WineBoard
2003 Pahlmeyer Jayson Red Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 2003 Pahlmeyer Jayson Red Wine (/thread-4688.html)

- oostexan - 09-19-2006

Just got the mailer from Pahlmeyer stating that they had the 2003 Jayson on release. My first opportunity to buy Pahlmeyer wines. It just so happens that my local pusher had a couple bottles in stock, so I thought it wise to take one home, give it a try, and decide whether or not to order additional bottles from the winery. My local pusher charges 65 bucks. I can get it for 55 from the winery direct. Pricewise, that is heady company for me and the ol' BS detector works overtime on wines in this price range. Once a wine costs me more than 50, I expect my toes to curl. :-)

To complement the wine, I prepared Flat Iron Steak in a Red Wine Sauce, served with cheese grits (polenta to you Westies), and my special green beans with almonds.

I gave the wine a good hour or so of air before I started.

In short, it is very good. Nice nose of blueberry pie and dark fruits, palate has the same with a little chocolate on the midpalate, and a nice long finish. Tannins are medium level with good structure holding it together. Needs a couple years to figure itself out, but is a very good drink now.

Wine Spectator gave this wine an 83. This is way too low. It is every bit as good as wines in the high 80's to low 90's by WS standards. Honestly, I have no idea what is up with that rag lately. One of the best wines I have had this year (the 2003 Robert Craig Mt. Veeder) got an 88. Go figure.

Anyhoo, I think at 55 bucks I am still on the fense. Gonna have to think about it.

Very good and well made wine. I guess that I am just a tough sell.

Mark

[This message has been edited by oostexan (edited 09-19-2006).]

- Glass_A_Day - 09-20-2006

Sounds great. I've yet to try, but will keep an eye out. You are right about Spectator. Laube is on a mission to lower his cab scores because he feels guilty about over scoring for years. Now he has gone the other way and his readers are loosing faith. (I never had much to begin with.) Remember the 01 Chateau Montelena debacle? He gave it a 69 and Parker gave it a 96. It lit up the respective forums for both publications so much that both Parker and Laube were posting to answer all the nonsense flying around. Ever since Laube has backed his lower ratings with more of the same.

- oostexan - 09-26-2006

GAD, I just noticed today that they gave the 2003 Cali Cab vintage a score of 85. Same score they gave 2000.

I have not been into wine for more that 5 or 6 years, but the '03s have been very good wines by my estimation. I have had a lot of the Robert Craig, David Arthur, Flora Springs, Caymus, etc. wines and they have been very tasty.

Maybe thats why I am in sales and not wine journalism...

- winoweenie - 09-26-2006

Oos-baby...There's only ONE score that counts and that's the one you assign a bottle of juice. Writers have so many bloomin' agendas now-a-days it like playing Russian roulette. WW