WineBoard
1997 Cabs - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1997 Cabs (/thread-4837.html)

- winoweenie - 06-29-2000

Buckster,IK, MrD, Wc et. al.,It seems to me that the hype about the 97 Vintage reds in Calif. may be just that, Hype. I tasted over 40 wines from barrel a year and a half ago and , frankly, was very impressed. In the ensuing time something has happened. I understand most of the big guns haven`t been released yet but IMHO the "super-seconds that have( BV Rutherford,Phelps Napa,Turnbull Napa,Schweiger Spring Mtn.,Pine Ridge Rutherford,Etc and on and on all fall short of their 94-95-and 96 Vintages. Can it be I expected too much or did those lil` buggers overcrop after the lean 95 and 96 crops? Maybe the big guns will restore my faith.
If memory serves correct didn`t Laube say 97 would be the equal of 94???NOT. Of course Foodie will probably say that all that tanninhas worn my taste-buds down to nibs. Winoweenie

- winecollector - 06-30-2000

You may be onto something Winoweenie. I just recently had the 97' Phelps for around $30 a bottle, and thought it was <okay>. I've drank a comparable bottle of Australian Cabernet Sauvignon for $6.49, Robertson's Well, and me and my wine buddies thought the Phelps wasn't as good. I must admit, that the majority of the Californian wines I purchase are for collecting purposes only, likely not to be drunk, but resold either at auction or to out of state wine shops at a later date. Some of these are too expensive for me to justify pulling a cork on to drink myself, but it seems that others have no problem forking out big bucks for them after I age them a while, when supply starts to become scarce.

Incidently, the Phelps was bought to drink, not to age. One's that I buy for future resale or auction from California include Caymus, Cakebread, Opus, Mondavi Reserve, Rubicon, etc.

Also, I was told by someone in the business about two years ago, that 97' produced an over-abundance of grapes not only from California, but (if memory serves me correctly) also possibly from Bordeaux. They were under the impression that this might cause prices to come down a bit, but I think he was being a little to hopeful.

As for me, I think I'll pass on most of the 97's from California as a whole. I'll buy my 97's from Italy. I can't seem to buy enough of those babies!

- Bucko - 06-30-2000

I'm not much into vintages, because the technology today can forgive a poor harvest situation to a degree. Good wineries will make good wine no matter what the harvest, again, to a point. As a counter, the glorified 1985 vintage in CA had all of the critics wetting themselves -- the wines have self-destructed for the most part. Some, like Monte Bello are still hanging on.

I have tasted several 97 CA Cabs, and so far they have been pretty tasty, an example being the 97 Kenwood Sonoma.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 06-30-2000

WC and Bucko, Clarifying. The 97s` are tasty, but so far just don`t seem to have the power or finesse of the 94 or 95s`. WC I tried the Phelps and like you, found it lacking. It wasn`t IMHO, even close to the marvelous 95.And, yes Bucko, the Kenwood is a nice bottle but again doesn`t measure to the 94 or 95. Tried the 97 Silverado last nite and while tasty, Didnt have the depth of 94-95-or96. I`m frankly dissapointed. This was supposed to equal the over-all quality of the 94.~Taint so. I agree Bucks that our tech has evened the field some-what, but a perfect growing season can`t be replicated in the lab. We`` discuss this further I`m sure as the biggies hit the news-stand.Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 10-05-2000

One more time I`m back with my tail twixt my legs.Tasted 5 new releases of 97s and re-tasted 2. The wines have not only fleshed out ( Phelps and Silverado ) but define their terrior beautifully.Tried the Merryvale " Beckstoffer "- Marvelous, Viader- Stupendoua,Justin-magnificat(or was that Fransiscan?) Cakebread-Wunnerful, and Plumpjack-best yet. Still don`t think 97 is the equal of 94, but it`s dad-burned close. winoweenie ~ haint reviewin` them suckers `cause I dranked-em with wild abandon.

- Bucko - 10-05-2000

I thought your tail was always between your legs, you bad (or is that mad) dog. Here are notes on eight that I thought had the right stuff:

1997 Kenwood, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County, $22, 39,650 cases. Almost opaque in the glass, the wine has lovely blackberry and American oak aromas. Rich, dark fruits prevail, with generous but integrated sweet oak, and a long, fruity finish. The ample tannins will benefit from bottle aging. Good value.

1997 Louis Martini, Cabernet Sauvignon, Monte Rosso Vineyard, Sonoma Valley, $40, 1,172 cases. Rich, complex black fruit and mixed oak flavors are riding a tannic backbone. The wine finishes with a long, fruity aftertaste. Needs aging.

1997 Rodney Strong, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County, $16, 160,000 cases. The nose has black cherry and cola notes. Lush, mixed black fruit flavors are supported by well-integrated oak, moderate tannins and a brisk finish. Good value.

