WineBoard
1997 Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Cabernet Sauvignon (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-19.html)
+--- Thread: 1997 Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab (/thread-3905.html)

Pages: 1 2

- raggedy1 - 05-22-2001

found this today at the local wine store and couldn't wait to try it! Alright, I'm bad at describing the different flavors, but all I can say is WOW! For 18.99, this is a fantastic buy. Once the drying tannins blow off (about 20 minutes in the glass) the fruit emerges and what we have is a fantastically balanced wine. The fruit has a sweet edge (bing cherries?) to balance out the nice tannins lingering into a medium-long finish.
I bought the 1 bottle to try and I'm running back to the shop tomorrow to buy a few more....
my rating: 93/100

- Drew - 05-23-2001

Good price too, raggidy....$24 here on the right coast. BTW found some more '94 Barrelli nearby for $17. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 05-23-2001).]

- raggedy1 - 05-23-2001

still able to find the 94?!? lucky you - it's been long gone around here...
I'd be curious to hear your comparison of the 94 and 97

- newsguy - 05-23-2001

how lucky both of you are.

raggedy has a nearby store selling the 97 at $18.99 per. we've only got the 97 zin down here so far, and i'm sure when the cab arrives it will be a steeper price.

and drew, that treasure trove near you *still* has 94s around? and for only $17 a bottle?

i'm thinking of making a trip up your way later in the summer (home is in the MD suburbs of D.C.) any chance you think this place might still have a few 94s lying around then? if so, i'll definitely drive up toward bawlmer for a few bottles of that juice!

- Drew - 05-24-2001

Newsguy, email me before you make the trip and I'll scout out what's left and email you a list with prices. They have '92 Kenwood Artist Series for $56, '98 Rosemount Diamond Mags for $19, '94 Grand Archer Cab, '95 Frei Ranch Cab for $23, '98 Konunga Hill, even '97 Zabacco Heritage Vines Zin and on and on. They give me a 10% discount always on single bottles and I've yet to buy a bad bottle from them.

Drew

- newsguy - 05-24-2001

wow, drew, sounds like you've got quite a gem up there. i think i just felt a strong need to visit friends and family around my birthday (aug. 6) [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

thanks.

- raggedy1 - 06-05-2001

picked up 6 more if this one today - the last six the store had...
I'm sure they'll be getting more of this one and hopefully the price stays at $18.99!
delicious!

- newsguy - 11-06-2001

well, this wine finally made its way to florida. it was in my regular wine store for all of three days before someone bought their entire stock, so i was thrilled to find it in another wine store i visit when i cross the bay to tampa. i wasn't so thrilled about the $27.99 pricetag, but i'm used to paying a few more dollars at this store.

so, i was more than thrilled when they restocked at my regular store. bought a case ($18.99 per with case discount) without having even tasted a drop. that is a first for me. tonight, i opened the first of the 13 bottles i have, just in case i want to buy even more. fired up the grill and threw on a rubbed, aged new york strip.

very dark garnet/black/purple (the wine, that is). decanted for an hour, then sniffed. good nose of currants, plums, black cherries and a little oak. taste of same, minus the oak. a half hour later, eucalyptus kicked into the nose, and the black cherry became more pronounced. has a nice mouthfeel and a very good finish.

this wine is as tannic as any i've tasted. BUT these tannins don't cut off the finish like most do.

folks, help me out here. i'm thinking that means this wine has a very long way to go (10 or so years 'til peak) because of the heavy tannins, and this could develop into a fabulous wine. does that sound right?

as far as comparing the 97 to the 94 barrelli creek, i'd say the 94 is a bit more "in your face" and still fairly loaded with finish-stomping tannins. the 97 is a little more refined, but still very concentrated and even now loaded with sediment.

bottom line: i think the purchase of another 6-12 more bottles of the 97 are in my near future. and i don't think i'll try the next bottle until 2003. 92/100 (with the definite potential to move higher over the years).

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 11-06-2001).]

