WineBoard
Seven heavy hitters from Spring Mountain - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: Seven heavy hitters from Spring Mountain (/thread-5090.html)

- Bucko - 02-13-2006

2002 Cain Five, Red Wine, Napa Valley, California, $100, 4,938 cases. Cassis, smoke, vanilla, and chocolate intermingle on the nose and spread out on the palate. Full and rich on the palate, but with some noticeable heat; 86/84.

2002 Fantesca Winery, Cabernet Sauvignon, Spring Mountain District, California, $65. This is a very polarizing wine based on reviews. I like it. Aromas and flavors speak of black cherries, vanilla, cigar leaf and cedar. The hefty tannins may be off-putting to some, but they are well rounded and should age out given enough time; 88/87.

2001 Schweiger Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, Spring Mountain District, California, $48, 3,189 cases. This is a very polished wine, with firm, ripe tannins and lovely balance. You’ll find layered aromas and flavors of blackberries, plums, aged cigars and barrel notes, with a lengthy black fruit finish; 91/91.

2003 Sherwin Family Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, Estate, Spring Mountain District, California, $85. Aromas of spicy oak, plums, currants, cedar, and violets arise from this inky wine. Very rich and intense on the palate, with silky tannins that firm up on the finish. Give this one time in the cellar to integrate; 90/88.

2002 Spring Mountain Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon, Estate, Spring Mountain District, California, $50, 3,100 cases. Almost black in the glass, the wine gives off aromas of cassis, dark chocolate, berries, and sweet oak. The wine is full bodied, with firm but ripe tannins that should age out nicely. Berries and chocolate continue on the endless finish; 91/91.

2002 Terra Valentine, Cabernet Sauvignon, Spring Mountain District, California, $50. Ruby/purple in color, with aromas of cassis, plums, and cedary oak. The wine is elegant and rich on the entry, with fine-grained tannins and food-friendly acidity. Not overblown; 89/89.

2002 Vineyard 7 & 8, Cabernet Sauvignon, Vineyard 7 Estate Reserve, Spring Mountain District, California, $85. In contrast to one review that panned this wine, I find it quite tasty. The nose has delightful blackberry, chocolate, cedar, and dusty notes. It is very polished on the entry, with good balance and lively acidity. Ripe fruit and sweet oak flavors are full and lengthy; 90/88.

- winoweenie - 02-13-2006

You mad at Bob Foley Buckster? WW

- TheEngineer - 02-13-2006

This is one my favorite region of Napa to visit. Spring Mountain Road is just so backroadish. Rolling hills are just nice to see, especially in the fog.

- wondersofwine - 02-13-2006

Bob Foley is going to be in Raleigh Thursday and Friday--a wine dinner on Thursday night and playing blue grass (?) at the Crush 'n' Wine Event at the Exploris Museum Friday as part of Triangle Wine Experience. I will be attending a wine dinner at St. Jacques Restaurant Thursday featuring an importer of Loire wines (the Martinelli event at Nana's in Durham was sold out but I will eat at Nana's Friday and maybe they'll have some left over Martinelli bottles????) I'm not attending any Friday event (it just got too expensive) but Saturday at ll:00 A.M. I'm going to Sullivan's (steak house) for a Pinot Noir tasting and lunch with Greg La Follette of Flowers winery (I haven't had much experience with Flowers wines). All the events including, a high-flying auction and some impressive high-flying tastings and seminars that I didn't list, benefit the Frankie Lemmon School for special needs children. Ron Francis, the now-retired hockey player, and his wife have been sponsors or spokespeople for the event in the past. About 20-25 restaurants participate in the wine dinners and most of the retail wine shops in the Triangle area contribute in one way or another to the auction, etc.

- wondersofwine - 02-13-2006

I had ordered 1 or 2 bottles of 2001 Cain Five at a pre-release special price from Macarthur's Beverages, DC but I think they oversold or something and sent me a message that my order could not be filled. I liked it from the barrel sampling. Maybe it had less heat that the 2002 version.

- Bucko - 02-13-2006

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em. No slack for anyone.