WineBoard
More of WW"s 1994 Cal Cabs - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: More of WW"s 1994 Cal Cabs (/thread-4663.html)

- wondersofwine - 05-28-2004

1994 CAYMUS SPECIAL SELECTION C.S.
good dark purple-red color, crimson edge
red and black currant nose; slight sediment
high note of light airy wine over another layer with longer finish--smooth, not noticeably tannic; very pleasant and smooth even without food; almost a black cherry note along with red currants

1994 BEAULIEU VINEYARDS GEORGES LATOUR PRIVATE RESERVE
less dense than the Caymus? can see through it but had some slight sediment
Seems more of one piece than the Caymus
Displays elegance and finesse something like a great Bordeaux (not that I've had many of those) I liked the Caymus but thought this was better integrated

1994 Stags Leap Vineyard (SLV)
darker color than B.V. above
elements of cassis and a raisiny component
medium to full-bodied with a long finish

And from KC Whippet?
2000 LLEWELING CABERNET SAUVIGNON
very dark, dense purple--a big bruiser of a wine

1987 GUIGAL HERMITAGE this bottle seemed to have less barnyard aroma than the one opened previous night at Glenora--still a little funky and very viscous

- winoweenie - 05-28-2004

Again super notes WOW. This shows the major reason I hate shipping some of the older wines. Even with a month of rest the sediment still clogs the flavors of the older wines. Hopefully you enjoyed them even not showing their best. You did some serious boogiein' in the City. Know you had a ball. WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-28-2004

WoW, Didn't you try the 97, 98 or 99 Lewelling?

I've been finding the 87 Hermitage is showing some bottle variation. Some seem a tad funkier on the nose. They all taste really nice, though - at least to me. Judy doesn't like them at all.

- winoweenie - 05-29-2004

I thot the 97 and 99 Wight were both really good bottlings that still need time. 2-5 should be purrfik. WW

- californiagirl - 05-29-2004

If only I had some Lewelling!

I don't have the cellar capacity to hold on to them for an extended period of time. I have a 30 bottle cellar, and about 6 need
5 to 8 yrs or more. I told KC last night I'm trying to talk TB into letting me get at least a 100 btl one.

Thanks KC for the cases from Glenora!!!!

- Kcwhippet - 05-29-2004

There's a few more coming your way from Dave Wight, too.

Merci beaucoup

- Innkeeper - 05-29-2004

Chardonnay from New York to California! Chardonnay from New York to California! Yeah!!!

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 05-30-2004).]

KC, IK, Help!!

Opened 2002 Knapp Chardonnay tonite. Palest yellow I've ever seen. Even harder to describe. Med- bodied at the most. Green apple without the tart. Slight banana?!?! Very easy, smooth (?!) drinking. TB didn't like it, but doesn't usually like any whites. Very unlike any Chard I've had.

Forgot to add, there's the slightest sweetness. More in the after taste.

(Sorry, shoulda posted this on the Chardonnay thread.)

[This message has been edited by californiagirl (edited 05-29-2004).]

- californiagirl - 05-31-2004

Is there a way to move this post to the correct forum? Need help with this wine.

- Innkeeper - 05-31-2004

Can only move the whole thread, and since it started out about cabernet, that would not be appropriate. You could start a new thread under either Chardonnay or East Coast.

- wondersofwine - 06-01-2004

KC, I never saw the other vintages of Lleweling. Where were you hiding them?

- Kcwhippet - 06-01-2004

How did you miss them? They were all lined up in a row.

- Innkeeper - 06-01-2004

I saw them and we tried the '97 and loved it. Then we tried the '98 and it was as tight as a drum. Since I had already gone through all of WW's flight, we held off on the rest of your flight in defference to food wine. Sorry we missed the others.