WineBoard
Big Sunday Tastings Looming - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Big Sunday Tastings Looming (/thread-2634.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-09-2001

First of all, greetings and gratitude to all veterans with Veterans Day on the horizon. Fayetteville has a big Veterans Day parade occurring on Saturday.

Sunday after church I am heading for Raleigh to a $10 tasting of French wines from a particular importer. I especially look forward to the red and white burgundies but there will be some wines from southern France also. I will stay in Raleigh for dinner at Enoteca Vin Restaurant (a special dinner with Australian wines concluding with shoofly pie and port). Since I have Monday off work, this is good timing for some indulging.

Will report back sometime next week on the
French wines, Australian wines, and the tasting of extraordinary wines that took place recently.

- wondersofwine - 11-14-2001

The Australian wine dinner was canceled for lack of sign-ups but the tasting of French wines with distributor David Schildknecht did take place.
Seventeen wines from Champagne, Burgundy, and the Loire were available for tasting of which I sampled ten. I didn't even get to the table of wines from Southern France.
In the best buy category: '99 Boyer Bourgogne Blanc at sale price of $15.29 and '99 Javillier Bourgogne "Forgets" at same price.
The '99 Javillier Meursault "Tillets" has a nice aroma, good acid structure/backbone and some oakiness. Medium-long finish. At sale price of $31.49 it is less a bargain. I prefered the '99 Boyer Meursault "Charmes" at $44.99. This premier cru has the fruitiness to suggest apples and I took home a bottle to consume with food and develop more detailed tasting notes. I asked to sample only one Anjou wine, so Mr. Schildknecht suggested I try the novelty--an Anjou wine made from the Chardonnay grape (rather than chenin blanc). The '99 Mosse Anjou "La Joute" was a deeper gold color than most '99 white Burgundies (maybe the extra sunshine and warmth of the Anjou region). On the palate it reflected honey, baked apples and maybe just a touch of butterscotch and finished long. I would consider buying it at the regular price of $24.99 but snapped up a bottle at the special sale price of about $13. Another best buy!
The '99 Francois Cotat Sancerre Rose' I passed because I already had three bottles at home and had been drinking it the last couple nights. (See under Sancerres) Next came the red burgundies. The '98 Groffier Bourgogne reminded me of blackberries, was pleasant for quaffing, and not tannic except for the finish. (Sale price $17.99) The '99 Bizot Vosne-Romanee did not impress me enough to spend $44.99 at the regular price or the sale price of $29.99. The '99 Arlaud Morey-St.-Denis "Millandes" had a great aroma and presented cassis, and dark berries on the palate. A very pleasant burgundy at $44.99 or sale price of $35.99. Then the '99 Arlaud Morey-St.-Denis "Ruchots" becoming quite a favorite of mine after three tastings (I have three bottles at home). I prefered it to the Millandes just as I have prefered it to the Arlaud Gevrey Combottes in other tastings. The last wine I sampled was the '99 Rimbert St. Chinian "Schiste" a grenache/syrah blend which must have left me unimpressed. I have no notes on it. Quite a bountiful tasting for $10 a person and I didn't even attempt the table of wines from Southern France. Besides the Anjou chardonnay, I took home a bottle of Meursault "Charmes".