WineBoard
Report on Triangle Wine Experience - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Wine Events & Festivals (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Report on Triangle Wine Experience (/thread-2434.html)

- wondersofwine - 02-07-2002

Thursday, 31 January I attended the wine dinner with Robert Mondavi Wines at Sullivan's Steakhouse in Raleigh. The chef was delighted to branch out from steaks and seafood and show his talents. As an apperitif we had a Pinot Grigio from the Robert Mondavi family of wines. This was also poured for the first course of ahi tuna tartare (wonderful tuna with finely chopped cilantro and green onions and lemon and lime juice). Even the lady at our table that doesn't like tuna, liked this! I don't have the menu with me and I'm not sure what our second course was (all very small portions as is best for a five-course meal). We had an Arrowood Chardonnay. Robert Mondavi recently bought Arrowood but Richard Arrowood still makes the wines and RM helps promote and market them. Then seared salmon with Bryon or Byron Santa Maria Pinot Noir. The pinot noir was a big hit at our table. I loved it!
It retails for around $25.00. We had a Tuscan wine (partnership with Robert Mondavi) with another course--too tannic for me. Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve with beef Wellington--wonderful wine but beyond my financial means ($125). It was about 75-80% cabernet and also had merlot and other grapes for a Bordeaux-like blend. I can't recall the name of the dessert wine but dessert was orange creme brulee in what looked like an espresso cup (I told you it was small portions!) The creme brulee was delicious and may have had Cointreau or Grand Marnier as part of the sauce.
Friday night I went to "Wine Brats" of Raleigh wine tasting at the North Carolina Museum of History. I will group together wines from Friday and Saturday night (Gala and Auction at the North Carolina Museum of Art) under Rants and Raves. After the tasting I ate at a popular Italian restaurant, 518 West Jones in Raleigh.
Saturday at 11:00 I went back to Sullivan's Steak House for a wine tasting seminar put on by Robert Mondavi. We tasted water with weak tannin dilution, stronger dilution, and then a Coastal Sauvignon Blanc out-of-balance with tannin. Same for oak extract with water and over-oaked Sauvignon Blanc. Then acid (citric acid) in water and control wine. Then sugar-water and over-sugared wine. We also saw how sugar resides on the taste buds and distorts the next wine you drink. Therefore, taste dry wines before sweeter ones. Also discovered that tannin does not have smell so a wine may have an enticing bouquet but taste bad with too much tannin.
We had an actual Coastal Sauvignon Blanc with proper balance for comparison. It is aged six-months in oak but the oak does seem to be in balance. The tasting seminar was followed by a yummy buffet lunch--especially enjoyed the wild mushrooms and delicate asparagus.
Saturday evening was the Gala and Auction with more wine tasting. Men in tuxedos and women in glittery and/or sophisticated gowns (mostly black but some burgundy or wine seen). Silent auction where I was outbid and live auction where I didn't dare bid. The Grove Park Inn 3-night escape went for $1400,
a tasting of 10 Bordeaux from famous chateaux went for $1800, vertical collection of Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon went for $2700, etc. I got to meet new friends and hear about wine dinners on Thursday at other restaurants with other vinters. All seemed to be more than pleased with the food and wine. Best desserts at the Gala (various caterers) were chocolate bread pudding with caramel sauce and an Italian custard with mixed berry topping. Also had a very rich candy of mint chocolate, a tiny lemon custard in pastry shell, barbequed pecan pork sandwich, blue cheese with David Bruce Pinot Noir, and other tidbits--plenty to eat.
We saw a video production of the children at Frankie Lemmon School who benefit from the money raised. They raised over $100,000 at the auction alone.
At the Thursday night dinner I became friends with a couple from Chapel Hill who have a new home and are considering converting an extra linen closet into a wine cellar. Their doctor friend wants to select the wines to stock it. They invited me to stay with them next year if I attend Triangle Wine Experience again. I'm not sure they were serious but I hope so--especially if they get that wine cellar built and stocked!

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-07-2002).]

- winoweenie - 02-08-2002

WOW...this sounds like a killer experience. I'm delighted that the south is finally getiin' it on in the wine scene. Having lived in Dalton Ga for the better part of 3 years in the 70s' it is pleasing to see the giant strides that Atlanta has made since that time. Keep up the great game. WW