. On a certain other board they tear in down all time. Someone there was looking for cheap eats in the Monterey area. I recommended the early bird specials at the Sardine Factory, and added that some on that board would probably poo poo it. Sure enough, one of their stalwarts came back and said "A Sardine Factory poo poo would be a compliment." Takes all kinds.

- hotwine - 07-15-2003

Wonders, fry the stuff in olive oil. Not nearly as unhealthy as vegetable oil.

The best calamari I've had was in Athens and Madrid. But don't order it in Brussels - I got it there in semi-raw form, half-cooked in it's own ink. It needed an awful lot of wine that way. And the aftertaste lasted for about a week.

- wondersofwine - 07-15-2003

I lived in Monterey for three years in the 80's and three years in the 90's and never dined at The Sardine Factory. I rather regret that I didn't experience it at least once. But I got into dining at Whaling Station Inn (close by) and kept returning there--it became a birthday tradition for me and also a place where I dined with my sister and brother-in-law on their visit. Was almost afraid to go back there after it was completely remodeled and underwent a change of menu, but did so in 2002 (?) The new decor is attractive, the food and service is still good, but I did miss the nostalgia of the old, darker look. (Other favorites in the area are Will's Fargo in Carmel Valley and Anton and Michel in Carmel-by-the-Sea. A couple favorites in Pacific Grove have closed.)
If I get to Monterey again, guess I will have to schedule the Sardine Factory.

- ShortWiner - 07-15-2003

My peak calimari experience was actually cuttlefish, which is very similar, in Venice, grilled at a tiny place called A La Testiere. My wife and I still agree this was the greatest restaurant we've ever been to. Absolutely enchanting, two nights in a row at the tail end of our honeymoon.

- Georgie - 07-15-2003

I doubt it would have mattered what you ate considering the time and place!