WineBoard
1999 Frederic Magnien Morey St-Denis - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Chardonnay/White Burgundy/Pinot Blanc/Melon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: 1999 Frederic Magnien Morey St-Denis (/thread-5508.html)

- VouvrayHead - 02-20-2007

Les Monts Luisants

My first white Morey St-Denis.

Terrific wine. Nose of honeysuckle, peach, some nutty yeastiness.
Very rich wine, yet totally dry with notes of apple, some sort of liquer, and vanilla. Big minerality at the end.
That said, might have drunk this too young. A really distinct nuttiness is just developing. These were half off at around $25, I'm going to grab some more if I can and wait a few more years.

Nice wine...

Do any California Chardonnays taste like White Burg?
I've been tempted by the Montelena, but the recent discussion of it makes me a little more hesitant. I've liked 80% of the the white Burgs I try, and like 5% of the California Chardonnay I've had...

Have an 01 and 03 Pine Ridge Dijon Clone sitting. Will drink them at the same time later this year. Maybe they'll do the trick?

Anyway, one of my students came up with this poem in my English class. The assignment was to write a poem about resignation and solace about the transience of life. Could be any format as long as it was fairly brief.

Sunrise, sunset
The days get shorter
Even in the spring

Well done! Issa couldn't have done much better...

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 02-20-2007).]

- Innkeeper - 02-20-2007

The answer to your question is if not no than not many.

- brappy - 02-21-2007

Haven't had the wine you've noted on.

As to the Pine Ridge "Dijon Clone": Have tasted the '02 and the '03. Enjoyed both although the '03 didn't have quite the concentration of fruit the '02 did. I don't believe you need to sit on these wines. They should be drinking pretty good right now. There's nothing wrong with holding them, but if I had some now, I would drink them whenever I felt the urge.

As to the "question": Not many is probably true. However, Marcassin, Kistler, Paul Hobbs, Aubert, and a few others are very, very close. The only difference in these wines to (ie:montrachets, etc) thier french counterparts that I can tell is the lack of minerality in the Cali wines. Still great wines, just not quite the same.

On a side note: Some of the Chards from Western Australia are almost identical to w. Burgs. Some minerality, some oak, some malo and great chard fruit. Some examples would be: Leeuwin Estate, Franklin Estate, Vasse Felix, Moss Wood, Salitage, Howard Park, and others. The cost of these wines for the most part will be a bargain compared to the Cali and French counterparts.

Anyway, good luck,

mark

- VouvrayHead - 02-21-2007

I will definitely keep an eye out for those Aussie's.

Thanks!

- wondersofwine - 02-21-2007

Here's a "Wine Enthusiast" review of a Williams Selyem Chardonnay:

96 (pts.) Williams Selyem Allen Vineyard Chardonnay (Russian River Valley); $48. (I believe this review is for the 2004 vintage.) "This is one of the best Chardonnays I’ve had this year. It’s a tremendously ripe wine, exploding with apricot nectar, peach custard, quince, butterscotch, buttered toast and spice flavors. There’s even a spine of minerality. But what really makes it so special is the acidity." (Editor's Choice)

(Don't know if the minerality equals that from Burgundy but at least it makes an appearance.)
I just now am mailing back a Williams Selyem order but am concentrating on Pinot Noirs and a late harvest Gewurztraminer. Maybe I should be ordering the Chardonnay as well. Oh well. I have three other orders pending with California wineries and can't afford to order everything I would like.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-22-2007).]

- dananne - 02-21-2007

If I can ask, from whom are you ordering this year?

We've done Sea Smoke and Loring, but all the rest of our ordering was done in person at Oregon and Washington wineries following our visits last August. I keep getting waiting list notices from folks like Kosta Browne, asking how many bottles we WOULD order if we COULD order in some scheme that appears to be designed to move "big spenders" from the waiting list to the allocation list faster than others who may have been on longer, but who wouldn't order as many bottles. I may be wrong, but that's how it seems to me. I won't give any folks with waiting list nonsense any of my business, but I'd like to know if you've had/are having good/bad experiences with anyone, since we seem to have similar Pinot inclinations [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 02-22-2007

Sounds like the same to me Dan. Have never heard of this approach before. WW

- wondersofwine - 02-22-2007

Actually Kosta Browne is one I'm ordering from. I didn't order last year because of auto repair expenses and moving during the summer, but they didn't drop me from the list. (They may drop me next year since I'm not ordering my full allocation. I don't like that either when the wineries dictate how much you must buy to order the next year.) I plan to order from Loring, Williams Selyem and Biale (not Pinot Noirs here.) I only ordered from Sea Smoke once.
I have also ordered in the past from Saintsbury, Christom and Argyle. Most of the Saintsbury I would want is available locally now (except maybe the very expensive Brown Ranch) and Christom and Argyle don't interest me as much any more.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-22-2007).]