WineBoard
1992 Cabs and Blends - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1992 Cabs and Blends (/thread-5109.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- winecollector - 08-18-2000

It's too bad I live on the east coast! Us yankees seen to miss out on all the fun!

- Innkeeper - 08-18-2000

Da da da da. Da da da da. The first two page thread in the history of the Wine Board. Da da da da. Holy bejezzum; it was the Weenie what did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- winoweenie - 08-19-2000

Thanx Jock, I`ll make a complete posting tomorrow. The BAWDIES in attendance aren`t much help when it comes to actually verbalizing what they`re guzzling. The most cryptic description was." Man, this is GOOD Ship" (or something similar)Reporting from bed, winoweenie

- winoweenie - 08-20-2000

O.K. here goes wif` the wines slurped at the BAWDIE meeting.I`ll start by saying the Buck-man would have spit out the Dehlinger. Lots of oak when 1st poured but after an hour in glass the cedar subsided to reveal a large core of brite cherry fruit with a nice spicy overtone. The Dalle Valle was still deep-ruby with no sign of age. The nose had lots of black fruit, some red cherry, a touch of vanilla and all came thru on the palate. This is one whale of a bottle that still has enough rounded tannins to take this another 10 years. Superb.The Duckhorn "Howell Mtn" was a real sleeper.61% merlot, 30% cab, and 9% cab franc( Don`t tell Wallace) this is one fine bottle of juice.Beautiful nose, superior entry, good middle palate and a medium long finish this would please any red wine drinker. Fruit is probably from the Bancroft Ranch.Dunn " Napa " was a minor dissapointment. I don`t agree with Jock that there`s no fruit, but with the faith and experience I have in Randy`s wines, I think the wine is going thru a Dumb period. I`ll give it another 6-8 months and try again. The Dunn "Howell" is typical Howell estate cab. Has oodles of it all, fruit, oak, spice, chocolate, vanilla, AND Tannin.Just starting to turn the corner toward civility, this brute will be superb given another 2-4 years. I`ll wait.Last, but certainly, not least is the Etude. Tony Soter, ( Who helped Many of Napa`s great wineries to define their style including Diamond Creek) made one of the best wines of the vintage. Rich,an almost purple,opaque color with an impression of sweetness that the massive amount of fruit imparts.Tannins are soft and seamless.Love what Tony is doing at Etude. Wine Speculator voted this at the 41 spot on their top 100 wines of 95(I think). We had 3 "Orphans" I found in the cellar also.I reported on the Merlots in the proper thread, and made an entry on the 79 Vieux Telegraphe several weeks ago. They were Keen. Jock and the others pretty well agreed on the 92`s. I liked the Duck-Howell because of it`s great pleasurably-drinkin` personality. Oh well! On to F`s.winoweenie

Can`t believe that 35 minutes of reviewing the Friday tasting of the 92 Cabs `aint here.Don`t feel like going thru it agin now so I`ll do it later.Damnnation. winoweenie Holy Crap! Bein` from Shawnee dint` realize thar war another page. L-I-B!

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-20-2000).]

IK and WC, Wish you`da made it. The BAWDIES aren`t the most sophisticated tasters in the world but they derned sure have capacity! Never met a bottle they couldn`t finish. We had a heck of a time. Lots of great cheeses, a 4-lb marinated tri-tip broiled over mesquite, a lil` fruit, and lots of grapes. The invite is always open here in the desert. winoweenie P.S. Still amazed by the 2 page format. Thot I`d done all that heavy typin` por nada. How the heck many pages will it be when we finally get to Whitehall Lanes` "Morisoli"&"Reserve" and ZD? ww

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-21-2000).]

- winoweenie - 08-22-2000

Back To The Grind!... Far Niente. Lovely Dark Ruby. Elegant nose. Spicy, Current, Cherry, with a light dash of oak make for an elegant, layered wine with a lots of breeding and soft, supple tannins that caress rather than attack the tongue.A really pretty wine that is definately in the feminine gender. Guess this is one of Napas` answer to Margaux. A Lovely effort. winoweenie

- Innkeeper - 08-22-2000

Far Niente was founded back in 187something by Stephen Benson, brother of the lady who was married to the original inhabitant of our house. Everytime I mention this to someone, they correct my pronounciation of Far Niente, and every correction is different. What is the proper pronounciation of Far Niente?

- hotwine - 08-22-2000

Will be interested in seeing WW's reply to your pronunciation question, IK. I've been calling it "Fahr Ne-YEN-teh".

- Innkeeper - 08-22-2000

As near as I can tell Hotwine, yours is the same as mine. We call it "Far Nighty" as in what a women wears to bed.

- winoweenie - 08-22-2000

IK, WC, Hotsie, EtAl, The way they say it around the Napa is Fahr KNEE-enteh. But wha`the heck I know `bout them pronounces. Affer All, I`m From Shawnee, Ok. WW Tonite it`s Ken Deis` "Reserve" from Flora.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-24-2000).]

