WineBoard
To open, or not to open... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: To open, or not to open... (/thread-4888.html)

- winecollector - 05-03-2000

I purchasesd a very limited amount of 1996 Caymus & Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepages due to the overpricing of both this spring. I would prefer to drink these wines at their peak, and would appreciated any opinions on how long to cellar them before opening them. With only a half a dozen bottles between the two of them, I'd prefer not to experiment with them unnecessarily, if I can avoid to.

Also, any cellaring/opening recommendations on the 95' & 96 Opus and 96'Cakebreads (both Three Sisters & Benchmark Select) would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by winecollector (edited 05-03-2000).]

- mrdutton - 05-03-2000

I can not remember the specific Forum on this board, but there was a rather lengthy discussion on the 1996 Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepages.

The discussion revolved around price and the opinion that the wine was not worthy of the description given it by Wine Spectator.

You might find that thread interesting to read if you can find it.......

I have a 1995 Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepages which I will drink this year or next. I don't intend on keeping it much longer than that.

Wine Spectator gave the Caymus 90 points, whatever that means. Here are WS's tasting notes on the 1996 Caymus:

Attractive creamy, toasty oak up-front, with supple currant and black cherry folding in beneath. Though it remains complex on the finish, it comes up shy in depth and added dimensions compared with previous vintages. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. Grapes are from the sources normally used for the Special Selection, which was not made in '96.Drink now through 2007.

Amazing as it may seem, WS has not entered their tasting notes on the Cing Cepages into their online database.

In a nutshell this is what they had to say about it in December 1999:

1 / CHATEAU ST. JEAN
Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County Cinq Cépages 1996 / 95 / $28
CALIFORNIA
The rise of the 1996 Chateau St. Jean Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County Cinq Cépages to our Wine of the Year won't surprise those who've tasted this remarkably rich and polished wine as it has evolved. With its uncommon depth, ripe, juicy flavors and plush, velvety texture, Cing Cépages won votes and admiration from our editors for its quality (a 95-point rating on the Wine Spectator 100-point scale), its $28 price and its availability.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-03-2000).]

- chittychattykathy - 05-14-2000

Under "Wine Biz/Investment" on Feb.15th, is where the forum on the St.J started. Just click back to 100 past days of subjects. It is also on a thread here in the Cab. Sauv. heading somewhere. Indeed, many were disapointed not only by this wine, but by how they handled the distribution of it as well. It's very tannic, and needs time for sure, how long, is a really hard question, I think it will be on the downside after four years. Maybe at its best in three years. K

- winoweenie - 05-20-2000

Having been a fan of Caymus and the Cinq, Caymus since their inaugural 72 vintage and the Cinq since the 91 vintage, here are my thoughts on the 2. Cinq, being a Meritage is a wine I start drinking 5 years after the vintage.I had a bottle of 91 , 92, and 94 in a vertical last month and all were sound.Probably 10 years would stretch most vintages. Caymus has made some of the most memorable wines in my drinking experience.The Estate bottlings today are more refined than yester-years but I definately think in the type of vintages we`ve had in the 90`s they`ll go 10-15 without a hitch. We had a 90,91, and 92 vertical in Feb and all the wines were solid. I personally preferred the 92 as it was precosious as the blazes. And always remember that it`s always better to be a little bit early on opening a great bottle than a little late. Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 05-20-2000

Also, I forgot. I overlooked your remark on over-pricing. I agree on rhe Cinq, but think the price Chuck is getting for the Caymus is especially fair considering their track record. (1972 ) And Chitty-Chatty drop your grudge against St. Jean. We know they did you wrong on the allocation, but you darn sure `aint the lone rangeress. Guys here in Phoenix who bought 135 cases of the 95 Cinq were allocated 8 cases. Nuff said. winiweenie

- chittychattykathy - 05-21-2000

Grudge?!? I thought I was just giving the topic thread and a quick opinon on this wine in order to help them with a question.
Nuf said.

- winecollector - 05-21-2000

Thanks to all you guys (and girls) for your input on this one. Oh, and by the way Winoweenie, I've been drooling all weekend long over your other posting of 77'Caymus with burgers! I going to have to try to find an older bottle of that Caymus up in N.Y., and have a friend of mine bring it down for me over Memorial Day weekend!

- winoweenie - 05-22-2000

See my reply on rants and raves. Don`t go for the 77 as EVERY bottle from that drought vintage I drank after 90 were over the mound. Winoweenie