- raggedy1 - 11-07-2001

I don't think I'll be waiting two years before drinking another bottle. I'm thinking I'll be popping one open every couple of months! Even with the powerful tannin level, this juice is delicious right now...
(I'm going to have to buy more)

- winoweenie - 11-07-2001

Hi Rags and yep this is the real deal. For some reason thot I'd posted on this sucker and the 97 zin. Oh well, The memory's the 2nd thing to go. This is a keeper and a drinker as are all really balanced bottles. Will easily go 10 under good cellaring. ENJER! ( How about them D-Backs?) WW

- raggedy1 - 11-07-2001

I'm a Giants fan, but I did root for the D-backs over the Yanks (Brenly and Williams were "good" Giants).
The best series I've seen in recent memory...

- mrdutton - 11-11-2001

You mention Barelli Creek around here and the wine folks all gotta run to their 'puters and make sure I really know what I'm talking about.

No kidding. Went into a store the other day and asked about the Zin and the CS. The wine person there checked her computer and looked at me and said, "Well you were right, there is a Barrelli Creek; I sure am surprised about that!".

About five of the wine shops around here have "promised" that they will check with the Gallo Representative and then get back to me on the availability of the Zin and the CS juice.

Ain't one of 'em called yet.

In the meantime, I checked online with evineyard.com (they are legal in Virginia - they got a warehouse in Richmond!) and they stock a WHOLE BUNCH of Gallo of Sonoma and Gallo Barrelli Creek and Frei (sp?) and other specific Gallo Vineyards.

And the prices are consistent with those mentioned in posts here.

Well forget the local stores, I guess it is time to place an order or two on the internet.

Meanwhile, while the Barrelli Creek is on the way, the 98 Gallo of Sonoma CS ain't bad juice either for about 15 per. Can't wait to try the Barrelli.

- newsguy - 04-23-2002

thought i'd check in and see how this baby is doing. the answer: just fine, thank you very much.

after letting the bottle breathe for an hour, this nearly-black beauty is giving a deep nose of eucalyptus, black cherry and plums. tastes of same, plus oak, blackberry and a whisper of violets (i'm not kidding). tannins about the same as they were in november. big mouthful of big fruit and big, soft tannins.

very easy to enjoy now, but i'll be limiting myself to a bottle every six months or so to see how this wine's coming along. my usual wine shop got over 50 cases of this in december; now they're down to 19 bottles. i'm gonna grab another six bottles and you all might wanna snatch up what's left in your neck of the woods. great juice and a serious bargain at $19.

[This message has been edited by newsguy (edited 04-23-2002).]

- vinman - 04-23-2002

Thanks, 'cuz have yet to try the wine. Called a friend in the Twin Cities (one game ahead of Cleveland), and he claims to have found a stash of 1996 Barrelli Cab? Not knowing anything about the wine, is this worth a try at $22.79? Otherwise, I can have him buy the '97 at $27.99 in the same shop.

- RAD - 04-27-2002

This is a great CA cab for the $$. I recently found some more here in NYC and am loving it!

It is interesting about the sediment--for a not-so-old wine, this one has a lot--

RAD

- Drew - 09-01-2002

Finally popped one of these and maybe, because of all the hype, was somewhat disappointed. Not as rich as the '94 but similar fruit profile.... but the OAK! I was pulling splinters the rest of the night. Either the oak has seriously gained control of this bottle at this point in it's development or my phobia to oak has gotten worse. I have several others and won't touch for a long time.

Drew

RE: 1997 Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab - winoweenie - 06-01-2014

Found this old post and was delighted as I found an orphan of the 97 Barrelli Creek. opened the sucker thinking 'Kaint be but lo and be- this sucker is still alive. Guess we got lucky on the call. WW

RE: 1997 Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab - Innkeeper - 06-02-2014

Lucky you WW; but does this make your a post miner?

RE: 1997 Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab - winoweenie - 06-02-2014

You're rite there IK. BUT, I mined a post and had something relevant to say about the wine involved. I imagine Drew will get a kick out of this old bugger still delivering. WW

RE: 1997 Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab - Innkeeper - 06-02-2014

No problem; glad you enjoyed it.