WineBoard
97 Barrelli Creek - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 97 Barrelli Creek (/thread-4499.html)

- njjchiro - 02-10-2004

Tons of sediment. Decanted and let rest for about an hour. Color was a very dense dark garnet consistent to the rim. Nose showed dark ripe cherry with ripe berry and a good dose of earthiness (almost musky) and alcohol. Medium bodied with substancial tanninsbut to my tast short on fruit and long on alcohol.

I've read this is an extracted wine,I'm wondering if someone (ww?) can give me an idea about what this means. Additionally, is the presence of so much sediment a good or bad omen?

This is actually the oldest wine I've tasted in my short wine consuming life. I've had a 98 Silver Oak which I found far more enjoyable (except for the $$$$). Has anyone here tried this vintage and are your notes similar to mine?

I can't say I enjoyed this wine much.
$29.00 at a local shop.

- newsguy - 02-10-2004

below are my notes from april 2002, but i've had a bottle of this as recently as about six months ago. the barrelli creek cab has always been a favorite of mine and IMO one of the great QPRs out there. there's been a debate on the WS forum as to how this is aging. i think i'm down to four bottles and think it's been aging just fine. even upon released this wine has lots of sediment (it's unfiltered). someone with more experience can tell you whether the sediment level on this is a good or bad thing. but i've found the wine to have outstanding fruit. my thinking at seven years into this wine is i wouldn't be decanting it for an hour anymore. 15 minutes will do for me on the next bottle.

"thought i'd check in and see how this baby is doing. the answer: just fine, thank you very much.

after letting the bottle breathe for an hour, this nearly-black beauty is giving a deep nose of eucalyptus, black cherry and plums. tastes of same, plus oak, blackberry and a whisper of violets (i'm not kidding). tannins about the same as they were in november. big mouthful of big fruit and big, soft tannins.

very easy to enjoy now, but i'll be limiting myself to a bottle every six months or so to see how this wine's coming along. my usual wine shop got over 50 cases of this in december; now they're down to 19 bottles. i'm gonna grab another six bottles and you all might wanna snatch up what's left in your neck of the woods. great juice and a serious bargain at $19."

- winoweenie - 02-11-2004

NJ my take on extracted is the juice is left on the skins for an extended time to extract as much flavor as possible. As far as the sediment gos, the wine is, as posted unfined and unfiltered so it throws sediment. I normally have wines standing up in my cellar on a shelf in kind of a staging area for several days before I crack them suckers open. I too love all 3 of Ginas' vineyard designated wines. WW