1997 St. Clement, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, $35, 7,100 cases. This wine has luscious blackberry and plum aromas and flavors, well-integrated spicy oak, impeccable balance, and finishes with silky tannins. Good value in today's market.

1997 Clos Du Val, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, $26, 38,222 cases. Maybe their best Napa Cab since 1985. Elegant is the word here. Well-balanced, moderate yet supple tannins, allowing for drinking now or for several years of aging, bounteous blackberries, minerals, finishing long and lush. Very good value.

1997 M. Trinchero, Cabernet Sauvignon, Founder's Estate, Napa Valley, $38, 4,924 cases. Notes of cassis, cedar and vanilla lead to rich black cherry fruit and enhancing oak flavors. Well-balanced, with moderate tannins on the long finish. Tasty.

1997 Clos Du Val, Cabernet Sauvignon, Stags Leap District, $48, 2,076 cases. Part of the new Terroir Series of wines, these grapes come from the Palisade vineyard. This tasty wine has aromas of black fruit and licorice, backed by blackberries, blueberries, moderate tannins and nice acidity. A very long, complex finish.

1997 St. Clement, Oroppas, Napa Valley, $40, 3,000 cases. A blend of 55% CS, 30% Merlot, 15% CF. An elegant wine, with blackberries, dried cherries, chocolate, balanced sweet oak, and moderate but silky tannins. Very long aftertaste. Approachable now, better in 5 years.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 10-06-2000

Buckster, Thanks for the TN`s. Had 3 of these on buy list. Will try the others too. Dernnit, I hate it ven I have to apologize. winoweenie

- winoweenie - 10-06-2000

WOW Dang-Burn, Had a Raymond " Reserve " For lunch. Astounding P/Q Ratio.WW

- winoweenie - 10-08-2000

This is not the prelude to a"full-blown " like the 92s but tried the Souverain Winemakers Reserve last nite. Another super P/Q wine. Silky entry , lots of up front fruit and sleek tannins that will carry this lil` gem at least 5. winoweenie

- winoweenie - 10-23-2000

Well, one more time the Expetorant is killin` a super vintage. Buckster looks like we made the call a month or so before Mr. Laube. Had a marvelous tasting at our fav wine shop of some of the heavy hitters last week and looks like the original call I made on the barrel samples was close. I Personally don`t think the 97`s are better than the 94`s. But as wrong as I was on the 2nd call could be wrong on this`un. The depth, concentration, and massive fruit seem to be a tad behind the 94`s. Could be it`s because of the estra 3 yars in bottle. Howm-so-ever, these wines are absolutely the peers of my other favorite wines of the century. Put down as many of these beauties as the ole` budget can stand. In 10 yars, you`ll look like a Einstein. winoweenie And addressing the large crop, the 78 was the largest crop (at the time) in Calif history and most of the wine critics dissmissed it on volume. Yhey were stuffed in the terlit with their crappy palates.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 10-23-2000).]

- Bucko - 10-23-2000

I'm with you on the 94s, WW, and the 78s. Some of the latter are still giving a lot of pleasure 22 years later.

Bucko

P.S. Who needs WS? Tune in here for the experts to clue us in. There are a good bunch of people here (although I'll deny that I ever said anything good about any of you reprobates!)

- winoweenie - 10-24-2000

AW SHUCKINS` GOOD DR. ( foot shufflin` ) Be I included in that there group? winoweenie

- mrdutton - 10-24-2000

Most likely......... I'd think. Your palate, tainted as it is, has proferred some pretty good opinions..........

- winoweenie - 10-26-2000

( Blushing ) Gee MrD, I`m overlapped. Well, as expected the WS issue has caused the same feeding frenzy as it did last Nov on the 96 Cinq. Went to my favorite home-town supplier to pick-up some things and it was packed (on a Wed morn) and their shelves looked like Poland in the late 30`s. Just 2 days earlier they had Raymond Generations, Viader, Groth reg and Reserve, Merryvale Beckstoffer and Profile,Cornerstone Howell & Collage,Phelps Insignia,Spring Mtn, Justin and on and on. Not one bottle of any 97 that the rag had rated 90 or above remained and I`m sure the wholesalers here will mark-up their remaining stocks accordingly. Hope any of the board members looking at this marvelous vintage got your stuff before the carnage. Drew, How do you draw a middle finger on the computer? Send one to Marvin from me. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 10-26-2000

Hmmmmm...................... I didn't even bother to try. My wine guy here in Virginia Beach told me he had an allowance of 2 cases of the 96 cinq...... I can imagine how paltry pickin's are this year.

However, I am the proud owner of one bottle of 1995 cinq. Maybe I'll just keep it forever as a "pre-discovery" collector's item...............

- Drew - 10-26-2000

WW, I sent officers to take Marvin into custody and bring him back to good ole Baltimore for a vacation in our Central Booking Intake Center.....JAIL! He'll certainly get what he deserves there.

DREW

- winoweenie - 10-26-2000

Pull it off Drewskie and you have free roam in the cellar. WW