- winoweenie - 08-23-2000

Flora Springs "Reserve".First let me qualify this review by saying I`m very prejudiced towards this winery. Not only are the owners lovely people, but Julie is one of the most gracious people I`ve met.It also helps to have a wine-maker with the skill of a Ken Deis.I`ve even been known to drink some of his SW`s on occassion.This wine has a deep ruby color. Classy aromas jump from the glass. Cassis, a bevy of blackcurrents, with an earthy , jammy, almost saddle-leather nuances assault the palate and nose.Tannins are soft, subtle,and subdued.As super as this wine is, the 93 is better and the 94 probably the best ever. This `lil beauty is within 1-2 years of its` top-form and has enuf stuffin` to go another 10. Loved it! winoweenie

- winoweenie - 08-25-2000

Don`t know what key I hit but was shut out of the board all day yesterday. Onward and up-scale. Forman. Ric is one of the truly talented WM`s in either valley, and although I should hate this sucker(His 73 Sterling "Reserve" Made me into a ....Watch IK,WC,Buckster, et al. Anywhos, from that point forward I started buying the grape, This 92 is deep ruby, superior nose that has all the promises the Cabernet Grape can muster. Lots of black fruits, cassis, and spices that wander all over the terrain. This lil baby will go another 10 without blinkin` and give change. Mo` tomorrow. winoweenie

- winoweenie - 08-26-2000

8/25. Gallo " Sonoma Estate". Boy is this a wine to burn a geeks ego. Dark ruby with a brite ruby rim, lots of action on the nose with cherries, black fruits, sweet vanilla and exotic spices hitting on all cylinders.A smart entry with a middle palate that is long and intense and a finish that was almost the fabled "5-Lapper"(But not quite)A really solid effort that will be fun to throw in a tasting down the road blind.Neet Stuff! winoweenie

- Drew - 08-26-2000

WW, you're right on the money...I've been waiting for you to review (gulp) the 92' Gallo Sonoma Estate. Your notes are exactly mine. I had a bottle at good ol' Ocean City.....almost as good as the 95' Frei Ranch. What a great wine for almost no money. I wish I had another case+!

Drew

- winoweenie - 08-27-2000

8/26. Gallo " Frei Vineyard " Not to keep flogging a non-issue issue, but to anyone who enjoys cabernets and likes fruit, structure and value in a single package, you`ve got to get on the Frei and Barilli Creek buggy.This lil` beauty was under 15 bucks in March, 96. I think this was Ginas`(notice 1st name basis) original release from this marvelous Sonoma property. 2000 cases. Wish I`d gotten more.Brite ruby, reticent nose at 1st, but in 15 min the cherry fruit along with sweet vanilla, some hints of spices and a touch of black fruit came thtu on the nose and palate. Nice soft entry, with good middle structure and a medium-long finish. Tannins are rounded, but still firm enough to take this lovely effort another 5. winoweenie

Drew, I made the review of the Frei before reading your post. Course the Sonoma Estate now `haint zactly goin` for nuthin. The 96 is around 60 here in Sticker-City. The Frei and Barilli are still under 30 and are automatic buys of mine on release(Zins Too).Glad ypou`re back and refreshed. Need lots of hep to defray the slings and arrows from #@%^&)*!. You know. Velchoome Home. winoweenie

8/27. Groth. Brilliant clear ruby. Crisp cherry nose. Undertones of spices, cassis, and vanilla.Lovely entry.. Cherries/berries and a lush mouthfeel make for a solid center palate and a finish that`s in the 4 to 5-lapper range.This has been a super wine since its` release and has the backbone soft, rounded tannins that will enable this beauty to improve for another 3-4 and carry it for at least another 10. Was WS #37 pick of its top 100. Blind hogs occassionally find a truffle.WW

- winoweenie - 08-29-2000

8/28. Hess Collection. This has been one of my favorite wines from the 92 vintage since it`s release. It was the leader by a whole lot in my purchases. It`s also been a leader in my drinking. Blockbuster wine. Dark cherry center with a little lighter tone on the rim.Dark fruits, vanilla and exotic spices in the nose.All come thru on the palate. Entry is smooth, big center and a finishn that goes on and on.This wine made WS #3 spot in their top 100 and was priced at 18 bucks. Hess is a winery , if you aren`t, you should investigate. Lots a stuff for the peso. Ageing beautifully. WW

- winoweenie - 08-30-2000

8/29. Judds Hill. This is a BIG wine still. Almost opaque. The nose is still restrained but is giving hints of the massive black and red fruit core.Entry is smooth, a strong center, and just as you think you`re getting a nice long finish the tannins kick in and say Huh-Uh, no way Josie. This wine needs another 2 and probably more to really soften. winoweenie