WineBoard
1997 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1997 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon (/thread-4120.html)

- 143petals - 11-21-2000

Just picked up this lovely bottle of wine at my local wine store. Has anybody had this wine before? Any surprize flavors I should look for?

Thanks,
143petals

- raggedy1 - 11-21-2000

I just had this bottle over the weekend. LET IT BREATHE! I tried it immediately after uncorking and found it very tightly wound. Then after about 30-45 minutes, the wine began to open up, revealing the lovely fruit to balance the tannins. Medium to Full bodied, it went great with food. This is a bottle that could have used 3 to 5 years aging, but will drink nicely if given a chance to breathe. So decant if you can...

I had never heard of this winery before trying and came away a believer. This was a great bottle ( assuming it isn't over 30 dollars ).

- winoweenie - 11-21-2000

Wow Guys, Tom Burgess would be crushed as he is one of the earlier settlers on the Siverado Trail. He makes, IMHO, one of Napas` best Q/P wines every vintage. And Raggidy you`re rite about this wine ageing.His wines will normally peak at 8-10 years and I`ve drank his 78 in 94 and it was still super. winoweenie

- raggedy1 - 12-04-2000

Well I found this wine at the local Wine Club for $27.99. I had earlier hoped that it would be less than 30 bucks, and I feel fortunate to have found some. WW, you're right, great QPR for this bottling....

- mrdutton - 12-04-2000

I am glad this post showed up when it did......

I just bought a half case of 1997 Burgess Napa Valley Zinfandel and a half case of 1989 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon, Vintage Selection, Napa Valley.

The zin was $17.16 a bottle and the cab was $26.25 a bottle.

I bought it un-tasted, unknown, on a whim as a Christmas present for one of my good friends here in Virginia Beach. His name is Michael Burgess.

So the above comments sound encouraging. WW, you comments would be greatly appreciated if you have TN's on either of these babies.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-04-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-04-2000

MrD, looks to me like Ole` " Fat- Fingers " Has struck agin`. Hopefully you meant to type !998 Vintage Select Cabernet. The 1989 vintage `twernt very good. The 97 Zin is a burly, brawny, mouth-fulling bottle of juice that I love. If`n it do be the 89, thin youse` be on yer` very own. Only bought 2 wines in 89. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 12-04-2000

No sir. Unfortunately this was no fat-finger error and not a senior moment either.

I said 1989......... Well that explains why they still have it in inventory.........

Maybe I should have asked first and spent later, but you know the story about the barn doors as well as I do.

Is there any chance that the '89 will be okay or is it just so far past its never achieved prime that there is no hope???

At least the Zin will be good!!!

- raggedy1 - 12-05-2000

Maybe the shop will let you exchange the 89 for the 97, which should cost about the same...
the 97 is a winner
hmm, I might have to go buy a few more bottles while I return to look for the zin!

- winoweenie - 12-05-2000

Guys, Let me say this one more time.....THE 88 AND 89 VINTAGES IN CALIF WERE NOT VERY GOOD. There`s a lot of these two vintages on the market and Methinks that a whale of a lot of it is being dumped from wineries libraries. There`s a store in DC selling 88 and 89 from lots of producers, One of which is Diamond Creek, for the release prices of the wine 11- 12 YAR ago. ( The DC`s at 20.00)I think Raggedy has a good idea, try one first, then if`n it`s like I think it mite be go back to your retailor and trade him for sumpin` else. Oh the price we lil` grubby fingers pay fer thinkin` we`ve stolt summpin`. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 12-05-2000

Well with that in mind, I'll be sure to let my gift reciever know that the '89 Cabernet Sauvignon needs to be tasted. If he says nary a thing but thanks for the great wine......... then my investment is free and clear.

If he says, this stuff is drek and it really sucks, then I'll tell him to stop drinking it right-away. Then I'll explain that I might be able to return the remainder to the retailer and trade it for the '97 or the '98..........

Think that is a good approach???? Did I hear you right, WW?

