WineBoard
1998 Lewelling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1998 Lewelling (/thread-4352.html)

- Innkeeper - 05-28-2002

1998 Lewelling Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon. Don't have a lot of data other than the power, 14.3% alcohol. No price as it was a gift. No appellation. They gather grapes from wherever and they are vinted and bottled at their St Helena, Napa Valley location. So, let's cut to the chase.

It was the perfect wine for our Memorial Day dinner. We decanted it two hours before eating, and it was wide open upon consumption. Loads of blackcurrent and black cherries upfront and on the nose. Perfectly balanced complexity with more fruit, modest oak, fully body, and tame tannin across the palate. At least a three alarm finish. Most impressed with the structure, a rarity in modern California cabs, making it a splendid food wine.

Matched with grilled porterhouse steak which had been marinated in red wine, patted dry, rubbed with OO and Morton steak rub, and gilled over charcoal with mesquite chips. With salad, it made for a wonderful holiday dinner. If you see it, try it.

- winoweenie - 05-28-2002

This is one of the oldest vineyards in Napa valley IK. Was established in 1864. Until the last 5 years were strictly grapegrowers but are now making some knock-out wines. Their 1997 from the Wight vineyard is almost a classic and will probably elevate to that in the next 3-4. Has been owned by the same family for all these 138 years. I haven't drank one as my notes from tasting in Napa said not till 04. And by todays standards are relatively modestly priced at the 50 mark. WW

- Kcwhippet - 05-28-2002

Ah, finally one I'm well acquainted with. We met them 3 years ago when we visited after a call. Anyway, here's their story. As WW said, they've been growing grapes on the same land continuosly since 1864. We met with Dave and Doug Wight (their mother Janice Lewelling's married name). They farm on 28 acres and Doug's the vineyard manager there as well as on another 275 acres for other wineries. They've been supplying Caymus, Galleron, Markham, Viader and BV for years and the Wagners at Caymus convinced them they should try their hand at making their own wine. So, they started doing just that in 1992 with Dave as the winemaker. They make two wines. The regular bottling comes from various blocks in their vineyard, and the Wight Vineyards comes from the block around their home. As you already know, IK, the wine is fabulous and the prices are great, too. The 1998 Napa bottling (496 cases) goes for $33.50 and the Wight Vineyard (175 cases) is $42. Match that against the prices the wineries they supply and it's hard to find such great wine at such great prices. If you get out to Napa you have to stop in and visit. Our last trip out, we stayed at their place for four hours. We kept trying to give them an out to kick us out so they could go about their business, but they wouldn't have it. Wonderful, friendly people and the best visit we've ever had. Since you're reciprocal, you can get their wine directly from them. Their phone is 707-963-1685 and their email is lewvyds@napanet.net.

- Kcwhippet - 05-28-2002

A little update. My info on Doug Wight was a little out of date. I checked more and it seems he now manages about 600 acres of vineyards around Napa Valley.