WineBoard
1995 Cinq Cepages - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1995 Cinq Cepages (/thread-4882.html)

- mrdutton - 09-02-2002

Set the bottle upright three days ago. Decanted it about a half-hour before service and chilled it in the frige down to about 65.

Menu:

Dry aged prime filet mignons - medium rare - started on the stove top in the grill pan and finished in a fast oven. (With a crust from a dry rub that is my approximation of Emeril's "Bam".) (The beef comes from Lobels in NYC.)

Yukon gold garlic mashers (boiled in chicken stock) hand mashed with butter and cream; chunky bits of potato remaining.

Sauce Bernaise for topping the beef and the mashers. Sauce finished with fresh lemon juice just before service.

Medley of seasonal veggies including green beans, carrots, peas and corn lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and lightly buttered.

Dark ruby red wine with no hints of a brown edge on the glass. Good dark cherry fruit on the nose along with hints of chocolate and something spicy/herbaceous that I didn't quite catch. Nice smooth mouthfeel with a nice balance of acid and tannin; it felt comfortable to hold it on the palate and enjoy it for a while before swallowing. I could certainly taste the cherries, hints of chocolate along with the herbs and the tannin when I drank this wine. The finish was long; from swallow to loss of flavor took about 35 to 40 seconds. Alcohol present, for sure, but this wine has not hot to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed this wine with my meal; it went well with the beef, the potatoes and with the veggies.

My wife sipped at hers; she is a fan of lighter wines and just does not like CS, even when blended with other wines. But, she did admit that it was a okay match with the beef when she tried a bite of steak and followed it with a sip of wine.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 09-02-2002).]

- winoweenie - 09-03-2002

The 95 is still IMHO a couple of years away from getting really civilized. This is a vintage overlooked because of the extremely strong 94. Should really make for a beautiful bottle shortly (that's in cellar years). WW

- mrdutton - 09-04-2002

Drank the last of it at lunch today after storing about a glass-full in the fridge overnight.

I let it warm-up a bit untill just about all the sweat on the glass had evaporated. Just as good today as it was on Monday! Too bad I don't have more, then I'd get a chance at tasting it over the next couple of years as WW suggested.

- Drew - 09-05-2002

I still have a healthy stash of the '95 and 1 left of the '93. Really enjoy the wine/style but won't buy more at current pricing. Glad you enjoyed it Mike.

Drew

- winoweenie - 09-05-2002

'Haint it amazin' Drew-Boogs how fast pricing catches up with percieved or real Quality? WW

- Drew - 09-06-2002

Tis truly.....now off to search for the next perceived quality wine before the pricing catches up.

Drew

- winoweenie - 06-19-2007

Opened another of this sucker last nite. Nose has expanded and really gives the ole' schnozz a workout. Sweet dark fruits, cassis, red plums, and cinnamon/ginger/or cardamon. Great mouthfeel with a smooth entry, weighty center and a solid 4+ lapper finish. Still a few soft tannins showing but close to the TOIG!. 92/94 28 by the box. 14.3% alc. WW

- winoweenie - 07-07-2009

Last of the Mohicans yesterday for lunch. Greatly expanded bose with dar and red fruits, spice and earth dominating. Dead stoney on the TOIG. Not much to add but this is one killer bottle. Again the ole' buyers remorse set in(IN SPADES). 'Twere the good ole days Eh! 28 per clatter.....WW

- Thomas - 07-07-2009

He gets Mohican right and nose wrong. You are a characta, WW.

And yes, fabulous wines in 95. I remember going to a tasting in NYC before the wines were to be released and saying to the guy with me that they might put 94 to shame.