WineBoard
wine and medications - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine & Health (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: wine and medications (/thread-3318.html)

- curious - 12-22-2002

Could you give me some information about how wines and medications mix, or maybe don't mix?

Most (all?) medications have a warning about drinking.
Is it safe to have a glass of wine occasionally, even though you have to take medications on a regular basis, and does it matter what type of medications you take?

I can ask my pdoc, but I am sure that he would say, "No drinking, of any type" just to be on the safe side, he would have to, by law, I think (due to the meds I take).

- Bucko - 12-22-2002

It obviously depends on the meds. Some have absolute contraindications, others are just relative contraindications.

- Innkeeper - 12-22-2002

Usually (with a capital U) it says on the bottle if you should not consume alcohol with a medication. Also, alcohol is a "downer", so if your meds are pulling you one direction or another it's a good idea to keep the wine corked.

- curious - 12-22-2002

Thanks Innkeeper,
I "suffer" from Bipolar, am not ashamed of it, but do realize it can limit me in many areas. Am very stable, have been so for the past two years.

I would like to have a glass for those special occasions, Christmas, anniversery, birth of new grandbaby on the way.

I KNOW of the dangers of mixing alcohol and drugs, a HUGE no-no, but what I am hoping is that a glass won't do that much harm. Plus, I can up my anti-depressants at that time, <BG>.

I do, however, want to be responsible.

- Innkeeper - 12-22-2002

Incidentally, a belated welcome to the Wine Board Curious. As luck would have it, the only one of my four daughters who likes wine has the same problem, and doesn't touch it anymore.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 12-22-2002).]

- curious - 12-23-2002

I appreciate your input. I will go ahead and ask Dr. Sam (my pdoc) to discuss it with me.
He is more willing to give me input than he would another patient, as I am working on my Master is Counseling, (next my PsyD!)and he knows I listen to what he says, not just as a patient, but as a student.

- Bucko - 12-24-2002

The only medicines that I readily know about that are contraindicated with alcohol are antabuse and Flagyl (which acts like antabuse). All other meds are not going to do bizarre things when taken in moderation, i.e. one glass, off of the top of my head anyway.

- curious - 12-24-2002

Thanks Bucko,
I am not one prone to drinking, even in my "wild" youth, <g>, when I went to the disco. I found it more fun to watch others get drunk and makes fools out of themselves.

My twin is also BP, and she told me she asked her pdoc about drinking, he remarked that a small glass, no more than once a week would be okay, as long as she watched her mood swings.
I will talk to my pdoc and keep him informed, and also my family doc, I ALWAYS let him know what is going on, and what meds I take, script,OTC or herbal.

- curious - 12-31-2002

I din't think and posted my pdoc's response to the meds and wine questions in the novice section.
So, I will slightly address it here, for anyone who pops in and wonders.

Always check with your personal doctor, as each person is unique, and so don't go with what one person is able to do.
That stated, my pdoc stated that I can have one glass a day, except when I know that I am cycling, and then, no wine.

He trusts me to regulate it, as he knows I have learned how to recognize my cycling, and am very responsible.

Again, I want to state, always check with your own personal doctor. I may joke that I won't let him know, but I always do, even it if it is after the fact, [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] .
So, for me, it has been okayed to have some wine.

- Innkeeper - 12-31-2002

Great!