WineBoard
Attended "World-Class" Tasting in Raleigh - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Attended "World-Class" Tasting in Raleigh (/thread-2610.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-22-2002

$60 a person for 14 wines in flights of two for comparisons. It gave me an opportunity to try the following which were firsts for me: a Batard-Montrachet, a Tignanello, a Sassicaia, a Ridge Montebello and a Robert Foley claret, and Luddite Shiraz.
in order of presentation
#1 '95 Veuve Cliquot Grande Dame Champagne
#2 '90 Laurent-Perrier Grande Siecle Champagne
I prefered #1, perhaps because it was 62% pinot noir grapes but couldn't pin down the flavors to describe it
#2 was yeasty, baked bread nose, dryer taste, bit of smoke, more bubbly than #1 and possibly 50/50 chardonnay to pinot noir

#3 '00 Boillot Corton-Charlemagne
#4 '00 Verget Batard-Montrachet
Grand cru white burgundies.
I had tasted a vertical of Corton-Charlemagne at the Nantucket Wine Festival. This one seemed watery at first sip but developed aroma and flavor within a few minutes. Intense minerality which is typical of C-C.
The Batard-Montrachet was a darker gold color than the C-C. Butterscotch on nose; overall impression of a richer, lusher wine. I liked both very well, perhaps giving the nod to the Batard-Montrachet but C-C is almost always less expensive and might be a choice in place of the more expensive grand crus with Montrachet in the name.

#5 '99 Laurent Nuits-St-Georges "Boudots"
#6 '00 Raphet Chambertin-Clos de Beze
red burgundies including a grand cru
I had tried the "Boudots" before at a wine tasting restaurant and found it too young to really judge. Thought it had potential to be a very nice wine. Same verdict last night.
This was my second taste of Clos de Beze from Raphet. The '99 was much more impressive to me. The '00 Clos de Beze was elegant but seemed to lack complexity and intensity. Cherry/raspberry nose, cherries on palate, mouth-filling yet elegant. I remember the '99 as a WOW! wine in both aroma and taste.
The 2000 seemed a bit pale in comparison.

#7 '99 Tignanello
#8 '99 Sassicaia
Super-Tuscans
My preference was for the Sassicaia and that seemed to be the consensus at my table. It was mainly from cabernet sauvignon, while the Tignanello was 80% sangiovese. Both were purple-red. The Tignanello had a berry (or cherry) nose. The Sassicaia had the cassis element along with some cedar.

#9 '97 Giacosa Barolo "Rocche di Falleto"
#10 '96 Gaja Barolo "Sperss"
Piedmont Barolos
Both almost mahogany in color. The Giacosa was more translucent and more forward vintage. It reminded of dark cherries. The #10 seemed to carry more weight. Both should probably have more cellar time. I preferred the Giacosa but don't think Barolos are really my type of wine. I would like to try one ten years old or older just to be sure.

#11 '97 Ridge Montebello
#12 '99 Robert Foley Claret
California Bordeaux-like blends
I prefered the Robert Foley wine from Spring Mountain grapes (similar to Pride claret). It was very pleasant and balanced and would stand up to beef dishes. Had some intense fruit with the cassis predominant. Described by a wine shop employee as an "in-your-face" wine. Presenter said the Montebello is equated to Latour wines for power and class. It was only 12.5% alcohol which contrasts with some of the current Ridge zinfandels which top 14% or 15%.

#13 '99 Oliver's Taranga Shiraz
#14 '99 The Luddite Shiraz
Taranga from McLaren Vale, Australia
The Luddite from Barossa district, Australia
#13 was 14.5% alcohol; #14 was 14.9%
Both were dark purple color; almost opaque
The Taranga was more viscous; very extracted
I had tried the Taranga before and on both tastings was not excited by it. I prefer a
shiraz with more finesse or dexterity (can you use dexterity as a wine term?) Of the two, I prefered the Taranga. The Luddite had a "burn" to it--I think from the overly peppery spice element. But it could have been partly from the percentage of alcohol.
I would prefer Jones "LJ" Shiraz, Tin Shed Single-Wire Shiraz, Kay Hillside Shiraz or, at the higher end, Veritas "Hanish" Shiraz or Three Rivers Shiraz.
Great tasting. Enjoyed the other tasters too. One couple told of their last visit to Italy and others at the table of trips to Burgundy. The consensus was that it is easier to do spontaneous tastings in Burgundy than in Bordeaux and that the Burgundians were more generous in pouring the "good stuff."

- Innkeeper - 11-22-2002

Certainly well worth the 60!

- wondersofwine - 11-22-2002

I thought so too. Who knows if I would ever get to try a Sassicaia, etc. without a special tasting like this.