- mrdutton - 12-08-2000

I have, as yet, not contacted the retailer about returning the 1989 Cabernet Sauvignon.

They are out of stock for the 1997 but sometimes are able to restock. I placed an order for 4 bottles of the 1997. I also told them that if the 1997 does not restock to send me the 1998 as soon as they get it.

As an aside, they have a supply of the 1990 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon but the price is just slightly less than $50.00 a bottle. That is a little steeper than I'm willing to spend unless the wine is really worth it.

WW you have any thoughts on the Burgess 1990 Cab? If so, thanks.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-08-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-08-2000

MrD, 90 was a super year. Tom`s wines were, and still are very closed in. 50 beanies is a lot for a wine that was released at 20. At todays` pricing, however, 50 `aint a lot of money. The wine is getting drinkable and shows all the muscle that his Cabs are known for. Twill be a super bottle in another 2-4. WW

- raggedy1 - 12-08-2000

I just saw a shipment of the 97 arrive today at the local Wine Club. It looked like 3 or 4 cases. I've also seen plenty on the shelf at Beverages & More, so it doesn't seem like there is any shortage of the 97 (yet).

- winoweenie - 12-08-2000

Rags, the 97 was not only a terrific vintage, it was extremely prolific.They-be lots of this magnificant juice in the pipeline. You`ll be seeing this vintaage for the next year in quantities. How-m-som-ebber don` look fer` none of them 95 scorers from WS as them be picked up by them jerks wif` the rag in one hand and a wad of cash inna` other. LOTS of wine out there.winoweenie

- mrdutton - 12-09-2000

WW, the discounted price for the '90 worked out to be about $40.00 a bottle. I ordered a half case.

Since it is cold here, I asked them to call me and let me know about what it would cost to ship 2nd day air or overnight. That, of course, will drive the price up!

UPDATE: Shipping a half-case overnight to my place from their place will cost me just a tad bit less than 1 bottle. I told em to ship it. It arrives next Tuesday. It will be allowed to settle.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-09-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-09-2000

MrD, That`s a super price for a 10-yr-old from a great vintage. My last tasting note was in 98 and like I said it was still closed in but on the ascent. We can both open one at the same timw. WW

- mrdutton - 12-09-2000

WW, I'll let you know as soon as it has arrived and rested.

I guess a week or two would be sufficient for a rest.....

Then I'll break out the good beef, whip-up some garlic mashers and some haricot verts, with a touch of aged balsamico.

While all that food is being prepared, I'll pop one open and let it breath for a while.

Report forthcoming - around the New Year.

Did I mention this menu in another thread - seems like I might have.......??

Plus you'll also get a report on the taste of the '89, from my friend's point of view.

His TN's tend to be something along the lines of "THAT SUCKS" or "THAT'S SOME GUD STUFF", then he says, "I JUST LUV THAT MEERLOTT STUFF" and when we gonna get sum more of that GD BUJOLAY NUVAY stuff.......

Yud think iz frum Wes Virginny not Virginia......

We'll soon find out! (Both about the wine and about where I really live!)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 12-09-2000).]

- winoweenie - 12-10-2000

Well MrD, Sounds like your friend should be a mamber of the BAWDIES. That`s the extent of their tasting notes, ( Remember the notes they gave on the 92`s?) and they make use of the same descriptive adjectives. WW

- mrdutton - 12-12-2000

As I write this I'm sippin' on the Burgess 1997 Zin - ummmmmmmmmm.

The 1990 Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon arrived today. It was a LIBRARY RELEASE from the winery and had just recently arrived at the place from which I purchased it - sight unseen.

I'll be eating a lot of roast beast - beef, venison, lamb and maybe a buffalo roast or two - for a while.

Can't wait to give it a taste. Must let it rest for a while, short while, probably at least a week. Since it was shipped overnight express, it probably didn't get beat-up too badly (there were no dents in the box), yeah, right...... wonder how many times it was kicked or dropped?

- raggedy1 - 12-13-2000

MrD,
How much did you pay for the Burgess Zin? Care to expand on your opinion??? Good QPR?