WineBoard
Triangle Wine Experience Vintners' Tasting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Triangle Wine Experience Vintners' Tasting (/thread-2636.html)

- wondersofwine - 03-02-2005

Very brief notes on some of the wines I tried and liked.
Tried three Vision Cellars Pinot Noirs. I especially liked the 2000 Sonoma Pinot Noir. The nose was especially fragrant. I also had the 2002 Monterey Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Highlands and the 2002 Sonoma. The Monterey came on a little stronger, but I liked the elegance of the 2000 Sonoma P.N. Enjoyed speaking to the Vision Cellars owner/winemaker.

The La Noble Chardonnay from France was nice and I liked one of the red wines from Mas de la Dame, Provence.
I enjoyed the Buchli Station Pinot Noir from the Carneros Region (Bouchaine Vineyards). The 2002 sells from the winery for $12.99, making it a good QPR.
Unfortunately, Markham was pouring Merlot, not Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sanford was pouring Chardonnay, not Pinot Noir.
I liked the Chehalem Three Vineyards Pinot Noir from Oregon.
Tried three Coturri wines (the Sangiovese, the Cabernet Sauvignon, and a red blend) and found only the blended wine to be drinkable. (I had been curious about Coturri wines having heard about his maverick production methods and the unpredictability of his wines).
Tried some Chatham Hill (North Carolina) wines but wasn't that impressed.
The 2002 Hess Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa was pretty nice. Is that positioned between the Hess Select and the Hess Collection? The Steele Pinot Noir, Carneros was good but I didn't write down the vintage. Probably 2002.
The Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne, 1998 was nice but not very bubbly--may have been open for awhile.
I liked the Trimbach Gewurztraminer (always a favorite of mine) but was particularly impressed with the Trimbach Gewurz Ribeaupierre (approx. $38). Very rich and nice. Will have to check its availability for a special dinner or occasion.
Thought the Renwood Sierra Foothills Zinfandel was only so-so. Liked the Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc from New Zeland. Also liked Drylands S.B. from Marlborough, New Zealand. Didn't like the Wynn's Coonawarra Estate Shiraz as well as their Cabernet Sauvignon although I have liked previous vintages.
The Beaucannon Estate Cabernet Sauvignon was good but I didn't get the vintage (2001 or 2002?) Found the Selby Syrah only okay. Missed the table with the 7 Deadly Zins and Fire Station Red Shiraz as well as one import each from Italy, Spain and Australia.
The Korbel Rose sparkling wine had some appeal to me.
Wild Horse Pinot Noir from Central Coast not too bad for an inexpensive P.N.
I didn't feel like I came away with any "discoveries" other than the Chehalem Three Vineyards Pinot Noir and the Trimbach Gewurztraminer Ribeaupierre. The Ribeaupierre has been rated 87 and 89 by "Wine Spectator" and Stephen Tanzer for some recent vintages. I would have probably rated it 88-90 points.

- Boaz Bagbag - 03-17-2005

umm, must be interesting!