WineBoard
which one: 94 or 95 phelps insignia - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: which one: 94 or 95 phelps insignia (/thread-4319.html)

- newsguy - 11-30-2004

i have never had so much as a sip of insignia, but from all i've heard, i'm ready to invest in a bottle for a very special occasion. i can get a bottle of the '94 for $150 and the '95 (at least in the next 2 hours) for $125. good storage (so i'm told) on both, although each would be from a different seller. would either drink the bottle i buy in '07 or '12. so, HELP! which one folks?

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 11-30-2004).]

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 11-30-2004).]

- Glass_A_Day - 11-30-2004

Both rated 93-96 by Spectator and Parker with the same drinking window. I could go either way, but would grab the 95 I I had to choose.

- newsguy - 11-30-2004

thanks GAD. am now trying to get the 95. i'll let ya know if i'm successful.

- winoweenie - 11-30-2004

Both are outstanding wines. If drinking in 07 buy the 94, otherwise the 95. Both be scrumptious. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-30-2004).]

- newsguy - 12-03-2004

well, i ended up getting a bottle of the '95 for $107, which i consider a bit of a steal. total cost $133, including 2-day shipping. it's nearly double the most $$ i've ever spent on a bottle of wine, but for a very special occasion. am planning to drink in '07 on my 45th b-day. perhaps sometime down the road i might also be able to grab a '94. WW, do u think the '94 would still be at peak in '12? i've heard this one will go a while. am wondering if a '94 insignia could be the bottle for my big 5-0 celebration?

- winoweenie - 12-03-2004

Will handle it with whiskers to spare. Remind me and I'll open a 95 before you open yours. WW

- californiagirl - 12-03-2004

I just sent out KC 2 '99 Insignia for Christmas... got it for a steal. (Bought 2 for myself.) ww- what should the holding time on that be?

- winoweenie - 12-04-2004

Don't kill them babies. Open one in 10 and see. The 99 doesn't seem as tight as the 97 or 01 but with plenty of stuffing. Top-FDlight stuff!!!! WW

- newsguy - 12-06-2004

WW: will definitely remind you [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]
caligirl: i guess KC was pretty good this year. nice present!

- californiagirl - 12-06-2004

Yeah... KC is great, so's Judy! Too bad they live so far away. I keep trying to get them to move out here.

- newsguy - 12-06-2004

caligirl: FYI, i lived in SoCal for 7 years before coming to FLA in 98 to take a new job. i miss california badly. absolutely loved it out there. the variety of outdoors activities cannot be beat.

- Kcwhippet - 12-06-2004

I guess I have to keep track of ALL the posts on here. I let this one get by me. Well, cg is not so bad herself. Wait till she see what comes her way for Christmas! BTW, we'll get out there one of these days. A lot of it has to do with Judy's mom. It looks like she'll be into hospice within a week or two. Sad, but these things have to happen when the time comes. I'm ready to retire from my "real" job, so it will depend on what Judy sees for her future work path. Personally, I'd sure like to get out to CA. I've been thinking some place like Sebastopol, but that's getting expensive, like everyplace else. We may even end up in someplace like the Carson City, NV area. Whatever comes, I really plan to be out on the left coast (with Judy, of course).

- winoweenie - 10-18-2005

1994 Phelps Insignia.... Time agin to test this spectakular sucker...Sexy, seductive dark ruby/purple hummer. Smooth as a baby-behind, loads of spicy, red and black fruits on the schnozz and all come over on the palate with the addition of cassis and sweet allspice. Tons going on and still with enough tannins to improve another 4-8. A spectacular bottle that hits High-C above High-C as clear as Annie Ross. Clearly a classic bottling. 97/97. 50 by the box. 14.5% alc. WW