WineBoard
2001 Provenance Cab. Sauv. Rutherford - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Provenance Cab. Sauv. Rutherford (/thread-5028.html)

- njjchiro - 11-15-2004

On first opening this bottle the dark purple juice had almost no fruit on the nose. After decanting and letting it sit for an hour the nose opened only slightly and after 2 hours only a tad more black fruit aromas were detected. There was minimal fruit on the entry with strong tight tannis. I served it with crusted rack of lamb (Dijon mustard, paramgiano, parsley and bread crumbs) served with roasted Butternut squash and grilled eggplant. I thought it was "ok" with the dinner but to my taste, was way overpriced and boring ($32.00 by the case, 14.5% alcohol). I bought two bottles in a mixed case purchase so I'm wondering if it was just way to early for this bottle. what are your thought?

- wondersofwine - 11-15-2004

I'm not familiar with Provenance but a lot of California Cabernets do better with ten or more years after harvest unless it's a "softer" vintage such as 1998. Maybe Bucko or WW or Californiagirl will weigh in if they are familiar with Provenance. I have a couple 1998's I will probably open soon, but I'm still storing the 1999's and 2001's. (However I may make an exception for the Chateau St. Jean that was posted on recently. I bought a bottle at the grocery store and may open it soon to see if I should buy more.)

Newsguy posted on the 2002 Chateau St. Jean under Best Buys/Steal Deals. Simi is a Sonoma producer that is practicing tannin control. Their Cabernets may be ready ahead of some others.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-15-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 11-15-2004

The 98's I have left are drinking nicely now, but I don't expect them to go very much longer so they should all be gone by the end of the year. In total I have 11 bottles left, mixed between Jones Family, Lewelling (Napa and Wight), Longmeadow Ranch, Snowden and Viansa.

- winoweenie - 11-15-2004

nj we tasted some provenance in Napa lastg week and this wine definately takes some time for the edges to soften. As WOW said I very seldom open a Napa and especially a Rutherford appellation for at least 5-7 years. WW

- njjchiro - 11-16-2004

Thanks for all the feedback, I am still a novice and can use all the help I can get. With that in mind, a question. How does one decide which recently released cabs to buy, if needing to wait 5-7 years before you're able to get a good understanding of their quality?

[This message has been edited by njjchiro (edited 11-16-2004).]

[This message has been edited by njjchiro (edited 11-16-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 11-17-2004

That's a good question. One way is to read back on the Cabernet Sauvignon thread and see which producers have a good track record. I have twice attended California "Barrel Tastings" of top Cabernet Sauvignon and Meritage producers (a charity event held in Washington, DC). We are tasting the wines about eighteen months to two years before they are released for sale. It is hard for me to judge what they will become at maturity. I think therefore I end up ordering the ones that are less tannic to begin with since I don't have a very high tolerance for tannin.
You might look for Simi Cabernet Sauvignon or Avalon and see if those are to your liking at release.