WineBoard
Wine tasting at Seaboard Wine and Tasting Bar, Raleigh - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Wine tasting at Seaboard Wine and Tasting Bar, Raleigh (/thread-2488.html)

- wondersofwine - 02-09-2009

On Friday afternoon some of the distributors and winemakers participating in Triangle Wine Experience visited local wine shops to sell and sign their bottles (called Sip, Shop and Sign.) I went to Seaboard where we had a winemaker from Honig, Daniel Haas of Vineyard Brands, and an owner of a Napa winery. I started with the Vineyard Brands booth because the Honig booth was pretty crowded as the first station. The wines offered were basic Perrin entries of white, rose and rouge from Cote du Rhone. Unfortunately he wasn't pouring the Chateauneuf du Pape Beaucastel or even the secondary label, Coudoulet (which I like.)
The rose' was rather nice--60% Cinsault grape.

Then I moved over to the Honig table. Kristin Belair, winemaker, was present but another lady was doing the pouring. She had two versions of Sauvignon Blanc and the Cabernet Sauvignon. I like their regular Sauvignon Blanc and the 2007, from Napa Valley was quite attractive, crisp with a nice citrus nose. The Sauvignon Blanc Reserve, Rutherford sees some oak. I almost didn't try it because I prefer S.B. from stainless steel but decided to give it a try. It was rather nice really--good flavor with some nuances from oak but I missed the crisper nose. The 2006 Honig Cabernet Sauvignon retails for about $40. It was an amethyst color with some transparency. I got a red currant nose and dark raspberry flavors. Very nice and not too tannic. The winemaker agreed that it reflect red fruits more than dark fruits. I ended up purchasing a bottle but didn't take the time to get it signed by the winemaker.

I also bought a bottle from the third tasting booth. Apparently the winery is called Gabrielle Collection and is sold mainly at the winery or possibly by mailing list. The wines are from Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon grapes and Lake County Meritage or Bordeaux blend grapes. Vertex is the entry level and sells for $20. The wine that impressed me was the 2004 Juxtaposition North Coast proprietary red blend that includes some Bordeaux blend grapes plus Syrah. 14.2% alcohol. It was tight on the first sip but starting revealing its fruit by the second sip. Quite luscious and at $36.99 I felt it was reasonably priced for an attractive Cal blend (it is $38 on the winery website.) I liked it better than the Equilateral Cabernet Sauvignon (at $49) and the Equilateral C.S. Cask 321 (at $59) so bought a bottle. While at Seaboard I also picked out a La Foret Burgundy/Pinot Noir and another wine (I think a white wine but I don't recall what it was without checking at home.)

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2009

What is the LaForet Pinot going for these days. It is an old favorite.

- wondersofwine - 02-17-2009

Checked my receipt over the weekend, IK, and I paid $17.99 for the wine at a Raleigh wine store. I will be opening it tonight and will post a tasting note later this week.